iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

I didnt mean it directly at you... Just a tip that can help for guys who park a machine near power and hafta deal with frequent gels.  I had a jetta that used to do it all the time since my wife ran thru so much fuel looking for places to spend my check.  Power service would get diluted .. And it was a southern market car that ended up in the north.  Had no block heater.  Diesel without cold start feature.. Brilliant!

BTW, little known tidbit about bosch MW injection pumps for you old iron types.. No crank + full throttle engages some sort of mechanical injection timing retard.  They start way easier.  Dt466 dont have glowplugs or grid heater. But most have MW pump.  P-3000 and P7100 pumps may also do this, not certain.  I found it in the MW pump service manual literature.   
Praise The Lord

paul case

Quote from: mike_belben on January 05, 2018, 01:38:58 PM
BTW, little known tidbit about bosch MW injection pumps for you old iron types.. No crank + full throttle engages some sort of mechanical injection timing retard.  They start way easier.  Dt466 dont have glowplugs or grid heater. But most have MW pump.  P-3000 and P7100 pumps may also do this, not certain.  I found it in the MW pump service manual literature.   

Mike,
Do you mean that you can start them easier when cold with full throttle?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Oliver05262

As soon as it fires, you pull the throttle back. Just giving it full throttle plus retarded timing to make it start easier.
  John Deere had an overfuel feature on some of their larger engines to help them start when cold. Ever hear a 4440 "snort" when you start it up?
  I-H german diesel tractors that had the DT 239 (like  a 574)  had a Bosch pump that gave an overfuel, and maybe timing change, too, when you put the stop lever just short of the shut-off position. Small dozers (like a TD8) also had a starting position,.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

mike_belben

Quote from: paul case on January 05, 2018, 10:10:32 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on January 05, 2018, 01:38:58 PM

Mike,
Do you mean that you can start them easier when cold with full throttle?

PC

Yes sir,  much easier.  My truck its basically full throttle or no start.   If i remember right Its in the RQV governor more than the MW pump but im foggy on the exact details.  i dont know about the others.  If you go to full throttle before engaging key the governor flyweights somehow kicked it into a start mode where the pump shot in later in the stroke.  Advanced injection is very hard at cold starts.  I dont think this was retarder notches in the plunger barrels like the 215hp P7100 but im not 100% on how it was accomplished.   

If you have a machine with no grid heater or glowplugs try full rack key off then crank it. 
Praise The Lord

Corley5

I've been involved with a couple Perkins that when really cold if you pulled the fuel shut off out, got the engine cranking over and then pushed the shut off in the engine would fire right up.  It wouldn't otherwise.  The engines were an AD4203 and a it's three cylinder sibling.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

No idea what pump is on my dt466 in my dump truck but it is the best cold starting diesel I have. On occasion I have needed to start it around zero degrees and haven't had time or ability to plug it in, and with good batteries it will fire right up...

newoodguy78

I've been around a few of those 466s and seen them start when nothing else would.

mike_belben

Its because the injection pump is probably timed around 12* advance.  Bump them up to normal timing to get some actual power and they get cold blooded.

First generation had rotary pumps that only the AG crowd likes.  Next came the bosch MW, a 10mm inline pump thats mounted down low like the rotary was.  Then the P pump went on up high for a few years when they changed to the NGD design before going to the 466E.

466A B and C used 3/8 valve stems and are a very low flow drizzle off the rocker oiling system.  They CANNOT run a conventional valve seal or will starve the stems and just eat right into the casting until the valve lip eats the liner.  They take a plastic oil shield clip but there was one model with a high flow 3/8 stem so every inframe kit has both and most people just pop that familiar viton seal on. 

Next time your doing an oil change, pull the valvecover and do a valve lash and be sure theyre shields, not seals on your old style 466
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Not sure where the timing is set but it has plenty of power. Has no trouble getting a box full of whatever I want moving way faster than the old girl should probably be going. Haha

coxy

:D :D I love it one of the local no paying loggers tried to be a big shot this morning got his Detroit started and was locked wide open before he could get it shut off the crank went through the oil pan  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) I feel so sorry for him  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Quote from: coxy on January 06, 2018, 12:01:28 PM
:D :D I love it one of the local no paying loggers tried to be a big shot this morning got his Detroit started and was locked wide open before he could get it shut off the crank went through the oil pan  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) I feel so sorry for him  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
You heard about Jake Rosa ? 😓👎 not to far from you.

coxy

no barge different guy so there is 2 of them 8) 8)  mike  a no paying logger is someone that don't pay for the logs he cuts  ;D

ehp

Im glad my fuel is for my temps , I seem to hardly ever have a problem fuel wise , think last time was 5 years ago

ehp

Barge, Bell is about 5 hours from me , ya I know to most that's a long ways but you can drive for 2 days just to get out of Ontario on the north west side

BargeMonkey

Quote from: ehp on January 06, 2018, 10:27:48 PM
Barge, Bell is about 5 hours from me , ya I know to most that's a long ways but you can drive for 2 days just to get out of Ontario on the north west side
10.5 hrs round trip last night in WICKED lake effect snow to pick up parts, one of the girls @ Bells parents live in Watertown, wasn't bad till I got north of Syracuse, from there to Watertown was a mess, we passed 12 cars stuffed off the side of the road at one point. Got to just get in the truck and stop up and see you and Nathan, this weather keeps up I'm going to. 😂

mike_belben

Quote from: coxy on January 06, 2018, 05:32:09 PM
no barge different guy so there is 2 of them 8) 8)  mike  a no paying logger is someone that don't pay for the logs he cuts  ;D

Thats not very nice.  Landowners dont sue?
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

barge thats normal in this area everytime we get snow. it amazing how many times I am in a tire shop and you hear the person at the counter say give me the cheapest tires you got.

Tires are the single most important part of any vehicle!

barbender

I always count it a privilege when I get to work in one of our mature pine stands.

Too many irons in the fire

lopet

Nice, you must not get strong winds down your way.  We always find when we are thinning a stand with tall trees and soft ground we always have more trees blown over shortly after. But it's sure nice not have to deal with all the underbrush.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Skeans1

barbender

Just guessing, 130-140 years old. Not quite as big as what you guys have out in the PNW in that time frame😊

barbender

Lopet, we do get some strong storms in the summer. In 2012 we had a storm come through that wiped out large swaths of this age class of pine. That storm was especially damaging to the taller trees, "supercanopy" as the foresters called them. I've never seen natural regen stands of pine windthrow after a thinning, plantation pine does fairly commonly though, especially if thinned to aggresively.

coxy

Quote from: mike_belben on January 07, 2018, 08:47:53 AM
Quote from: coxy on January 06, 2018, 05:32:09 PM

Thats not very nice.  Landowners dont sue?
you can sue all you want but if they have nothing to take what are you going to get

Skeans1

Thank You Sponsors!