iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the grass is always greener...

Started by OH logger, December 16, 2016, 09:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

the job that I was workin this week bordered another woods and it just so happened that it was being logged by an amish crew with 2 teams of horses used for skidding. so on Thursday I took my 8 year old son out of school a little early to go on a "field trip". he really enjoyed it and was amazed that they could pull out as big of logs as they did (it was froze with a little snow on the ground which helps). while we were watching I asked him what he thought and he said "this is a lot neater than the way we do it". (we have a 548 grapple skidder). when the cutter (boss) was takin a break we talked to him as I had become aquaintances of his after talkin to him a few times this week. he asked my boy what he thought of it and my shy son said 'its pretty cool."  I then told the amishman what he my son told me earlier about how it was way neater than the way we do it.  the guy laughed and told my boy that he thinks that me grabbing a log with the grapple on the skidder and not havin to get out of the machine to hook it up was neater than the way they do it.  :D it was also brought up that havin heat in the cab was ok too  (it was 7 degrees while we were talking). just another example of how we all think that others have it made. in the end I'm glad to have my skidder and hes prolly glad to have his horses. (he can also ride his horse to church. if I tried that I would sure get some crazy looks tryin to parallel park   ;D) my son enjoyed it and learned more than he would have in that same time in school. another great time in the woods with him!! :)
john

thecfarm

NW ohio?? Not too good with my N and W. Sugar Creek?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

Time well spent right there, good times.

Jeff

Great post to read to put a smile on my face first thing in the morning!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

g_man

Yes - that was a great post. Thanks. Never to young to learn that there are different strokes for different folks.

gg

CCC4

That's great! I used to really enjoy it, skid with horeses 5 years. Glad you took your Son and shares that with him!

GRANITEstateMP

You can learn a lot in school, but sometimes a couple hours with your Dad on the jobsite, well it's not just learning, it's an experience.  Glad to hear you guys had such a good afternoon together!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Ed_K

Ed K

landscraper

Great story, I bet your son will remember that for a long time, I know I can recall clearly days like that with my dad when I was young.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

OH logger

Quote from: thecfarm on December 16, 2016, 10:07:04 PM
NW ohio?? Not too good with my N and W. Sugar Creek?

around the lima/Findlay area but the amish crew was from around the holmes county/sugarcreek area. 90 miles away is a long ride on a horse huh?? :D
john

Autocar

You should of asked Will if he wanted to trade his sack of leaves to the amish fellow for a roll of toilet paper  :D
Bill

thecfarm

90 miles is a long ways on a horse.  ;D
Holmes CO,that was it. We was there probably 15 years ago. I was shocked how much it looked like Maine there. Even the trees. If someone would of got me to Holmes CO and told me I was in Maine I would of believed them. Even the way the farms and the houses was the same. The lay of the land too.
But what I was shocked on was how the Amish was framing. They was still way back using equipment before WWII.  :o  They was still putting hay in loose. I had a mower just like what they was using on my stone wall. We have been to Lascaster CO in PA,but they use a forecart with a diesel engine to power mowers,balers and whatever else. But Holmes CO was like a time wap for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Great post about the differences in the technics used and the banter between y'all.   The subject line is very appropriate.  Thanks for sharing.  I know you son enjoyed it!

OH logger

one thing he just couldn't believe is that on the day we were there it was only about 5 or 10 degrees out but the horses were sweating. I tiold him that they must be workin a lot harder than we are  :D. thanks for the responses guys. hes my right hand man alreqdy and hes only 8. I love all the time we get to spend together when he goes to the woods with me.
john

hacknchop

Really nice post I have an 11 yr  old grandson ,we have old order Mennonites here and I quite often help them with lumber grading or log procurement and lumber sales anyway my grandson also thinks it's cool to use horses and wagons and such but likes to drive my old masset 50 or steer the old Clark skidded. The main thing is to teach tolerance and to each their own. Again thank you for  the great post.
Often wrong never indoubt

Thank You Sponsors!