iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hercules/Eaton winch on a 1978 225 TJ

Started by David-L, November 05, 2015, 05:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Eaton winch, question is, it has been weeping a little hyd oil on the piston cup side so I am assuming it is the PSI plate seal as that is where the oil is showing up on that PSI plate ( bottom where swivel connector attaches ). I have checked the swivel fitting and thats tight so thinking it,s that seal. I will take the winch off and clean it up and as I have no experience with these, can I pull the bearer leg off and slide everything back to get to that seal or is it more complicated than that. Like I said not alot of oil and it has not fouled the brake band yet so thinking it's a must do soon before it does as I have a little time while a cutting plan for the next job is completed. Oh ya, winch has been working well and the brake has been holding well to.Thanks.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

GRANITEstateMP

We took our winch right off the machine and did a rebuild on the shop floor.  Got all the seals and some good tips from the guys at Harolds up in Maine.  It was a bit intimidating at first but not bad once you got stuff pulled apart.  It was also super easy to get to some of the grease fitting once the winch was off ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

David-L

Should have parts to get it back together soon. Rebuilding the piston. Not a bad job, the support leg came off hard though.

Neilo

Looks like it is going well, and with the right gear to lift it out easy.

This can be done in the machine, and getting the leg off usually requires loosening the bolts on the left side as well, so the frame can move a little.

When you are putting it back together, it is much easier with two people, one to hold the cylinder, and the other to install the leg. Otherwise, install the cylinder and tie something around the shaft (keeping the cylinder together), install the leg and take out what you tied around the shaft.

Neilo

David-L

Thanks Neilo, will zip tie the shaft once the piston is lined up and compressed and yes after getting the leg off I then thought about loosening the opposite side for some play. Live and learn. does the felt go into the groove where the alignment pin is. no felt to be found on mine and should I get the old style cups ( rubber ) or the new style with some kind of aluminum holders. The hose was cracked and leaking also but not spraying yet. Hopefully getting parts today and puttin it back together.

Neilo

The felt goes where you describe, between the cylinder and the thrust bearing to help keep grease in. Manual states just put it in the clutch plate after thrust bearing, then install cylinder.

I don't know about new style cups, what do they recommend?

David-L

I was told the the Rubber cups are easier to put in and will make a better seal if there are and variations in the shaft or walls in the piston which makes sense to me. I went with the rubber and they were cheaper also. My machine is a 1978 and when I took the winch off the original paint I believe was on the bolts and nuts. Those original rubber cups will probably be just fine. It was the original hose also which was getting weak and weeping. New one was 20 bucks. Neilo, once assembled do I need to do anything other than work the winch a few times to fill the piston with fluid?

David-L

I mean't to say New old stock original cups with new backup washers.

Neilo

As there is no way to bleed the cylinder, I think it may always hold some air unless it passes the seals. But the hydraulics will keep pressure to the clutch regardless. So it will probably work first time you winch in. A few turns of the lever can't hurt.

David-L

Back together and going in the machine tomorrow. The old style cups were suppose to be easy. Kinda fought with it though before it went together. Thanks for the help Neilo.

Thank You Sponsors!