iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice for landowner wanting to hire a forestry professional to work on land

Started by bigtrees, June 06, 2018, 02:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtrees

Now that we've closed on our tree farm, I'm in need to hire someone to do work on the land. I live many hours away and would prefer to hire some to do various forestry tasks than to try to spend my vacation time trying to do them myself.

I've never hired a professional to manage forestland before and wanting to get some feedback from those on here about how to do it. These are the tasks that I think I need to hire. Can all of these be done by one person, or do I need to hire a separate person to do each one? I would much prefer to establish a relationship with one professional that can do all of them.

1) Prepare soil and plant seedlings. (Tasks - chemical spray to kill existing vegetation, mechanically disturb soil, plant seedlings, install mesh tubes, install mulch rings, and monitor for weed growth)
2a) Burn existing slash piles on property (there are some huge ones). After completion of burning slash piles, reseed burned area with native plants and monitor periodically for weeds.
2b) Alternative to 2a: Chip piles in lieu of burning.
3) Spray seedlings 3 times per year for 10 years with deer repellent
4) Make annual site visit for observation for noxious weeds. Apply chemical treatment as required to keep weed growth to a minimum.
5) Fell and remove dead / dying trees as required.
6) Plant 5 - 10 understory shrubs (mountain snowberry, etc) per year in vicinity of future building site.
7) Cut an forest access road to be able to drive into property.

Would appreciate your comments.

BaldBob

Many forest consulting firms could either take on or oversee all those tasks (subbing out some of them).  A good place to start your search would be the Association of Consulting Foresters website  https://www.acf-foresters.org/  

You might also get responses from foresters on this site if you gave your location.

bigtrees

Quote from: BaldBob on June 06, 2018, 03:49:32 AM
Many forest consulting firms could either take on or oversee all those tasks (subbing out some of them).  A good place to start your search would be the Association of Consulting Foresters website  https://www.acf-foresters.org/  

You might also get responses from foresters on this site if you gave your location.
I've thought about hiring a forester, but was thinking that I am needing more of folks that are hands-on with shovels and pickaxes. I feel pretty comfortable, that with the help of state and federal resources, I can develop the plans on what needs to be done, but don't have the time (or interest) in actually doing the labor of planting trees, burning brush, and cutting forest roads.

I am not thinking that a forester would actually be digging dirt (or supervising those that do) but would be more like a general contractor?

TKehl

How easy do you expect it to be to be your own GC from several hours away...  Especially with a tight labor market...

If not a forester, a landscaping company may be your best bet.  

I won't rule out finding an individual with all these skills that is willing, honest, hard working, and available, but I think Vegas has better odds.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Matt601

Here in MS we get timber companys to plant our land. I had 30 acres planted about 6 years ago and just paid plum creek to do it. They have the man power and the trees. I planted 800 per acre and I think it was $4,000.  
No matter where you go there you are!!!

Thank You Sponsors!