iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking of Homebuilt vertical bandsaw mill

Started by Lost Pines, November 10, 2005, 11:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Pines

I am new to the group. I joined several weeks ago. I have read all of the post.

I really enjoy reading and learning for all the members.

I live in South Central TX.

I would like to  build a bandsaw mill.

I have 19" bandwheels.

I have the chance to get a Bellsaw Machine Co. Saw Mill Model: M14/2231
without the Blade.

I have a ?

How well would in work to Mount a vertical bandsaw and use the Bellsaw,
letting the log do the moving?

I don't need Hyd. for loading. I have a skidsteer to use for that.

I would like to build it to run the Bandsaw with a small tractor PTO.

I would use the tractor Hyd. for feed control.

How long of a log could I cut with such setup?

Looking for feedback.

Thanks,
Leland

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Lost Pines on November 10, 2005, 11:27:58 PM
I don't need Hyd. for loading. I have a skidsteer to use for that.

Welcome Lost Pines. I'm not experienced enough to give you much advice on most of what you ask, but I can tell you this much: If you're counting on loading individual logs directly onto your bunks with the skid steer, tractor, whatever you choose to use, it's a mistake. Make sure and build a deck. A live deck preferably. You don't want to be slowed down by the tedious job of moving big heavy logs on and off of your machine (or having to turn them because you decided you didn't need a log turner after all).
You want to dump 'em on your live deck and let it take it from there. The more you have to mess with the logs the more time you lose in making lumber and the days are really shorter this time of year >:(
Also if your goal is make lumber forget making a sawmill unless you are a fabricator extrodinaire. Sure, you can do it, but building it will only be half the job unless you've done it before. Tweaking it and getting the bugs out will be the other half, and then you might end up with something that "just won't cut right no matter what I do" and you find out you don't like it anyway. Not that I have ever built one, but my advice is buy as much mill as you can afford and don't skimp on the hydraulics.
Just my "2 cents", even though it's only "a penny for your thoughts".
I gave you the 2 for 1 special. :D  Good luck.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Fla._Deadheader

A lot of Commercial Sawmills use the moving carriage. Your idea will work.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ex-racer

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Kevjay. If the main goal is to make lumber and save money, hire someone to saw it, or buy a mill, and sell it when you're finished.

However, if you want to have a unique mill, like a challenge, and enjoy metal fabricating, go for it.

I built an all-steel portable circle sawmill some years ago.
My discovery - The project will always take longer than you think, and don't underestimate the importance of the design phase of the job - make scaled drawings if possible.
Cutting up something that you just welded together isn't much fun.

Good luck, 8)
Ed

Ron Wenrich

Smwoody built one that run like that.  Are you planning to have a stationary head and running carriage or a moving head and stationary carriage?  There are several types of mill made with the latter design. 

Stationary heads are usually reserved for a larger band, but you should be able to do it with the smaller ones.  I imagine the hardest part is the control when you first start feeding the log into the saw.  Too fast and you have problems.

How are you planning to power the band?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

D._Frederick

If you plan on doing much sawing, your 19 inch band wheels are to small. I would be looking for wheels in the 26 to 30 inch diameter range.  The small wheels cause the band to work harden and break much sooner.

What size bands do you intend to run?

Lost Pines

Thanks for all the Great Advice. I will give it some more thought

before going ahead with the project.

The Fabrication and Welding is not a problem but, I know to at least

triple the time I think it will take.

I was planning to have a stationary head and running carriage.

I was thinking of using a 30 to 50 HP tractor and run the Band off

of the PTO & Feed with Hyd. Motor.

Thanks,
Leland

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Welcome, Lost Pines!

You have a pretty good idea there, considering that you have a lot of the parts on hand already.  A vertical, stationary bandsaw works just like a conventional circle mill, so you'll need to study them to learn how to saw on your mill.  Just remember that the track will have to be over twice the length you want to saw.  Also, the drive for the saw will have to be rotated 90 degrees to run the bandmill.  There is no reason that your wheels or band have to be any bigger than on a portable bandmill.  It is all a matter of capacity.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

wiam

There should be no reason for a right angle drive.  The tractor could be parked parralel to the carraige, backed up to the head.  A jack shaft probably would be needed to adjust speed.

Will

Minnesota_boy

Wiam,
Do you park the tractor where you need to load the logs or where you need to unload the lumber?  It'll be in the way either place.  :)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

iain

Vert band mills are very popular here, infact they are the most common type of mill i'm trying to find pics to post

but heres a link

http://www.irishwoods.com/about/whatwedo/sawtosale.htm

Fred

The Amish use vertical bandmills here in Wisconsin.
      welcome to the FF
                               Fred
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

wiam

Minnesota_boy,  won't be in the way if you use a long enough shaft. :D :D

Truthfully I thought about that after I posted. ::)

Will

Thank You Sponsors!