iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1980 440c john deere graple skidder

Started by pfhamby63, December 28, 2014, 06:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfhamby63

I have found a 1980 JD 440c grapple skidder that i am looking to purchase. Does anyone know what a fair price for that would be? and what is the performance record for this machine with a grapple.
Paul Hamby

beenthere

Good for you. Now tell us what the purchase price is, how much money you are willing to put into a working grapple skidder, and how what you think the "working" potential is for the skidder you have found.
What work do you have for the skidder as well as your experience running grapples, and skidders as well as doing the mechanics likely needed on an '80 skidder. 

You don't tell us where you are located nor where the skidder us located. Makes anyone giving you an answer of any value very tough.
Fill us in with more info and along with the many threads that can be found with some minor searching and reading, maybe can get you the help you are looking for here. ;)

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pfhamby63

The price is 26,000, the skidder is located in Arkansas, i am from Maryland. I will be using the skidder for small logging jobs, firewood and residential tree work. Logging is not my primary business, its residentail tree removal. This skidder would work great for helping get trees out of back yards with the grapple. So i would not be using this skidder much for heavy pulling. 
Paul Hamby

RayMO

Hard to say. I just passed on a 440B with added grapple in same state needing a bit of work for $6,000.00 . I do think the machine would work very well for your mentioned use.
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

pfhamby63

Is the 440 b with grapple still available and what year, and how much work does it need? If so could you give me contact.
Paul Hamby

Maine logger88

I would think a 440 grapple would be very tippy I would be very careful if you get one
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Nemologger

Im with Maine Logger88...I think if you go with a 440 you would want a cable machine. I used to own a 440b grapple years ago, it was just too light.
Clean and Sober

Thank You Sponsors!