iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody recognize this puppy?

Started by Stu Redman, July 01, 2015, 06:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Redman

I didn't bother taking detailed notes. Found in a moist woods. Big plant, 3-4 feet tall. Big leaves.

beenthere

Be a big help if your location was in your profile. Otherwise... we don't even know what country...  ;)

Click your forum name, then your profile and make the additions. It will show up like the other poster's.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stu Redman

K, thanks. What do the trees under your screen name mean?

mesquite buckeye

As you post comments and reach certain top secret numbers you get more trees. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

That is not a puppy. It is a plant. smiley_biggrin01
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

Looks similar to cow parsnip, but I don't believe it to be.

Probably a waterleaf species.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stu Redman

It does look like a waterleaf, but it doesn't match up with any reported in my state. I think it's cow parsnip after all.

SwampDonkey

Are the stems grooved and hollow?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Babylon519

Hi,

Google "giant hogweed" and see if it looks close. Then, if that's what it is, don't get too close!  My wife grew some of that a few years back as an ornamental, but it's invasive and huge and takes over pretty quickly. She was cutting it down when she got a wee smear of the sap on her leg. Well, this sap is activated by sunlight and within a few days, she had a rash that looked more like flesh-eating disease. It turned out to be quite the burn, and took many months to clear up and disappear. Nasty stuff! I'm not saying that's what you have, but when I saw your photo, it immediately reminded me of giant hogweed. Take care, Jason.
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

Stu Redman

I didn't take notes, guys. Sorry. I don't think it's giant hogweed though. I believe giant hogweed has one stem that grows far taller than all the others. This plant has stems of about equal height.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!