iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling wood using the Ms 880 chainsaw

Started by alsayyed, July 06, 2009, 01:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Hello fellows. Today I borrowed one Stihl MS 880 chainsaw from the municipality to cut some wood. I have looked at the machine it dose look different than the MS 660 I have never tried to try it, but it looks powerful by looking at the bar.
My question dose anybody used this type of saw for milling wood using this type of chainsaw. When I got it was dirty I have to clean every parts because the saw full of dust. I know the needle cage is broken I am looking to replace it. I need few answers from the   experts.

Thank you.

zopi

I have done a little milling with the MS660, and the 880 is a bigger saw..it will work fine..I've seen 880s drive a six foot bar with no trouble..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ianab

The ms880 is a 120 cc saw, the biggest the Stihl currently make. Compare that to the 90cc of the ms660 and it should mill noticably better.

Probably the best milling saw you will ever come across.  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JV

I have an older Stihl 084 with a 60" bar on my Alaskan mill.  It handles anything I have to mill with plenty of power.  The 880 has a little more horsepower and should handle any milling chore with no problem.  The biggest negative is the weight.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Thank You Sponsors!