iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tree farmer skidder

Started by bghunt, June 12, 2011, 07:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bghunt

I can get my cable to come out ,but when i go to pull it back in the drum on the winch only turns about an inch.Its been sitting a couple years,anyone have an idea

treefarmer87

the bands are bad maybe, or the little ring in the cup is bad.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

bghunt

Ive never had one apart,is it very hard to get it apart or just take it completely off the machine

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum bghunt.  Are you dealing with a Gearmatic winch?  It would be a key piece of info for anyone venturing assistance to you on your winch.  On the Gearmatic winches, you pull the side cover Usually the right side, (the side that the control pressure line goes into, and the side the swivel fitting is on).  This gives you access to the bands, and the actuating cylinder, youwill be able to determine what your problem is when you get the cover off.  I might suggest you get a bottle of Rust Reaper (sponsor of this forum), besides it is really the best penetrant I have seen, bar none, to get the side cover bolts of.  They have a tendency to be stuck pretty good, especially if the machine has been out in the weather for some time.  You will have to pull the center bearing nut off as well, it is held on by a lock bar, bolt, and is in the center of the cover.  Bands need to be oil free, and drum needs to be burnished of rust, then as long as you have proper clearance set up for the brake band and clutch band, put the cover back on, hook up to a big tree or stump, and pull cable out a few times to "burn in" the winch. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bghunt

Thanks i will have to try that,i will be able to take a look at it in a couple weeks,will let you know whats up.

HiTech

If it is a Tree Farmer skidder the transmission has to be in a gear for the winch to work. I normally use 2nd gear for winching. The Forward/Reverse lever in neutral and the brake locked.

Thank You Sponsors!