iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Too bad about the bird and even more sad that they won't let you mount it for keeps. They couldn't be too concerned if they never showed since 6 weeks ago, reporting it dead.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

We did some studying when we were being entertained by the one here and found that we couldn't even be in possession of a feather of an owl or an eagle without running afoul of the law.

Mooseherder

This Red-Bellied Woodpecker was making a racket on the gutter downspout this morning. Went to snag a picture. He left for a moment and came back to the peak.

Onthesauk

We've got a pair of woodpeckers or sap suckers that play on our rooster weather vane on top of the garage each spring.  Always scares me half to death the first couple of times they start banging on it, makes a real racket.

Noticed today that we have a dead tree visable from the kitchen window, broken off about 20 feet from the ground.  Two fresh nesting holes within about 4 feet of the top so we may get to see them nest this year.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Mooseherder

We had a couple Hawks here this morning making alot of racket. One of them was in a tree eating another bird. I figured out how to program the Zoom after taking these pics. The quality isn't great cause I enlarged with Xat, then cropped and resized. I could see this guy great with binoculars and not at all with the Digital Camera because the zoom hadn't been programmed yet.

Here is a pic of a smaller hawk by the pond.

Next pics should get better. ;)

SwampDonkey

I saw a couple crows dive bombing a hawk yesterday. Too far away for pictures. The hawk was brown with a lot of white under his wings and tail. I'm thinking a marsh hawk.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

There is a couple hundred acres just north of us 1 block that we thought was a protected wetland. Turns out it is part of a development that was on it's eastern border.  They have been clearing and grinding the trees in the new development which was just loaded with an invasive tree species called maleluca. There has been alot of Bird activity because of the disruption. We usually hear the Hawks everyday, so their nests must not be in the affected area.

Onthesauk

Swallows showed up for the first time today, band tailed pigeons over the weekend and a pair of red winged blackbirds yesterday.  Realized that I need to get the hummingbird feeders out, have had them back this early a couple of years in the past.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

Probably won't see robins and grackles here for 3 weeks, although there is lots of bare ground on the fields.

isawlogs

Swamp , I saw my first robin here this morning , I dont know what he is thinking, I might have to go to the store and get him some worms and throw them on the ten square feet of lawn that is showing .....  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Yup I saw one robin yesterday in Lakeville and a flock of grackles around a feeder in town. Spring has sprung.

Onthesauk

Walking down to the garden area after dinner tonight.  Stopped just short of the meadow and was watching about 20 robins working the lawns.  All the sudden a bird went by me about 40 miles an hour, swept around a clump of birch and out into the meadow, after the robins.  Missed them all and sat down in a tree and watched me for a bit and then flew on up the hill.  Small gray hawk, maybe 10 inches tall.  Believe it was an immature sharp shinned hawk.  Beautiful bird!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Raphael

My father thought he'd found a dead Sparrow Hawk laying on it's back in the driveway this morning...
At least it seemed pretty dead until he picked it up by the tail feathers, fortunately that little beak only makes tiny little holes in fingers.

Here is is hitching a ride in dad's S10.

And playing hard to get in the barn.

He's down at the local Audubon Society Center recovering from being stunned.  No idea what hit him but there is a small abrasion on his head above his right eye.  When and if he fully recovers we'll be bringing him back here to release.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

wwsjr

Looks like our first hatch of bluebirds (4 birds) are almost ready to fly, got lots of real feathers. We had about 50 hatch last year in 6 houses. 
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

thecfarm

I suppose you have the western bluebird?They have more blue that goes down the throat.I have the eastern bluebirds.Ours have just came back and looking for a place to raise thier young.We useally get 6-8 that will look at all of the houses but lucky if 2 pair stay.The sparrows will drive them off.I call the bluebirds a polite bird.They don't want no trouble,they will leave.They won't fight.The sparrows will keep pestering them until they leave.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

Great pictures, Rapheal !!!!

How big is that bird? It's not in my bird books ! Can you tell us more about it ???

Last fall I saw a similar bird near some deer guts. Didn't see as much brown. Couldn't find it in any books ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Onthesauk

Rapheal,     I think they are the prettiest hawk out there!  I grew up with them in Montana but never saw them in Western Washington until just the last 5 or 6 years.  Always thought it was too wet for them.  But they now winter over here and we see them all the time.  Great to see such good close-ups of him!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

bitternut

Looks like a Kestrel to me. They are pretty busy setting up house keeping right now in my area. I might be mistaken but I believe they are our smallest hawk. I have a nest box close by my bird feeder and their presence doesn't seem to bother the small birds using the feeder.

sprucebunny

Yes, bitternut, I found it in the book as a kestrel but it shows a browner chest/belly.

It says they can hover like a kingfisher. That must be what I saw.

Great !! I'm always happy to see a new to me bird ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Raphael

You're correct bitternut, the "American Sparrowhawk" (Sparrow-Hawk or Sparrow Hawk) is the American Kestral (Falco sparverius) and not a true Accipitor like the Eurasian varieties...  Old naming habits die hard.  They are supposed to be a good bird for learning falconry.
  This little guy isn't much over 8" or 9" tops.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

SwampDonkey

They are very common here where you have pastures and power lines along the roads where they perch. They seem to love hey fields and stubble ground. We also get northern shrieks passing by in spring and fall as they come and go from the north country. I don't know if they are a raptor or not, but they hunt mice and small birds. The mice are almost as big as the bird. ;D

Mooseherder

A Little Blue Heron came for a visit this morning. ;)

pigman

These two geese came walking through my yard last week. They were heading due south to escape the cold weather we had last week. It has warmed up today, so I expect to see them on their way back north soon.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

caz

CFARM, Get the bluebird houses with the hole on the bottom of the box problem solved no more house sparrows.

isawlogs

Caz...

Ya got pics or drawings of those bluebird houses , I got me the sparow haunting da beuebird here ... That sounds like a winner house to me .  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!