iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log prices just took another dive.

Started by BargeMonkey, April 12, 2016, 11:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millcreek40

I guess I am lucky with where I live. #4 red oak which is 9" 0 clear faces still pays $350   20" veneer red oak is $1400 surely are different prices depending on where you live
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

coxy

Quote from: Ed_K on May 21, 2016, 08:40:49 AM
My last two loads of r/b oak were within $10. avg at two different mills. Was trying out a different mill in N.H. trucking was expensive with the N.H. mill. Then on monday my reg mill email new price list, their up $50. on red oak. But they don't buy veneer so I'm going to try Columbia F.P. for my next lot. Price of s.wood on bloomberg was up to $331. but now dropped to $303. MBH.
is Columbia buying r oak again  a few months ago my buyer for columbia didn't want any at that time I sell a lot of birch& h maple  to them and some basswood when there buying it  they had a great s maple price a few years ago to

Woodhauler

I have found that 95% of the loggers I haul for claim they are losing money!!!  Some have benn losing money for 30 years!!!  Seem to live alright though!!!  The market swings up then drops, but loggers forget the high spots!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Ed_K

is Columbia buying r oak again  a few months ago my buyer for columbia didn't want any at that time I sell a lot of birch& h maple  to them and some basswood when there buying it  they had a great s maple price a few years ago to
[/quote]
I don't know, I wanted a load ready before I called. I haven't started my next lot, last week while climbing up to get the skidder going I pulled my left arm out of place and when I let go fell onto the rear ice chains and cracked some rib on the right side so I've been hanging around the house trying to get better. You watch, it'll rain all next week then I'll be hanging around some more  :( .
Ed K

madmari

Quote from: Woodhauler on May 21, 2016, 02:38:01 PM
I have found that 95% of the loggers I haul for claim they are losing money!!!  Some have benn losing money for 30 years!!!  Seem to live alright though!!!  The market swings up then drops, but loggers forget the high spots!!
They keep you working, right? It's a good thing they don't give up because grocery money is tight.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

redprospector

Quote from: Woodhauler on May 21, 2016, 02:38:01 PM

Sounds a lot like 95% of the truckers I know.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Hiway40frank

Quote from: 4x4American on May 06, 2016, 12:10:09 AM
Quote from: coxy on April 13, 2016, 04:37:53 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 13, 2016, 03:56:51 PM
Quote from: RHP Logging on April 13, 2016, 01:42:22 PM
Yer sittn on 1.5-2 mill bf?  What are you? Some kind of timber Baron?
Not even close. I'm a small ant on a big hill around here.  :D you get in some of these spots in upstate NY / Catskill's area and there is wood to be cut. I walked a job and came in 2nd on bid, the light cut was 400mbdft, the big cut in 5yrs will be 2mil ft. The wood is out there, I can count 10-12 lots Ive got and come up with 1mil+, most of its paid for already. We are primarily an excavation / mining company, i run the wood end when im home. I buy alot of small parcels, but when I do I buy 6-8-10 of them at once if I can to cut. We make the joke if I came home right now to cut fulltime, I wouldn't leave "town" for 2yrs. It's out there you just need to go find it. Didn't mean to make the comment to brag, once I have my pile of FW up for the yr and some saw logs for us we will park everything till the price comes back up.
"COXY"....  how much wood is going to waste on DEP land ???  If most of you guys in other parts of the country saw the wood we have around on state and DEP land you would be sick.
its disgusting the trees that go to waste on them lands NY would be out of the hole and they could pay every person in the state a good chunk of change every month to live   :D :D :D :D   my wood just went up 10 bucks a thou on some not much but better than the other way  I should start thinking like some around here its going up so lets go buy a new new skidder and have it a few months till they repo it  :D :D things will go up after we get the good guy in office there will be lots of industry in ny I hope  :) :) :-X :-X

They call it "forever wild"  my friends and I call it forever wasteland lol   the timber is unbelievable

Im not siding with the DEP but the truth is there is more than enough private land in NY that has just as much wood going to waste. Right off the top of my head theres a local guy whos been trying to sell a 2500acre lot for 10 years and has owned it his whole life, never logged and is asking an insane amount of $$ for its sentimental value to him. Again im not siding with the DEP but deadfall trees are a very important part of the eco system but I do think some should be harvested.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Hiway40frank on May 21, 2016, 09:16:19 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on May 06, 2016, 12:10:09 AM
Quote from: coxy on April 13, 2016, 04:37:53 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 13, 2016, 03:56:51 PM
Quote from: RHP Logging on April 13, 2016, 01:42:22 PM
Yer sittn on 1.5-2 mill bf?  What are you? Some kind of timber Baron?
Not even close. I'm a small ant on a big hill around here.  :D you get in some of these spots in upstate NY / Catskill's area and there is wood to be cut. I walked a job and came in 2nd on bid, the light cut was 400mbdft, the big cut in 5yrs will be 2mil ft. The wood is out there, I can count 10-12 lots Ive got and come up with 1mil+, most of its paid for already. We are primarily an excavation / mining company, i run the wood end when im home. I buy alot of small parcels, but when I do I buy 6-8-10 of them at once if I can to cut. We make the joke if I came home right now to cut fulltime, I wouldn't leave "town" for 2yrs. It's out there you just need to go find it. Didn't mean to make the comment to brag, once I have my pile of FW up for the yr and some saw logs for us we will park everything till the price comes back up.
"COXY"....  how much wood is going to waste on DEP land ???  If most of you guys in other parts of the country saw the wood we have around on state and DEP land you would be sick.
its disgusting the trees that go to waste on them lands NY would be out of the hole and they could pay every person in the state a good chunk of change every month to live   :D :D :D :D   my wood just went up 10 bucks a thou on some not much but better than the other way  I should start thinking like some around here its going up so lets go buy a new new skidder and have it a few months till they repo it  :D :D things will go up after we get the good guy in office there will be lots of industry in ny I hope  :) :) :-X :-X

They call it "forever wild"  my friends and I call it forever wasteland lol   the timber is unbelievable

Im not siding with the DEP but the truth is there is more than enough private land in NY that has just as much wood going to waste. Right off the top of my head theres a local guy whos been trying to sell a 2500acre lot for 10 years and has owned it his whole life, never logged and is asking an insane amount of $$ for its sentimental value to him. Again im not siding with the DEP but deadfall trees are a very important part of the eco system but I do think some should be harvested.

Has DEP bought 30%+ of your town yet ? Raised land values so high that regular local people can't afford to buy or own land ? Their kids can't flat out keep the farm ? A septic system down here can be 20-40k bucks. The state is just as bad, but DEP flat out has no intention of harvesting wood on a large scale, it's land bought with federal money for clean water, they tell you where you can hike, hunt, fish, after you apply for a permit. The rich land owner with alot of wood at high prices is everywhere, I don't fall victim to those games. We literally own the border of the watershed, I almost wanted to put one of their stickers on my 460, they paid for it.  ;)

coxy

barge funny you say 20-40 for crap tank about 15 years ago there was 10a on top of cat hollow on rt 206 cr7 half the land was water shed the other half not (depends on witch way the water runs) the only place to get a nice house lot was in the water shed it was 18k at that time to put in a crapper had to have a big pile of sand in the middle of my lawn in front of my new house  ??? not going to happen with me so i walked away  and every 3years they had the right to come and inspect it if they thought there was a problem you had to fix it to there specs again and more or less another 4-8k or more 

BargeMonkey

I hope that Mr Coxy will back up that what I'm about to say is as close to the truth as possible, because this a sore issue with me.
It's not about the wood, I could care less. NYC has had this plan going for 100+ yrs. I doubt they will burn towns, move graves and up root family's again but I don't put it past them. They want you to move, they want you to sell out to the rich guy from NYC who comes up 4 weekends a yr. It's an aggressive socioeconomic attack on poor / middle class people, all to provide clean water to the "greatest city in the world".
My local school will probably survive 1 more yr. That's it. Not enough kids, it's been coming a while. No one can afford to build a large business in the watershed that doesn't cater to the weekenders. 2 biggest employers by me ??? Toothpaste and hard drugs at pharmaceutical labs. We have been waiting 18months on NYC approval. 12+ local jobs will be created, probably 20+ within a yr. I can show you a 6 million dollar home, and a tar paper shack with a family just making it, 5 miles apart in my county, the word poverty hits home especially in Schoharie / Greene /Delaware county.
So no jobs made less kids, less kids got rid of more jobs. No people means more vacant cheaper land for "recreational use". I'm all for responsible water use, but if you look closely you see the handwriting on the wall.
The family down the road from us sold out to NYC in late 90's, 600 an acre, now the going price is 2-4000+ an acre depending. See where I'm going with this ??? It's not the wood, it's slowly buying up every inch of ground around you, and then forcing you to obey their rules. They literally have their own police force, they actually tried enforcing traffic law on the roads they "technically" own, didn't last long but showed everyone what was going on. Again im all for clean water, responsible forestry, but this isn't what's going on.
No secret loggers in the watershed collect money for BMP's, I know a couple who make more on the bmp's than they probably do on the jobs. Money is put up by nyc /fed, clean water act, water bills and some of your tax dollars. It's a great program, but it's another form of control.

coxy

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X  :D :) i think if you look at the maps there must be at least  60%+ of all land just in Delaware co in the water shed

breederman

All so nyc doesn't have to filter their water   . They chased our families out of the reservoir and now they are chasing them out of the entire watershed .
Together we got this !

Hiway40frank

Oh I was just refering to were I live, the adirondacks. The problem here is not land cost or housing both are very cheap. The problem is lack of jobs, unless you own your own buisness or work for the govt its very hard to make a decent living up here. The exception being doctors and lawyers but they are far and few. Also we have something worse thanthe dep its called the APA, I got lucky and my land is not in one of there special zones so I can mostly do whatever I want.

BargeMonkey

As the price of land has went up, the migration has continued north. 20 yrs ago this side of the mountain was the WV equivalent to Windham / Hunter. Now we have done the dirtwork for 2 houses on TV in my town, and avoid the roads on the weekends because of the city problem, I almost blew my cork trying to unload loglength roadside with 100 idiots on antique scooters flying by me on a Sunday morning, again it's all about making NY state 1 big recreational park for the rich. It's coming your way, don't worry. I'm literally not trying to bite the hand that feeds me, I think a few of you know where we are working and the lucrative money involved working for these govt organizations, I just don't think it's right.  Got to get home, the girl from the watershed has been on me about pictures for the yearly loggers calendar.  ;D

breederman

:D :D :D :D :D I almost spit my barley beverage all over the screen !
Together we got this !

BargeMonkey

Quote from: breederman on May 22, 2016, 01:11:45 PM
Which part ???

ehp

At this point I'm sitting on the fence and really watching  ;D, I got 3-100 acre cuts approved to be cut this year and people beating my door down wanting me to cut their bush but I'm a little scared that the bottom is going to fall out , I sure hope I'm wrong and I better be wrong at the price I paid for just these parcels  :-[ :-[ :-[, these were marked over a year ago when things seemed abit stronger . I do think once Oct. hits here the price will be back and mills screaming for timber again, well at least that is what I keep telling myself  ;D

Corley5

I'm hearing that not only the timber industry but others as well are holding waiting to see November's election results :-\
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

breederman

Quote from: breederman on May 22, 2016, 01:11:45 PM
The logger calendar . I got an image in my head of one of those nude fireman calendars.
Together we got this !

coxy

i just hope it don't skyrocket to fast so every tom dick and harry think there a logger like it was 12 years ago

ehp

donot think that is going to happen here , this past winter log prices got very high but also did the stumpage and most guys just cannot afford to pay that. When you start paying $200.000 plus just for stumpage on not a big bush that slows a lot of loggers down, only a few and the sawmills can afford to pay that

Thank You Sponsors!