iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer blades which ones?

Started by jcbrotz, December 28, 2010, 06:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbrotz

OK time for some argueing :D

I normally run 9 & 10 degree blades but should I get me some 7's or 4's?? I have a full plate of sawing this winter frozen hemlock and frozen dry hardwoods even some pignut >:(. I am a little concerned of the quality and blade life. I have good luck with the 9's sawing most hardwoods in summer and hemlock in winter but am always looking for something better so?? Who saws what about the 7's and the 4's? Its time to order some new blades & I am looking for options like the best ones.

Thanks,
      Charlie
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

bandmiller2

Charlie,everyones mileage varies,you'll just have to try different hook angles most band merchants will include different angles for you to try, If you sharpen your own simple matter to change the angle.If you don't dress your stone with regularity you will end up with less hook automatically. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peter Drouin

I cut some chreery and pine that was hard as a rock sunday .7s 1.1/4 - 55 and cut fine. and with ones I sharping with my new woodmizer sharperner .no dressing a stone. 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

jcbrotz

I should add I have a lt40 hyd. with a 33hp kubota on her. I have been curious about trying the 7's but wanted some advice first. I send all my blades to resharp for sharpening. With all I have going on I do not have time to learn a new task that may or may not pay for its self. Right now I am undecided on that but thats another topic alltogether :). Will woodmizer send me a few different bands to try??

Thanks,
     Charlie
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

bandmiller2

Charlie,all I can say is give mizer a call and ask their advice on bands they sent me three bands to try and I don't even own a Woodmizer. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jcbrotz

Well unfortunatly I had to get a hold woodmizer today and after ordering a replacement motor for the hydraulics and a boatload of spares I talked blades and unfortunatly no free ones but I did order 3 to try out. I have some frozen pignut and hard maple to saw that should give it a test :D. I'll report back as soon as I have hydraulics.

jcbrotz

Well I finally got to sawing the frozen pignut and lets just saw the 7's were not up for the challange. My first response of these blades would not be a good one! I now have 3 blades that I need to find something they like to saw. I'm still not sure why but they would just wave at me through-out the cut Talked with Kyle at woodmizer NY and tried eveything we could think of I have one more to try and he's going to send me a 4 to try, so i put a 9 on and went to town had to saw slow and lots of water but got the job done and the guy was happy so all's well that ends well I guess. I'm going to try the 7's on something else maybe they have a place but its not for frozen/2 month old hickory. If I have time to play next week I'll try one on some hemlock and see how it goes.

customsawyer

Pignut hickory will take lots of water on the blade. I don't think it will matter what blade you use it is going to be tough to cut.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!