iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoke Test - Pass, Functional Test - Pass!

Started by warren46, December 07, 2013, 08:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren46

My new to me Timberharvester sawmill passed the smoke test on Thursday per my previous post (Note: the smoke test is unique to electric mills and is conducted to make certain that the magic smoke stays inside the motor and other devices when the power is turned on.)  Yesterday I had morning meetings so I started the functional testing Friday afternoon.

I first discovered that the speed control valve needs to be opened a bit before the sawhead advance will engage.  Then I found that the roller guide arm will move in but does not retract.  Time for some real trouble shooting that started this morning.  It was almost noon when I found the wire where the volts go in one end but do not come out the other.  Fortunately there was an unused spare in the cable with the defective wire. :)  Now I can pass the functional test.

This afternoon I picked out a small pine log to make the first boards.

Placing the log on the loading arms.

Loading the log on the bunks.

Lining up the first cut - I want to avoid cutting any part of the mill instead of the log.

Entering the log for the first time.  This machine cuts smooth and easy. :)

This thing cuts this pine like a hot knife through butter.  (note: I later tried a knarly piece of maple and again the knife and butter.)

The first boards from the mill after my purchase.  (The mill has sawn a lot of lumber for a previous owner. 8) )

This afternoon's work.  I know it does not look like a lot but I am very pleased with the speed and quality of the cuts.

Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

scsmith42

Sweet!  Congratulations on getting your new mill operational!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

That's  a very nice setup you've got there Warren.  Congrats on making your first boards. 8)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

thecfarm

May you always have that hot butter feel.  ;D  Don't worry about cutting non wooden parts on your mill. Most times it's a brand new blade that will attack the mill and try to saw it in pieces.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Nice mill.. I like the shed. Looks like salvage trusses from a chicken house  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

Very nice. I like seeing a mill bolted to concrete. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mmartone

Good to see it passed the first two tests! Wish I had a nice big pole barn like that, tons of room.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

warren46

Quote from: pineywoods on December 07, 2013, 09:08:48 PM
Nice mill.. I like the shed. Looks like salvage trusses from a chicken house  ;D

Yep, chicken house trusses, slightly used. ;D  That's all I could afford.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Congrats, and that's a great looking setup!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

samandothers

Great looking mill.  Glad all is going good.  I am sure you will have a lot of wood to work with after some drying.  Next comes a solar kiln!

Thank You Sponsors!