iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Santa stopped over in a USPS truck from Latvia

Started by MattJ, December 22, 2014, 07:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattJ

Wanted to post two quick updates. The first is Santa arrived from Latvia and delivered the Autine broadaxe I ordered!  Pretty awesome work by Janis and I can't wait to try it.

Second I wanted Jim Rogers to note the boring machine turnings on the ground and mortises as proof I'm not letting the timber framing skills erode away. Stay tuned and I might actually finish a project (a small one) before year end!

Matt

Jim_Rogers

Nice tool, nice shop, keep making chips.... Happy holidays.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

BCsaw

Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MattJ

It's a double bevel.  I have spent some time in Denmark for work and watched the timber framers there hewing timbers for both boats and frames.  They traditionally used double bevel axes so you could turn around and work the grain around knots etc.  With these you ride the bevel instead of having a flat side with offset handle.  Mike Beaudry has a video on youtube using this exact model. 

I have a project I want to do and it involves created a couple of beams longer than I can saw and I thought it would be cool to hew those few.  Jim Rogers joked that might be the first and last I ever do once I see the work involved but I'll give it a shot.  I also really love the Autine tools and the axe is really beautiful. 

Also if anyone was wondering the symbol on it is the "tree of life" per Janis (John) and I asked him to add it to the side. 

Dave Shepard

I have used a double bevel before, but mine are single, right-handed axes. I often encounter grain that is difficult to do from one direction only, and thought that a double might help with that. I know they require a little different technique than a single bevel. The other thought that I had was twin single-bevels, only mirror images. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I will add my congratulations on getting the Autine Axe from "John".  He is a very skilled and knowledgeable craftsman.  I love the customized touch.

I have a "Carpenter's Axe" that he built for me.  I also have the knife that was the last item that he built under the "John Neeman Tools" name.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MattJ

The one thing I really look forward to with this axe is passing it along someday to my kids along with the other hand made tools I have.  I want to teach them to use it and appreciate quality workmanship.  The combination of art and function in quality tools is really amazing.

Jim1611

Nice axe and shop! That table over by the bandsaw, is that adjustable for height?
"Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath."

MattJ

Yes it is adjustable.  I have a post about it here.  The one thing I really don't like are the cheap vises I put on.  I'm not sure what I was thinking with those.  They are coming off soon to have wooden threaded ones put on that I'm building.  I also need to eventually drill the holes for the dogs and holdfasts.  Another project that needs to be pushed over the finish line!

MattJ

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Jim1611

Thanks for the link on the table. I can imagine it comes in very handy quite often.
"Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath."

TW

That looks like a very good broad axe.
I have an almost simliar one that has belonged to Nils Olof Wiklund who was a very skilled carpenter in Ã…sele in northern Sweden in the 19th century. I have used the axe quite a bit and like it.

I don't know for sure how the Latvians do it but when we hew beams in Finland and northern Sweden we stand astride the log facing the end where the hewing started. Totally opposite the English way of hewing. Much easier than it looks.
Good luck with the hewing!

Dave Shepard

TW, that is the way I do it as well. Actually, I put my left knee on the log, and work backwards. I've seen a lot of different methods for hewing, typically standing up working forward. That is very hard on the body. If you do a little forensic analysis of old timbers around here, you will find most of them have been hewn by going backwards.

ChrisGermany

Beautiful axe. I've enjoyed mine immensely.

The man is an artist, and I'd buy again in a heartbeat. I miss the old prices from before they became so popular!  Now they cost over double what I paid.

But excellent work commands a high price, so I don't have a problem paying for it, as long as the high standard of quality remains.
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

Thank You Sponsors!