iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old software/Newcomputer question

Started by David Freed, May 29, 2010, 11:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Freed

I have an old cad program that is no longer sold or supported by the manufacturer. I call it a self-contained file (probably isn't the right term) because it works without changing any registry or other files. It worked in the XP and Vista computers I had, but when I try to open it with Windows 7, I get a pop-up that says it isn't compatible and to contact the publisher. Vellum (the publisher) doesn't even have any info on it any more. Does anyone know how to make it work on Windows 7? I can e-mail the file if anyone would like to look at it it is only 1 mb.

Warbird

You can try running it in "compatibility mode".  A quick google search turned up this easy to follow tutorial on how to go about it.  I have not run Win7 yet but let me know if you have any other questions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html

David Freed

I spent 20 minutes trying every available change the compatibility mode allows. It doesn't work. That's why I am asking if anyone here knows what to do.

Warbird

I'd have to get my hands on it to be of any help.  Are you running Win7 in 64 bit?  If it were me, I'd see about installing some free VM software and then run XP as a VM when I needed to run that program.  That's what I do on my Mac at work when I need to run Windows programs.

DouginUtah

Windows 7 Home Premium does not have XP compatability mode. You would have to upgrade if that is what you are running.

(Posted from Onalaska, WA.)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

woodmills1

open office does a nice job for me running things like my invoice form and business card I created in much older windows programs, though it takes a few seconds to recognize and convert
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

David Freed

Quote from: DouginUtah on May 29, 2010, 05:01:05 PM

Windows 7 Home Premium does not have XP compatibility mode. You would have to upgrade if that is what you are running.
Two of the choices I have for compatibility are XP service pack 2 and 3, but they won't let the program open.

Quote from: Warbird on May 29, 2010, 04:02:24 PM
I'd have to get my hands on it to be of any help.  Are you running Win7 in 64 bit?  If it were me, I'd see about installing some free VM software and then run XP as a VM when I needed to run that program.  That's what I do on my Mac at work when I need to run Windows programs.
I understood part of what you said. I don't know what VM is. How do you find out what bit it's set on?

Warbird

A "VM" is a virtual machine.  Basically, you would have a virtual XP computer running within your Win7 computer.  If you've never set one up, it can be a high learning curve.  Best to try something else.

Just to confirm, what version of Win7 are you running?  Not Home?

David Freed

Quote from: Warbird on May 29, 2010, 08:44:50 PM
A "VM" is a virtual machine.  Basically, you would have a virtual XP computer running within your Win7 computer.  If you've never set one up, it can be a high learning curve.  Best to try something else.

Just to confirm, what version of Win7 are you running?  Not Home?
Sorry for not replying sooner. I got busy and forgot about this thread. (My wife is convinced I have A.D.D.)
I have Windows 7 Home Premium. I will send you a copy of the program if I can figure out how. I don't see how to do it in a pm, and I don't see your e-mail listed.

Warbird

I will PM you my email address.  Please keep it private.  :)  It may be a few days before I can test it out.

Thank You Sponsors!