iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of wood is this ?

Started by Bruno of NH, November 16, 2014, 02:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Cedarman

Danny is very, very hard to stump.  It almost takes trickery.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Dave Shepard

We might have to resort to the computer printed wood patterns to stump him. I think I saw some bird's eye pine veneer on the table of a pizza joint once. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bruno of NH

If the wood might be hickory how much does it go for per bf .
Thanks Jim/Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

fat olde elf

Go Danny !!!! You ARE the man !!!!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

cutterboy

Quote from: Bruno of NH on November 17, 2014, 12:27:40 PM
If the wood might be hickory how much does it go for per bf .
Thanks Jim/Bruno of NH

Get the same as you would get for red oak.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

SwampDonkey

If it were like that shagbark log, I'd go for more. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 17, 2014, 09:36:37 AM
Hey, it wasn't me that suggested looking up someones parenchyma!

If you google it, you could get slapped  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Dan

Quote from: WDH on November 16, 2014, 09:44:41 PM
Tree Dan,

You obviously don't believe me  ;D.
My glasses were full of sawdust :D
That Shagbark throws great heat...I gota go read up on this more :P
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

dgdrls

Quote from: Bruno of NH on November 16, 2014, 02:36:05 PM
It was very heavy and sawed hard with a 7 degree band.
Thanks Jim

Hickory, and yes it's very heavy!! 

looks like the same species I first sawed on my LT-10

Southside

Quote from: cutterboy on November 16, 2014, 08:23:04 PM
The wood looks like hickory but the bark does not. At least the bark does not look like that of a shagbark hickory. Here is some shagbark hickory I sawed.

Cutterboy -

I got to find me a place where trees grow with a nice label on them like that !!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Probably pignut hickory.  Pignut bark is sometimes a little scaly, sometime not, but never shaggy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

When I first started running a sawmill, I got an old ash log out of the junk pile to make some blocking. It sure didn't saw very well. Apparently some pignut can also look like ash. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Some ash can look like chestnut to I suppose. :D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bugdust

Here in these parts it's called "scaly bark hickery." A fellow asked me to saw 3 logs of this a couple years back. He had cut 1 year before and left it to dry. All I had on site were ten degree blades. First log dulled 2 blades. Gave up on the last two.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

cutterboy

[/quote]

Cutterboy -

I got to find me a place where trees grow with a nice label on them like that !!!
[/quote]

What? Your trees don't grow with labels?????  ;D

My father used to love to teach his grandchildren about nature. He had a long trail through the woods of his farm and he labeled the names of trees along the trail so his grandkids could learn to identify them.  My dad is gone and the farm is now mine and I cut trees in the woods and sometimes I take one he had labeled.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

nas

Definitely looks like bitternut hickory.  I have lots of it in my woodlot

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

WDH

If it is, the buds will be sulfur yellow. 

Birchwood Logging

Looks like butternut-white walnut to me
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

Thank You Sponsors!