iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello, new member here

Started by mtoo747, November 30, 2018, 09:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtoo747

Hello to all! Just wanted to introduce myself. Recently bought a woodland mills hm126 trailer mounted mill to do some hobby milling and so far i love it!
This spring i had gone to a local sawmill to buy lumber for a new garden shed and going there got me interested in sawmills. I had been there a few times before but for some reason this time was different. 
I started watching videos online and i was hooked. I was fascinated with big slabs and crotch grains and beautiful woods being revealed for the first time.
I struggled with the thought of buying a mill for several months because i really didn't NEED one, but i sure did WANT one! Finally in Sept. after bouncing my thoughts off of friends and family i decided that i really needed a new hobby and i could make it happen, so i ordered the hm126, 14 hp, extended trailer model.
So far i haven't really milled any lumber yet, just doing hobby stuff, been milling a bunch of red cedar and making some live edge benches and coat racks. My brother owns a tree service so i have a source for logs.
Mostly cedar and some chunks of cherry so far.
I have tossed one blade so far by not torquing it up before starting up and i have cut my fist metal...a backstop. 
I expect to have my first lumber project very soon. A friend has a nice straight cherry log about 18" x 20' that he would like to mill up for lumber for future projects. He is a builder and may want to build some cabinets with it. If we can make good boards... i can use some pointers here..remember i'm brand new at this  ;D

Magicman

And a warm Welcome to you too Sir.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Welcome mtoo747.  Yep bit by the saw dust bug.  You are already into it congratulations!

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

thecfarm

mtoo747,welcome to the forum.
I say I looked for 20 years before I bought a mill. I went to fairs to see them run,shows and special events,I was there looking and watching. I really only looked at the manual mills,because that is what I wanted. I only saw for myself. There will be a show in Bangor,ME in May. I don't think there is much ou on it yet. All sorts of sawmills,skidders,wood splitters,shavers,anything to do with wood will be there. A good place to watch and learn.
Sounds like you will enjoy sawing.
I had no idea what I am doing and still don't,but the lumber I saw is the same thickness and width,so I must be something right.
Don't worry about those backstops. Keep sawing into them until you make them shorter.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jwswan

I'm new here too, though I've been lurking around for years.  I'm really impressed with the discourse here.  Civil, thoughtful, and collaborative. I've always been leery of online forums, but this one is an exception.  It's a great resource.  As for mills, I've been building wooden boats professionally for almost 20 years (I'm 38 now). I always really liked the primary/secondary processing side of things, and a few of my best friends in life are foresters,  though I always felt like a sawmill was an expensive luxury, a retired person's "toy".  Was I wrong!! I shoulda bought my Woodmizer my first day in business!  It would've saved me lots of money, and more importantly, some bad decisions, i.e.; saying yes to jobs I shouldn't have taken. As satisfying as it is to build a boat,  I really, really love opening up logs. And as for staring down a big log on your mill, Pete Culler, a well known boatbuilder and author opined in one of his great writings, "Experience starts when you begin".   I can sure get in my own way in terms of hesitation or uncertainty, and I constantly revisit the gravity of his wise words.  Good luck with the cherry!  It'll be fantastic.
Keep 'em guessin'.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, mtoo747!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!