iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Oak MC

Started by JackLeg, June 16, 2010, 08:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackLeg

I just removed a charge of about 600 bf of white oak from my solar kiln.  The MC looks to be about 9-10% in the boards I have sampled.  Is this acceptable for most uses in your opinion? 

What MC have you other solar kiln owners attained in white oak?  How long did you leave it in the kiln?  All input appreciated.  Thanx.

pineywoods

Quote from: JackLeg on June 16, 2010, 08:06:38 AM
I just removed a charge of about 600 bf of white oak from my solar kiln.  The MC looks to be about 9-10% in the boards I have sampled.  Is this acceptable for most uses in your opinion? 

What MC have you other solar kiln owners attained in white oak?  How long did you leave it in the kiln?  All input appreciated.  Thanx.

Dried pin oak to about 6% in mine. Used it to make flooring, worked well.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Larry

N Carolina...probably.

I really like to match the MC of what comes out of the kiln to its environment.  You can do this by taking sample readings of flooring, or furniture that has been in your home for a while.  When we lived in N Missouri oak would read 9-10% in the summer and drop to 7-8% in the winter...dependent on how much we ran the wood stove.  Oak flooring close to the wood stove would drop to 6% and I would see small cracks.

At present we are living in the shop while I build a new house in N Arkansas.  The shop has poor humidity control with a window air conditioner.  The humidistat reads 70% relative humidity.  A white oak shelf I built some years ago reads 14% with my Wagner pinless.  Ash and red oak cabinets are reading right in that range also.

I normally dried white oak in my solar kiln to 8-9%.  I found some moisture meters can be a bit off.  Its best to check your meter against an oven dry sample.  My Wagner always reads 1% high on red oak. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

JackLeg

Thanks, Gents!  I've spoken with a few people who have told me they wouldn't hesitate to use it as long as it's under 12% for most any project.  Our humidity here fluctuates, but I have the lumber stacked in my barn, in the dry, so it'll acclimate pretty quickly to that environment I expect. 

Thanks again.

kelLOGg

JL,

Where in NC are you located?

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

SwampDonkey

I would say that's lots dry for being in wetter air, than in the interior of the continent. I would suggest 12% is lots dry. You get it too dry and you'll be surprised at how it swells in summer and possibly warps or splits some boxed in joints. It's a wood workers learning experience. :D Always got to design for wood movement, nothing is "permanent". ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JackLeg

Hey, Bob!  I'm over near Albemarle in Stanly County.  About an hour and a half from you.

Thank You Sponsors!