iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back to Basics

Started by DouginUtah, December 18, 2007, 11:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

What kind of tree do acorns grow on?

http://www.energybulletin.net/38398.html

Questioning what students know. Sort of like the question "Where does the weight of a tree come from?"
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

RSteiner

The scarry thing is how many people don't care to know.  This is also information you can not learn from video games.

My sister and her kids once collected a bunch of acorns that had fallen from an acron tree and processed them into flour then made bread.  She said it was a good experience for the kids and the bread was different but good.  The process of turning acrons into flour was some what time consuming and she felt King Author did a much better job making flour.

Learning what there is out there growing wild that you can live on is a good thing and knowing where it all comes from helps one respect the environment a littel more.

Randy
Randy

scgargoyle

Soooo- are ya gonna tell us, or keep us in suspense? ;D I do know that chocolate milk comes from brown cows, and orange juice comes from orangutans.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

DouginUtah

I'm guessing that it might be oak.  ;D

Do I need to tell you where the weight of a tree comes from also?   ;) :D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Tom

BrandonTN

Yeah, acorns grow on oaks....that's the "genus", atleast.  :)

or how about Angiosperms (ie, flower/fleshy fruit producing trees)?  :D
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

Coon

Tom, I think you're definately a little too urbanized. :D ;D ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

rebocardo

I forget which TV station did it, but, they went to FL on spring break and 75% of the college kids could not ID Florida on a map. Kind of funny they couldn't even get the hint of it being south while being at the beach. Might have been Leno who did it.

My mother taught GED at a college in MA to displaced (laid off) workers from a factory. She is in a college building with a classroom looking out onto the ocean and people did not know the name of the ocean out the window nor could they ID it on a map. How hard is it to pick MA out on a map  :-\

So, no surprise on the acorns for me.

mdvaden

My first thought was oaks, but my mind held back the answer in case there was something I didn't know about.

Like how Japanese Umbrella Pine is not a pine.

Or how conifers can be deciduous, which was new to me once.

The part the article mentioned about the food source, is something I learned of just in the last month.

Phorester

Years ago I needed the address of the Salvation Army office in Harrisonburg, a big city about 70 miles south of me.  I went by the local SA office.  The lady at the desk, looked to be in her 40s,  had never heard of Harrisonburg.  I had to ask her, are you from here?  Yep, she said proudly, born and raised right here.   ::)

It's also amazing the number of people that can't give directions to their own house.  Some people will just ask me to meet them at a certain store or intersection, then I follow them to their house. This was a major problem for the emergency services before the 911 phone system which automatically gives the address of the phone being used for the call.

Thank You Sponsors!