iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how to save time, money and resources

Started by doc henderson, February 02, 2019, 11:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

So my Dad was born in 1935.  His Dad had polio as a child.  There were 12 children in and around the depression.  My shop and yard would indicate I do not throw much away due to the way I was raised.  People who criticize all my stuff often stop here first before going to lowes.  Many of you are about my age, so thought what things you do as a result of years of experience and or upbringing.  My Dad could fix anything.  He once spent hours filing down carbon brushes from one electric razor to fix another one.  I save boxes from work, make fire starters from wax from peoples nearly spent candles and wood shavings, I recycle glass and aluminum.  We burn wood in the house and shop.  I have bought 3 woodstoves in the past year that I turned around and sold at the same price to friends and family cause they were a good deal.  lets see what you all got.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

At Philmont Scout Ranch,  we were taught latrine rules.  You were never to pee in a latrine.  It added to the smell and also the volume.  If only more solid waste was deposited there, they never had to have them pumped.  Imagine if all the all the men (and poss. a few ax women) in the country would go outside we would save 1.6 gallons of water per flush time lets say six times a day.  157 million males in US.  1.507,000,000 gallons of (otherwise drinkable) water per day, in the USA.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

As a resident, I learned to carry a partial full styrofoam cup of coffee in my teeth. I could take stairs and go through doors , and walk about 4 mph and not spill a drop.  There is a lip along the top.  After working 36 hours, I would start undressing in the parking lot on the way to my apartment.  Once inside, the clothes hit the floor, go pee and go to sleep.  I keep telling my wife, that started my habit of clothes on the floor, but she still is not havin it after almost 21 years.

Magicman

Quote from: doc henderson on February 02, 2019, 11:36:19 AMOnce inside, the clothes hit the floor, go pee and go to sleep.
OK, now what was your excuse for not peeing outside and saving another 1.6 gallons of water  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

I was not that sophisticated back in those days.   :D

doc henderson

Remember at Philmont, the liquids go outside and only solids go inside the latrine.  I hope you are able to go inside the latrine at this point.  Hope you are feeling better. 

doc henderson

I was probly sittin so I could brush my teeth at the same time

doc henderson

Ideally these ideas would not sacrifice quality, safety or dignity.  
Balancing time and money is the key in my opinion

thecfarm

I have piles of metal from my past job. My FIL don't like "junk" around,he only has about 250 square foot lot. So guess where he goes for his junk when he needs to build something? 
My wife calls it junk too.  ::)  But when I make her something from that junk,it's not junk anymore.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

I just got to work.  I got home about 12:30 last night.  So I put my pens, card keys that get me in the gate, trauma shears, and stethoscope on the center console.  S & W 40 goes in the house.  with 12 hour + shifts and 2 hour drive time less eat, sleep, poop and pee time. I can get in my car and all my work stuff is ready to go back in pockets.  Kinda like some of your work boxes.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on February 02, 2019, 11:40:40 AM
Quote from: doc henderson on February 02, 2019, 11:36:19 AMOnce inside, the clothes hit the floor, go pee and go to sleep.
OK, now what was your excuse for not peeing outside and saving another 1.6 gallons of water  ???
I was assuming he did go back outside after the clothes hit the floor.   :o
Although it would be more efficient for the clothes to hit the ground first, keeps the entryway clean and saves steps.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

lxskllr

I used to do more private package mail, and I'd save old protective envelopes, remove addresses, then use them again, lockstitching them closed with the strings from the tops of cat litter bags.

I save all plastic bags shelf food comes in. I either use them for food again, or for the bigger ones especially, put used cat litter in them. Extra insurance for when they go into the impossibly thin plastic grocery bags, which I don't get anymore for the most part. I use boxes at aldi, and at other stores, carry stuff out in my hand/pockets, or take them out loose in the cart.

I buy everything I can used. Usually not ICE tools. I'm not qualified to give a proper inspection, though my last riding mower was used. I have most of the tools I need now though.

At work, I repair most of my gear, and make a bunch of field supplies. If I complained, I could get newer/better gear, but I spend other people's money the same way I spend my own. The stuff I have works well enough.

I recycle everything I can, and compost all compostables. In the winter, paper products get burned in the stove. If not for a cat with a kidney condition, and using lots of litter, I'd make < 1 grocery store plastic bag of trash per week.

edit:
For shaving, I've used a straight razor since the early 90s. All gear was bought used for <$50. Almost all the shaving soap I've gotten has been purchased through used channels. I doubt I've spent more than $5/year my whole life on shaving.

doc henderson

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 02, 2019, 01:43:48 PM
OK, now what was your excuse for not peeing outside and saving another 1.6 gallons of water  ???
Although it would be more efficient for the clothes to hit the ground first, keeps the entryway clean and saves steps.  :)
That is what windows are for!!! :D  be careful of the screens 

terrifictimbersllc

Save money if don't bother to rinse the screen.  :laugh:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

doc henderson

So I grew up in a small Ks town of 8,000 then, 6,000 now.  I always had "man" jobs.  I worked for a wholesale place loading and unloading trucks.  I wrestled 98 pounds and did not have to loose weight, age 13 freshman year. I worked with an older guy (22y/o) called Kojack cause he shaved his head.  Not common in 1974.  He was odd cause one minute he is telling you that if you grow a beard, to shave your neck so people know you are growing a beard and not just unshaven (very GQ) and the net minute laced with f bombs and detailed discussions about the opposite sex.  We did bids for schools for canned goods, and they would send 2 of us to unload pallets of #10 cans.  We were driving through Manhattan (Ks, home of K-state) and pulled over along the highway and ran across 4 lanes of traffic.  He went into a grocery store and got a pound of bologna, and next door a loaf of bread from the day old rainbow bread co.  He tossed it all in the seat and said this is what we are going to eat today.  Might of been a chocolate milk but I thing it all cost around a dollar.  It was cheap.  Sadly a few year later at a party under a river bridge (my bother was there) he reportedly made a comment about a guys sister.  The guy had just gotten out of jail, and hit "kojack" in the head with a pipe and killed him.
ps:I still shave my neck when I start my beard, I don't eat a lot of bologna, although I may be full of it! :)

doc henderson

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 02, 2019, 05:28:41 PM
Save money if don't bother to rinse the screen.  :laugh:
there is ammonia in the urine.  just like the best cleaners!

terrifictimbersllc

Hey maybe try it on dirty bands!  Who would have thought of this!  
At home, in the lube tank or right on the band between cuts. 

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: doc henderson on February 02, 2019, 04:50:36 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 02, 2019, 01:43:48 PM
That is what windows are for!!! :D  be careful of the screens
Remember to take off your nail apron first too. :-[

Maybe just laziness but I try to consolidate tasks to reduce trips. I put the trash and ash bucket on the porch then dump it/them when I go to the mailbox, feed the dogs and throw more firewood in the box while I am out there then bring the ash bucket back in when I finish outside. I put the ash bucket at the top of the stairs and take it and dirty clothes down to wash when I go downstairs. When I go feed the stock I will throw a bale of hay on the ATV and keep a cable in the basket and often drag back a fallen tree or log to cut for firewood or to the brushpile for future burning if in the way.
  I typically lay out the clothes I will wear the next morning the night before to be sure everything I need is clean and ready to use. I have a basic kit of mill supplies established and kept in key areas so I can quickly grab them and load the truck and not forget some critical tool or spare part.
  When sawing I am anal about saving everything off a log I can almost reasonably use from saving lots of 1X4s, my edgings for tomato stakes or stickers or cutting thin strips off 8/4 pieces for crate making, etc. I save small pieces and cut short boards in many cases especially for high value woods like walnut or cherry. I'm cutting a lot of dying ash and often save 9-10 inch tops and make 6X6 crib blocks out of them.  These items don't sell fast but periodically a customer will come pay a decent price for a 30-40 inch slab for a bench, shelf or top for an old sewing machine table and someone will want all my 1X4s for strips under a tin roof on a barn he is building.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 02, 2019, 06:56:52 PMMaybe just laziness but I try to consolidate tasks to reduce trips.
Sometimes though I have to remind myself "God only gave me two hands".  

doc henderson

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 02, 2019, 06:59:15 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 02, 2019, 06:56:52 PMMaybe just laziness but I try to consolidate tasks to reduce trips.
Laziness is getting others to do your tasks, unless its your kids, then you are a good parent.  Is the two handed comment still referring to the use of urine on the saw blade?  lol  .  Sorry for medical humor but I guess you could get a Texas catheter and use it for lube on "the fly"  if you could adapt it to yur sawmill.  hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  Might make the turbo 7 blades work even better.

mike_belben

I cant tell you how much junk i have.  But that said, it doesnt matter if money is coming in or not, i always seem to get by via junkpile.  The poverty and a  junkpile kinda taught me everything i know. Im a dropout.  
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

some people go to school to learn what others have figured out and others are smart enough to figure things out for themselves.  My wife and I have done well, but were raised pay check to pay check.  We still try to live a little like we are not sure about the next paycheck.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: doc henderson on February 02, 2019, 07:14:13 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 02, 2019, 06:59:15 PM
Laziness is getting others to do your tasks, unless its your kids, then you are a good parent.  Is the two handed comment still referring to the use of urine on the saw blade?  lol  .  Sorry for medical humor but I guess you could get a Texas catheter and use it for lube on "the fly"  if you could adapt it to yur sawmill.  hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  Might make the turbo 7 blades work even better.
what I meant was in response to trying to get as much done in one trip as possible, like when walking around a job site or putting away tools, I find my hands too full to accomplish anything. That's when I like to remember I was only given two hands, I'm not an octopus.

doc henderson

I try to be efficient too, and will shuttle things between the house and shop.  Make a little pile by the door when in for the night.  Trouble now is I forget the plan and make just as many trips sometimes.  Yes only so many hours in a day as well.

terrifictimbersllc

Exactly, I have little piles by my doors too and on the kitchen counter. Then my wife moves them or pushes my little piles into one big pile. What could possibly go wrong?😀

Thank You Sponsors!