iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 880 failed to start

Started by Busysawyer, August 31, 2018, 10:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

Something really strange is going on with this saw. Just for kicks I started it this morning before I was leaving to bring it in. What do ya know, the darn thing is running like a top. I had some work I needed to do with the saw so I kept it here. I did go to the dealer just to talk to them in person and let them know what was going on with it. I asked about the warranty and replacement of the saw if it keeps giving me trouble.  They said i actually have a two year warranty on it, not the 1 year I thought. They said next time it acts up bring it in and they will fix or replace it . I ran through 6 tanks of fuel today without a single hiccup. This thing cuts so well when it's running right and spinning a sharp chain. 
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

btulloh

Sounds like you've got a good dealer.  

It's takes a good while to trust a horse after he bucks you off for no reason.  Maybe that saw will straighten up and fly right now.  
HM126

YellowHammer

Sounds like you have a loose wire, intermittent electrical issue or intemittant choke, fuel or airflow issue.   The carbs been replaced so it's probably not the problem, but when the carb was replaced, it caused a temporary disturbance and "fixing"of the real problem, which comes and goes.  The key is that it can heal itself, so something is moving, reconnecting, or leaking/resealing.  Is the choke linkage opening and closing properly?  What about the fuel lines? Are they tight, no kinks or crimps? Is the compression release functioning correctly?  Are the throttle linkages intact? Loose wire or issue with electrical system can heal themselves, choking and un-choking can heal them selves, compression release can heal itself, bad plug wire connection, intermittent kill switch ground, etc can heal themselves.  Is the gas cap vent working properly?    

Do you have a tachometer?  Or an ohm meter? Spark indicator?  I'd open it up and start tugging and testing to make it fail, and identify the root cause.

Or better yet, when it starts acting up again, walk in the front door, lay it down on the counter, grab a new one off the shelf, and swap it out.  Let them play with it.   ;D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!