iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rail cover

Started by Nvfd3052, October 13, 2013, 05:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nvfd3052

Was sittin back and thinkin about how I could protect my rails when I have to leave her outside without covering the whole mill up, and I came up with this little test piece. I think I'll put the dado blade on the table saw and do a full length piece. So far I think it's gonna work pretty good.

Woodmizer LT35HDD18 diesel
Stihl ms290
Deere 260 skid loader
01 Chevy 2500hd duramax
And a wife that loves me!

samandothers

I look forward to hearing how it goes.  I too have my mill outside and have rust on rails. I use transmission fluid on the rails but over time the rail still rusts.

beenthere

I make cuts in plastic pipe like that just with the table saw blade.
Just thinking two saw cuts vs one wide dado cut would be some easier.

Do you think you need that large an inside diam to snap onto the rail?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ga Mtn Man

Given how quickly WM paint fades in the sun,  in addition to your clever rail covers, I'd throw a tarp over it whenever possible
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Chuck White

Quote from: beenthere on October 13, 2013, 07:21:23 PM
I make cuts in plastic pipe like that just with the table saw blade.
Just thinking two saw cuts vs one wide dado cut would be some easier.

Do you think you need that large an inside diam to snap onto the rail?

I agree with beenthere and add that a narrow cut vs a wide cut will provide for some added spring tension to keep the cover in place!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

I recall seeing where somebody was using PVC pipe like that.  Me, I just use pipe insulation.  Clamp it on with cheap plastic spring clamps for windy days and transport.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Nvfd3052

Yea you are right I bet it would be easier with two cuts. As for the diameter that pic makes the pipe look really big, but it is only 1 1/2 and I don't think 1" would be big enough. I was just using what I had so I can't really say for sure
Woodmizer LT35HDD18 diesel
Stihl ms290
Deere 260 skid loader
01 Chevy 2500hd duramax
And a wife that loves me!

Thank You Sponsors!