iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

setworks

Started by arnold113, November 28, 2013, 11:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arnold113

Last Tuesday when I got to run LeroyC's lt40 to saw up my first ever log, I got just a little taste of setworks. So now I'm going to put setworks on my diy bandmill. Being an electronics tech I shouldn't have too much trouble in designing setworks using a microcomputer. My biggest problem is I know very little about sawing. I am hoping that someone could find the time to give me a lesson on what setworks does and how it does what it does. Knowing that, I can write a computer program. Anyone's help would be great. Thanks. Arnold113 
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Gasawyer

Depends on which setworks you ran. Simple set which was the first WM setworks(and what I have) is just a repetative stop system reading off the up/down chain. The newer setworks I haven't used is supposed to know where the bed is and do some other features. It reads of off a rod attached to the mast.  The simple set wouldn't be too hard to replicate I think.  Hope this helps.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Dave Shepard

Bibbyman has a video of using WoodMizer's Accuset2. That should give you a good idea of what to expect. I also have Accuset2. It uses a linear transducer to tell the computer where the blade is in relationship to the bed.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

danreed76

My Simpleset looks like it counts pulses from a prox switch which reads the driven pulley of the vertical drive system.  I'd say if you're using a similar setup (with a belt drive) it would be important to measure off the driven pulley so the accuracy isn't affected by belt slippage.
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Gasawyer

Danreed76 what year is your mill? Mine is a 97 and it has an encoder with a sprocket that reads directly off the up down chain.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Magicman

There is a huge difference between today's SimpleSet and my '98 model SetWorks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

arnold113

(Topics merged by administrator)
On Nov 28, I started a thread called 'setworks'. I believe I may have caused everyone to misunderstand what I was wanting. For that I deeply apologize to everyone. It was never my intention to try to copy any manufactures setworks. What I was hoping for was a few different people's way of preforming different task on their band mills such as a step by step list of the way they saw a log to obtain a square or rectangular cant listing everything they do for each step and why. This would be very helpful for all us newbees that doesn't know much about milling. I also thought that it might be good if these list could be put in the 'Tool Box' for future use of all newbees. Just a thought. Anyway, back to the reason I started the thread 'setworks'. After I had figured out a way that worked best for my mill from everyone's list I could then design my own diy setworks for my mill. My setworks would be a result of information from you great sawyers on the forum and not a copy of a manufacture's time and money spent to develop their setworks. I hope this explanation meets with everyone's approval, if it doesn't then I will withdraw my request for information. Thanks. Arnold113   
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

rmack

Welcome to the Forum  :)

btw, why the apology?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Gasawyer

OK now I see what your after. There could be a good sized book written on this question. I will try to make a short list in the morning when I'm not on this tablet.

Chuck White

Arnold, I read through both posts and see nothing wrong with either and therefore don't understand the "Apology"!

You've done nothing wrong in my eyes anyways!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

We may drift off topic and even talk about food, but I do not believe that your intention or questions were misunderstood.  Back in my day, I would have been building, but now in my day, I am content to poke a button.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Arny,not to worry mate most of us that have built our own mills have copied this and that from production mills.If you use ideas from production mills well and good but if you copy their ideas and sell for profit that's frowned upon.Computerized setworks are nice when everything is working but I'd also include a simple scale and pointer as a failsafe. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

reswire

Is it even possible to put a woodmizer or timberking setworks on any mill?  Are there any after market setworks available for bandsaw mills?  I sure am tired of bending over on my mill to see the measuring gauge.  Wish I could afford to buy setworks!! :snowball:
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

arnold113

Thanks everyone, I just didn't want anyone thinking I was looking for a free ride.
And yes, bandmiller2, I plan on having everything setup to work in auto and in manual, and hardwired and wireless. I just love building things but I always have to make them complicated. Arnold113

JohnM

Quote from: arnold113 on November 29, 2013, 09:55:50 PM
I just love building things but I always have to make them complicated.
Arnold, have you met Hackberry Jake yet? ??? ;) ;D :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

5quarter

I can assure you that Jake resembles that remark very much... ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

drobertson

neither post was out of line in my view, I thought about your question and could not come up with a condensed reply,, sorry,  good luck in your venture arny,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodmills1

I have accuset 1 on my lt 70, but I honed my skills at cutting on a manual LT 40

I do use the auto up and or down settings once in a while, but get the most use out of the pattern sawing

for example, I make many 4x4, so I will program a pattern that will cut one inch boards down to 4 inches

1. move blade to top of log and call up pattern, the setwork adds 4 +blade + 1 + blade etc to where the blade is
2. hit the down button, the setwork will drop to 4" plus how ever many 1" plus blade thickness are included up to the original position
3. cut off slab
4. rotate log 180 degrees
5. hit down button
6 cut off slab

I now have 2 flat faces that are 4" plus some 1" boards to remove later and 2 log faces

7. rotate log 90 degrees and go back to non setworks
8. move blade to top of log and re enter set works
hit down button and cut off slab
9. hit down button and cut one inch board  repeat till 2" from center
10 rotate 180 degrees
11. hit down and cut slab
12 hit down and cut 1" boards down to 4"
13 rotate 90 degrees and go out of pattern
14 drop blade to height of flat and reenter pattern
15 repeat steps 9 -12

this took almost as long to type as it would to cut and I left out some choices that are dependant on  variables other than the primary goal of leaving the 4x4 from the log center

the value of accuset is that I no longer have to calculate where the blade should be and no longer have to watch my scale stick to see that I am at the correct height

the other bonus is I can leave the program for a new face after rotating and re-enter and it will be ready to do the math at the new height
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

arnold113

Quote from: woodmills1 on November 30, 2013, 02:55:54 PM
I have accuset 1 on my lt 70, but I honed my skills at cutting on a manual LT 40

I do use the auto up and or down settings once in a while, but get the most use out of the pattern sawing

for example, I make many 4x4, so I will program a pattern that will cut one inch boards down to 4 inches

woodmills1, how do you program setworks to cut 1" boards part way down then one 4" then more 1"?

Thanks everyone for your remarks and info. You're very thoughtful.
Thanks again. Arnold

drobertson

If using the auto down, one sets for one inch drops and another for four inch drops, switching back and forth on the respective saved settings.  The approach I might consider would be to use a pattern set for one inch drops stopping at four, when the desired face and section was reached, I would rotated, take the remaining one inch until the four inch mark is met,  this just gets into allot of dialog and typing explaining individual techniques, sorry,  good luck,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I am of no help with your technical issues, but do not overlook the fact that the log/cant itself has to be addressed.  When sawing through, the cant often needs rotating to properly relieve stress.  In your above illustration, the 1" boards may need removing, then flip the cant and remove the other 1" boards leaving the 4".

The point that I am making is that the cant will often change your original sawing pattern.

drobertson

MM, thanks, its hard to cyfer what ones objective really is, I know taking 4" whack causes allot of stress relief, resulting in bowing in the remainder of the log/cant, I have done FOH cants, with many having the unwanted bowing,  david

Thank You Sponsors!