iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

older 13"Powermatic planer question?

Started by shad, May 12, 2010, 04:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shad

I found an older 3hp, 220 volt, 13" powermatic planer for sale. Says used very little for $600.00.
I plan on planing about 5000 board ft of rough 1" lumber for a house I'm building, mostly pine but some oak as well.
i had been planning to buy a 15" Grizzly planer but found this one for about half price of the grizzly.
Which one should I go with? Can I still get blades and other parts for the older one?

Ironwood

Likely an old old one? Any pics? Seems a little high. Although if it is spotless likely an OK buy. I would expect it to be a solid infeed roll. Even t he160 and some 180's had solid infeeds. If it were either of those two (160-180) the price would be more in line. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

shad

it,s on ebay now in Jacksonville Texas. it's a dark green color.
What does solid infeed roller mean? good or bad?

Ironwood

Solid= less desirable. Segmented can feed multiple boards at a time, at least in theory.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

shad

It's a model # 100, late seventies early eighties model.

Larry

A 3 hp machine is great for a woodworker...for somebody thinking about planing 5,000 foot I would want 5 hp minimum.

My choice is always to go with a USA made machine...but you have to realize a used machine may have a problem or three.  New bearings are not a hard job but they do take time.  If the PM was new or in restored excellent condition it would far out class the Grizzly machine.

I saw a PM 180 (18" 3 phase) in pretty good shape sell at auction a few weeks go for $700.  A PM 160 with single phase Baldor 5 hp is on the local craigslist now for $1,200.  Prices can be all over the place.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!