iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mounts for gas engine on homebuilt bandsaw mill?

Started by AncientTom, December 23, 2017, 12:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AncientTom

I am thinking on building a small band saw mill after the Christmas holidays. I purchased a Harbour Freight gas engine for this project and fired it up. It has an amount of vibration but that is to be expected.

I have been educating myself for the past several weeks watching all the videos on professional and home brewed saw mills that I can find. In all the videos I've watched I have not seen anything about shock mounting the engine when mounting it on the frame.

My question is, is this something to be concerned about?  If I do try to isolate the engine vibration from the saw frame, will the dancing of the engine independent of the saw frame create problems in the tensioning of the drive belt?

Den-Den

Mine is bolted down solid, no issues.  A little flex in the motor mounting should be OK but you should limit how much it can "dance".
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

AncientTom

If I use rubber isolation mounts, would you think that a spring loaded idler wheel on the belt might minimize the resulting dancing slop in the belt tension?

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,  AncientTom!

I don't think you would want to allow much movement in the engine mounting system!

The reason being, it's going to move when the blade is engaged!

Most sawmills I've seen, the engine is allowed minimal movement, or none!

The engine on my LT40 had rubber bushings in the mounting system, but when they went bad, I installed the aluminum ones with the brass bushing in the middle, thus eliminating any movement!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

AncientTom

Okay then I will hard mount it to  the frame and hope for the best.

starmac

I would not mount it solid, even minute flexing can crack the block, there has to be some give somewhere.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

hamish

Quote from: starmac on December 23, 2017, 06:15:49 PM
I would not mount it solid, even minute flexing can crack the block, there has to be some give somewhere.
The give is in the PTO side of things, be it the belt or spider etc....

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Gearbox

I have a HF 13 bolted solid on the home built processer . Wore out a 11 HP Briggs . It is pulled down all kinds of woods roads and main roads . No way a sawmill is going to get treated like that .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Kbeitz

13hp Honda bolted solid to 12" wide x 3/8" thick channel. No problems.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

AncientTom

Quote from: Gearbox on December 23, 2017, 08:06:42 PM
I have a HF 13 bolted solid on the home built processer . Wore out a 11 HP Briggs . It is pulled down all kinds of woods roads and main roads . No way a sawmill is going to get treated like that .
Don't know what kind of device your processor might be and how it relates to the engine vibration effect would be on a band saw mill log cut???

AncientTom

Kwill

I'm in the middle of my build also. I plan on bolting my solid also. I see your over by phillipsburg. Not to far away.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Gearbox

What I am saying is there is a lot more stresses hauling an engine on something going down a road at 60 MPH than you will ever put on a band mill . Build it like you want .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

AncientTom

Quote from: Kwill on December 24, 2017, 09:13:14 PM
... I see your over by phillipsburg. Not to far away.
That fish you are holding up looks like it's from my pond, caught in my neighbor's pond. My neighbor has all my fish now because last spring, my pond's dam gave way. If it weren't for the loan I am paying off now to rebuild my dam, I would be tempted to buy a Wood Mizer mill. As good as WM is, I think that I can do better for a lot less money.

AncientTom

Quote from: Gearbox on December 24, 2017, 09:30:44 PM
What I am saying is there is a lot more stresses hauling an engine on something going down a road at 60 MPH than you will ever put on a band mill . Build it like you want .
Thank you for the clarification. My concern is not for the structural integrity of the mill frame, it's for the possibility of the engine vibration disturbing the stability of the blade cutting through the log.

Kwill

Quote from: AncientTom on December 25, 2017, 01:07:43 PM
Quote from: Kwill on December 24, 2017, 09:13:14 PM
... I see your over by phillipsburg. Not to far away.
That fish you are holding up looks like it's from my pond, caught in my neighbor's pond. My neighbor has all my fish now because last spring, my pond's dam gave way. If it weren't for the loan I am paying off now to rebuild my dam, I would be tempted to buy a Wood Mizer mill. As good as WM is, I think that I can do better for a lot less money.
that big crappie came out of pomme de terre
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

bandmiller2

Could use po-boy engine mounts, thats  hockey pucks with a hole in the middle. Most mills I've seen are just bolted to a good flat base. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

AncientTom

Thank You Sponsors!