iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1994 Woodland Model 2500

Started by boatman, January 08, 2012, 06:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatman

The second mill down the list at this link is a Woodland 2500,  other than a few brief posts I have found no info on this brand.  Is any one here familiar with it?

"I can't get the link to post, it is the sawmill exchange, Automatic Feed band saw mills, second one down with pictures."

It seems to be in excellent condition and I like the design.  I understand the builder is deceased and there is very little info on the internet.

1994 Woodland Model 2500, 25 hp Kohler gas engine, trailer package, variable speed feed, board dragback, mechanical loading and turning, extra blades, less than 400 hours, kept under cover. Includes automatic sharpener with manual setter.

ladylake

Where is the link, sounds good if the price is right and it has off the shelf parts.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

boatman

boatman

I have been in contact with the owner.  It is an interesting mill.  the deck drops down and will then lift the log.  For turning the log the deck drops and a claw type turner engages the log.  The board, when cut falls onto the saw head and is returned with the head.  It has hydraulic/mechanical controls and seems to be mostly off the shelf type parts, which is good as the business died with the owner.

I was told he has cut 28" oak with it.  Limited to 16'8" in log length.

Is anyone here familiar with advantages and disadvantages of a vertical band mill like this?

morgoon

Are those pictures of the actual mill?

That thing looks pretty near new, for a mill that is reported to be well used and also sat around a bit according to the site info.

Not sure if it is a date for the website, but at the very bottom of the page it has the year 2008...

I dunno, but the 9500.00 price alone makes me a bit wary, if it really is worth 40 000 on the low side, and someone is throwing out numbers like 75 000...something doesn't feel right.

I don't know what the actual value of a mill like that is new or used, but it sure looks like fun

I think I would want to go and see the mill, and have the seller provide some history on it (bill of sale, repair parts receipts)...aw heck show me something that proves I am not buying someone elses property

I think the seller mentioned that his father ran the mill while he was out of the country...Can you meet the father? Ask for facts and try to get the story and details to line up.

If it is that good of a deal, surely they wouldn't mind putting a log on it and letting you see it working.

There are so many scams out there, and yes there are some great deals to be had..
Just my .02

Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

ladylake

It might work but looks to complicated and not very portable to me.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

boatman

If you look closely you can see spray paint on the wood blocks and that some cables were removed so the steel could be painted. 

The owner is having a mechanic come out and clean the carb.  He is out of the country and hopes to have a family member available to show the mill this winter as his father recently died.

For portability it is like many of the manual mills.  There is a winch at one end that will raise the mill 5' and allow a small axle/trailer to be secured under it.  The winch leg can be seen near the head with a trailer type winch.

Perhaps it is more complicated that a hydraulic mill with the same abilities, but the repairs look simple.  I'll know better when I see it.  The main drawback I see is the 16'8" limit.

bandmiller2

Boats,you'll just have to give it a good going over.Small mill builders used off the shelf parts and standard dimension steel,if your somewhat handy should be no problem.Some of the big guys use propritary parts and your tied to them at whatever price they decide to charge. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

morgoon

It looks like a neat machine, I agree that the length might be a drawback

I viewed the pics from my phone, so I missed the overspray

I wish you all the best with the saw and I hope I didn't come across as negative, but rather cautious instead.

It certainly sounds like the seller is doing his best to be genuine

To bad about his dad...perhaps that is part of the reason it is for sale.

I have a homemade manual mill, that I want to add hydraulics too, so that saw looks pretty trick to me. It certainly looks capable and it is obvious there was a lot of thought in the design of it.
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

boatman

A photo of the log loader. 

JFarmer

I have a video of one of those mills. Several years ago a friend of mine thought about buying one and gave me the video. It is really neat to watch and seams to saw pretty fast. The saw in this video is yellow and black instead of red like the one you have pictured, and also has a built in edger that the head pushes the board into every time you bring the head back. The owner that built those mills says in the video that he will put it up against any other bandmill.
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

boatman

I would love to see that video.  If I send a dvd and return postage can you make me a copy?

JFarmer

I would love to copy it for you if I knew how to copy it off of a vhs tape to a dvd!
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

swampbuggy

Send the VHS to me. I can copy to DVD and post to you tube. Pretty easy to do.
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Thank You Sponsors!