iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forwarder advice/ direction

Started by bkellyvtme, March 01, 2013, 10:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkellyvtme

Looking to get a good strong forwarder. I will be working on some steep grades. Size is not much of an issue. Little is o.k. as long as it is strong. Thoughts?

TJ 1010/1110??
Valmet?
Ponsse?
Rottne?

PAFaller

Rottne has a pretty strong following up your way I think. Theres a few crews around here running them too and everyone I have talked to seems to love them. Id like to get in to one but kinda spendy for a one man show.  Id see what other guys in your area are running and how they like them, dealer support with equipment like that is key.
It ain't easy...

Jamie_C

For steep grades i would be going with either the TJ/JD 1010 or the Rottne, i have run both on some very steep hills and they handled it no problem. The Ponsse i ran a bit was borderline useless when it came to hill climbing ability and i wouldn't use one on hilly ground again if i expected to get anything done. I have no experience with Valmets so can't help you there.

1270d

Deere s are nice. Good power. Im sure ponsse is similar.  Which brand could provide better support

snowstorm

whats your price range? and how much fixing up do you want to do

bkellyvtme

Quote from: snowstorm on March 01, 2013, 08:02:51 PM
whats your price range? and how much fixing up do you want to do

Around 150 or less. I hope it will need minimal work.

snowstorm

are you cutting by hand or have a harvestor? milton had a rottne the last time i was there. 100k i belive is what they were asking. they also had a jd that was only 2 or 3 yrs old. there really arent many to pick from in the northeast.

bkellyvtme

Just sold the skidder and now I am looking at getting a processor and forwarder. Might be going in full tilt by late spring. Might be the wrong time to do it, or maybe it is the right time. Who knows. Just getting a good plan together, watching markets, found a couple new ones, taking a close look on how to better market myself, and maybe within a couple months it might happen. I saw the ones milton has. I found a Rottne with low hours for O.K. money, although I haven't really started to play hardball with'em yet.

Ken

$150K will buy a very nice used forwarder.  It will also require a lot of wood to justify that expense unless you have lots of extra cash laying around.  A lot of wood will require a capable harvester which generally is quite a bit more expensive than a forwarder.  I think now is a very good time to be looking at increasing production.  Industry may be poised to do a bit better over the next while.  Good luck in your decision.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Thank You Sponsors!