iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutter Profile Ripping vs Crosscut

Started by lxskllr, June 08, 2019, 08:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

My mill is supposed to come in next week. My intention is to use use my RM2 chain, and slowly adjust the profile as I sharpen it, eventually ending up at ~10°. Using a crosscut profile isn't ideal, but it'll work sufficiently well til I get it where I want it.

My question is how well does ripping chain work as a crosscut? I could start reprofiling it sooner doing normal stuff if it'll work sufficiently well. I'm cheap, and don't like removing a bunch of tooth to get where I want. I'm also patient, and don't require the best finish on anything. Going forward, I could start "priming" my ripping chains using them for crosscutting, and adjust the profiles for a couple sharpenings so I'd be starting halfway there when they get on the mill.

HolmenTree

I never filed a new crosscut chain down fully to 10° before milling. Just file about a quarter of the top plate 10° to the outside corner.
Ripping chain may not win a crosscutting race but it crosscuts just fine.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

olcowhand

Willard, do you have an image showing that setup? I may also begin on a Cross Cut Chain...
Thanks,
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Hilltop366

I found the cut very rough with standard angle chain. I'm betting that because it was .404 harvester chain with .50 rakers it was worse than regular chain.

The chain would pull side to side as the cutters would go through the wood leaving a very rough and wavy finish. I figured this would cause extra wear on the bar grove sides and on the chain so I reground to 10° and it cut way smoother, after a while I tried 5° even smoother, then I got to thinking that my table saw ripping blade is 0° so I tried that on a chain even better and a plus is that I could set my chain grinder to 0° and grind both sides easily keeping all the cutters the same.

HolmenTree

Quote from: olcowhand on June 08, 2019, 10:33:26 AM
Willard, do you have an image showing that setup? I may also begin on a Cross Cut Chain...
Thanks,
Steve
Steve, I just filed a cutter for demonstration.
From 30° to 10°. On a new chain you don't need to file down the whole cutting edge.

olcowhand

Thanks, Willard.
I bought an MS661CM yesterday, that I want to start milling with......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

HolmenTree

Quote from: olcowhand on June 09, 2019, 07:24:28 AM
Thanks, Willard.
I bought an MS661CM yesterday, that I want to start milling with......
Congratulations with the saw purchase. You shouldn't be disappointed with that smooth running saw.

teakwood

Quote from: lxskllr on June 08, 2019, 08:48:33 AM
My mill is supposed to come in next week. My intention is to use use my RM2 chain, and slowly adjust the profile as I sharpen it, eventually ending up at ~10°. Using a crosscut profile isn't ideal, but it'll work sufficiently well til I get it where I want it.

My question is how well does ripping chain work as a crosscut? I could start reprofiling it sooner doing normal stuff if it'll work sufficiently well. I'm cheap, and don't like removing a bunch of tooth to get where I want. I'm also patient, and don't require the best finish on anything. Going forward, I could start "priming" my ripping chains using them for crosscutting, and adjust the profiles for a couple sharpenings so I'd be starting halfway there when they get on the mill.
Can't you guys buy 10 degree crosscut chain from the dealer? why do you want to start with a normal chain? have lots laying around?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

lxskllr

I have a 100' reel of RM2. Probably a lifetime supply  :^D  But yea, I could buy ripping chain.

HolmenTree

A couple of swipes with the file on each new 30° cutters and you're good to go. Couple more sharpenings and it's 10° straight across.
OEM ripping chain is money down the drain guys.

Al_Smith

Everybody has an opinion .I've done very little ripping and what was done was with a McCulloch 125 c ,that's 123 cc .Using a Grandberg mini mill I could get about 1 foot a  minute on 18" oak .Using standard chisel chain it wasn't nearly as rough as a circular saw .Besides that if it's going to be finished lumber you are going to plane it anyway .Usually the logs are just something that has been salvaged from being cut up for firewood .So kerf width is not that important .

If you can attack the log at about a 45 degree angle a chisel chain will not pull saw dust and it won't blow noodles  it can't spit out .It will be a relatively  smooth cut .You might have to file it quite often .

Thank You Sponsors!