iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ms261 vs ms261cm

Started by bandit11208, November 04, 2013, 09:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit11208

Looking for a new saw and have it narrowed down to a sthil ms 261. Would the 261c-m with the m-tronic be the better saw than the ms 261?   Thanks  Bandit.
Woodland mills Hm126, Sthil MS461, MS261, MS250, MS180, 1949 Ford 8n, Ariens 27 ton splitter.

Andyshine77

The M-tronic system woks very well, and should have a bit more power than the non M-tronic model. I would definitely go for the M-tronic 261.
Andre.

HotRail

The cm is more advanced but based right on the regular 261, which is a good saw.  Buying new, I would go 261c.

john_bud

I have the regular 261.  The m-tronic is the better machine in some ways.  The normal carb while simpler, has the H jet tamper proofed.  It's also probably cheaper as they are discontinuing it.

On AS there is a lot on porting both and the results.  Interesting read.

280 acres of tree farm

HotRail

Quote from: john_bud on November 05, 2013, 06:52:47 PM
I have the regular 261.  The m-tronic is the better machine in some ways.  The normal carb while simpler, has the H jet tamper proofed.  It's also probably cheaper as they are discontinuing it.

On AS there is a lot on porting both and the results.  Interesting read.
The regular 261 can become fully adjustable by removing the limiters.  I got a 261cm on the way and like I said before if your looking for a new saw, get the 261cm.  M trlonic has shown to be dependable on stihl's other pro saws.

NCFarmboy

Agree with others get the CM.  EHP has ported one for unbelievable gains.  I drool over the Autotune and M-tronic models.  Will have a 261CM @ some point and I'm a Husky guy. 
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

tlandrum

the 261 is a good little saw. even better when its an auto tune.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

john_bud

Quote from: HotRail on November 05, 2013, 09:21:46 PM

The regular 261 can become fully adjustable by removing the limiters.  I got a 261cm on the way and like I said before if your looking for a new saw, get the 261cm.  M trlonic has shown to be dependable on stihl's other pro saws.

True.  It's sort of a pain to do, still easy....but doing so also affects your warranty.   Not that it stops everyone ;)
280 acres of tree farm

H 2 H

Quote from: john_bud on November 06, 2013, 08:45:10 PM

True.  It's sort of a pain to do, still easy....but doing so also affects your warranty.   Not that it stops everyone ;)

If you take a drill just .003" bigger than a 2.5 mm allen head and drill out the center of the limiter you'll be taking out roughly .010" of material from the center of the limiter none will be able to see that with the naked eye

Then you can adjust the MS 261 all you want  ;D
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

HotRail

Quote from: H 2 H on November 06, 2013, 08:57:48 PM
Quote from: john_bud on November 06, 2013, 08:45:10 PM

If you take a drill just .003" bigger than a 2.5 mm allen head and drill out the center of the limiter you'll be taking out roughly .010" of material from the center of the limiter none will be able to see that with the naked eye

Then you can adjust the MS 261 all you want  ;D
Good description.  I had Brad Snelling take of the limiters, muff mod, and advance the timing on a regular 261.  Not a bad idea to make the carb fully adjustable on any 261(regular).  They are too lean from the factory from what I read.

IndianSprings

I have had one 261 from the time they hit the shelf and added another one two years ago, and I will be trading at least one of the two for a new CM version. If I were buying a new one I would hands down go with the CM.
I sell and work on them almost everyday and we just don't see issues with the CM platform. The 441CM, at least in our shop has been bulletproof. It had virtually killed the sales of the 460.
The 261's have become the favorite saws in the family firewood business. We cut pre-dominantly cut oak tops and historically have averaged around 300 cords a year and we haven't done anything but feed them good ethanol free gas and Ultra since we have bought them.
The m-tronic platform should outperform the regular original 261, it sure has made the difference on the 441, we thought 441 was virtually dead in the original version, but the M-tronic system has made the 441 our best selling 70cc saw in our shop.
Indian Springs Farm
Firewood Purveyor
Orchard Grass & Alfalfa Hay
Stihl 660,460,441,440,038,361,261x2,028,200T,032,030
Homelite Super EZ, Dolmar 133,143
JD Farm Equipment
Buy made in the USA

HotRail

Quote from: IndianSprings on November 07, 2013, 01:46:11 PM
I have had one 261 from the time they hit the shelf and added another one two years ago, and I will be trading at least one of the two for a new CM version. If I were buying a new one I would hands down go with the CM.
I sell and work on them almost everyday and we just don't see issues with the CM platform. The 441CM, at least in our shop has been bulletproof. It had virtually killed the sales of the 460.
The 261's have become the favorite saws in the family firewood business. We cut pre-dominantly cut oak tops and historically have averaged around 300 cords a year and we haven't done anything but feed them good ethanol free gas and Ultra since we have bought them.
The m-tronic platform should outperform the regular original 261, it sure has made the difference on the 441, we thought 441 was virtually dead in the original version, but the M-tronic system has made the 441 our best selling 70cc saw in our shop.
IMO the 261 just flat out works as a small saw.  Maybe husky came up with the autotune but looks like stihl polished it up to be what it should be.

HotRail

Bandit - Which saw did you go with?  I'm waiting for my 261 cm from Mastermind to arrive...

abikerboy

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what parts are different between the m-tronic and the standard MS261? I know that the MS441 uses a different left crankcase between the standard and the c-m. Just wondered if they have done the same with the 261.

Thank You Sponsors!