iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Herbicide Spray Pump

Started by Dave Steele, March 02, 2008, 10:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Steele

Building a 3-point hitch spray rig.  Spraying fern w/ glyphosate/oust mixture from a 35 gal tank.  Spraying with gun on 50 ft hose.  Do not want to run 1948 Ferguson tractor all day w/ PTO.  Can you recommend a reliable electric pump that will run up to 60 psi? Can I expect to run the pump all day off a battery-regular 12 volt or deep cell?

ID4ster

Most any good quality 12 volt pump will do the job. Make sure that your spray rig has constant agitation if you're going to be spraying OUST. If you do not continually agitate the tank the OUST will settle out and you won't get the affect that you want. Remember it needs rain to get it into the ground since it doesn't go in through the leaves. I'm also not sure how effective it is on ferns though it is a great grass killer.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

beenthere

Quote from: Dave Steele on March 02, 2008, 10:30:29 PM
Building a 3-point hitch spray rig.  ..............  Do not want to run 1948 Ferguson tractor all day w/ PTO.  .................

For the 3pt to work, the PTO is running anyway...right?   Or do you lock the 3pt arms in place so the hyd. pump isn't running?

I have a 30 gallon sprayer that uses a 12v pump (surflo I believe) and it works just fine...I usually spray at around 20 psi however. I like the lower pressure. I sprayed oust around planted pine and hardwoods for grass control on 20+ acres for a few years.

I'd think getting the 12v from the Ferguson would be a problem, or is it converted to 12?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Steele

Thanks guys. The glyphosate/oust mix is the standard for fern here on the Allegheny Plateau.  My understanding is that the Oust provides the residual effect and also kills the fern that is sprayed and then run thru/crushed by the machine.  I appreciate the note on agitation-first I have heard that it is important.
My goal is to run the tractor as little as possible, so I need to shut it down and pump with electric (it has been converted to 12 volt).  I spray a 50 diameter with hose and hand gun and then start up and move to next location.

Thank You Sponsors!