iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NZ Truck Pictures

Started by Ianab, November 07, 2019, 03:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Here's a couple of nice loads of pine parked up for the night just around the corner. Because driving hours are logged and trucks GPS tracked, but the companies want the max loads, a lot of the local drivers will park their trucks up near home. We are 1/2 way between the major harvest sites and the port / sawmill, so a couple of the local drivers get a load 1/2 way, and park it up by the sports field where it's not in anyone's way for the night. 

Trying to get clever with the sunset, but only so much you can do with a cellphone camera. 

Trucks are H plated, which is "High Productivity Vehicle". Probably rated for 55 ton, will have on-board scales and all the fancy ABS brakes and stability control to get the H cert. Drive wheels have adjustable tire pressure so the driver can drop the pressure for off-road traction, and pump up again for highway. This is pretty much the standard config on the new trucks. The older ones are similar, but only 2 axles on the rear trailer (vs 3), and max out at ~50 ton. 

I missed the picture the other day of them parked there with only 5 logs on the trailer, and it was a ful load. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

A-z farmer

Very nice pictures and description Ianab.
The technology out there is just amazing and I am sure very expensive.Thank you for sharing .
Zeke

TeaW

Ian - what % is sawed there compared to exported and what species was the 5 log load ?
TeaW
TeaW

thecfarm

Always enjoy looking at trucks from away.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Pine Ridge

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

barbender

Those are impressive rigs👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

They sure like big air intake pipes! I would think those trucks would have a limited range they could drive, I only see one saddle tank. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Old Greenhorn

I think this is partly the reason they like big & high air intakes in the southern hemisphere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0hkHUjx1ns
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

We see high intake pipes occasionally on the wannabe off roaders but never on logging trucks. :o The second steer axle is very interesting, used here on concrete mixers to max the payload and keep the wheelbase short but the loggers use either a tri drive or a jeep.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

moodnacreek

Great photos. What kind of wood are they hauling?. It looks like growth season with so much bark off.

Ianab

Have to admit, the air intakes and exhausts are basically for show. I guess if you are paying that much for a truck, a little more to "pimp my ride" isn't going to hurt  ;D

Wood is Radiata pine which is 90% of NZ forestry, and 99% locally. The oversize load would have been been an "old man" pine. Normal harvest age is 25-30 years, but if you leave one they can get to 4ft+ dia in 75 years. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

snowstorm

the high air intake may be the higher it is the less dust on dirt roads. no twin steer trucks around here. i have seen them on vancouver island and eastern canada

Ianab

Quote from: Resonator on November 07, 2019, 08:24:51 AM
They sure like big air intake pipes! I would think those trucks would have a limited range they could drive, I only see one saddle tank.
Te Wera forest to Port Taranaki is only about 50 miles. We are about 1/2 way between, and have 4 stations they can refuel trucks at. So range isn't an issue. Logs coming from Whanganui (~100 miles) are now hauled by train. The cheaper freight over that distance makes up for the double handling. 
From home I can only drive ~500 miles and then the road ends anyway.  :D
The twin steer keeps the axle weight legal on the HPV rated trucks. 
I'm not sure on the exact %, but maybe 50% gets sawed locally, and 50% shipped out as raw logs to China, Japan, India, Malaysia and Korea mostly. US tends to buy sawn and dried  Douglas Fir which is grown in the South Island. If does better in the cooler climate. Takes a bit longer to mature, but the wood is worth more.

Ianab

Where a lot of the logs are heading. 

They appear to be sending out approx a shipload (the bulk carrier on the right) per week. They go to various markets China, India, Malaysia, Japan etc. 

Nebraska

Interesting  picture. I would  have to stand and watch that a little while. I looked at it and thought about how I've only actually seen the Ocean a handful of times in my life.  Of course where I live it's a long ways away, t shirt slogan from my childhood... Nebraska-"longtime no sea". 

dgdrls

Nice photos Ian,  thanks for sharing.

D

thecfarm

From stump to ship. ;D  Thank you
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!