iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade Folding..Why can't I get it?

Started by dirtymartini, July 22, 2018, 09:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtymartini

I have watched the video on Wood Mizer's website and also saw a video here showing how to do it. I tried about ten times today and just wasn't getting it. I have about a dozen blades to send to re-sharp and need to get them folded.

jason.weir

I haven't watched Woodmizer's video but I'll see if I can describe how I do it.

I hold the blade in my outstretched left hand teeth facing away from me with the blade hanging straight down

I step on the blade on the ground and pull up with my left hand while rotating the blade about the vertical axis

as I get the blade rotated almost 180 degrees, I start bringing it down towards my feet.

This is where its hard to describe, but the blade just starts to fold up.

Keep trying..

Jason

Southside

Are you trying to roll it into a circle or use the flat pack / clip box?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Banjo picker

I was taught to take the band in both hands, holding it straight out in front of you, teeth down.  Have your hands about 18"s or so away from your sides, the back of the band will be under your table muscle... (belly) ...Have on gloves.  Give the band a little snap so the part away from you goes down, and the band will roll into a nice circle.  It would be easier to learn on a thinner band, say .42 or so instead of the heaver ones like .50 or .55.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

low_48

How bloody are you by now? As mentioned practice on something smaller. Get a cheap little bandsaw blade from the box store to practice on. Once you get confident, start with the mill blades. 

Doug Wis

My first mill was a keenerbuilt with a 13' 6" blade. Never could get figure out how fold that. Then got the TK 1600 with a 16'6" blade . Coiled it up like a pro the first try. Think the width and thickness were the same. Must have been the extra length that gave me more to work with. keep trying.
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

PAmizerman

It's kinda hard to explain. Once you figure it out it just comes naturally 

I've always done it teeth up for some reason. Maybe I'll try teeth down next time.

The spacing between your hands is important. I'll measure tomorrow to see where I hold it. Once you do it you will know by feel where to grab.

Hold the band in front of you with arms outstretched. Roll you're wrists inward and down in a quick snapping motion. At this point it will be half coiled and pull the bottom loop to finish.

Not sure if this helps. Hand spacing on the band has a lot to do with it.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Crossroads

I do it the same as banjo, only with the teeth up. If you want to make a fellow scratch his head, it works with chainsaw chains also 😋 
The part I need to figure out is unfolding them. They cut me every time, then I started just throwing them up in the air, out in the yard. Boing, unfolded 😬
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

redbeard

With blade extended out 90° in front of you with teeth facing up to the sky, thumbs on the teeth, your left  hand over right hand as you flip.

Super Easy Bandsaw Blade Unfolding Tip - YouTube
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Satamax

Few years back, someone had a very good video with a simple trick about this, here. Can't remember tho. 

This one is simple. 

Folding a Band Saw Blade, - YouTube
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

dirtymartini

Quote from: Southside logger on July 22, 2018, 09:57:03 PM
I was trying the method I saw on Wood Mizer's website...Hold it out in front of you, swing it down while crossing you arms...

dirtymartini

Quote from: redbeard on July 23, 2018, 12:18:18 AM
With blade extended out 90° in front of you with teeth facing up to the sky, thumbs on the teeth, your left  hand over right hand as you flip.

Super Easy Bandsaw Blade Unfolding Tip - YouTube
This guy makes it look so easy...and it probably is, I just haven't found the knack yet. The good thing is I haven't bloodied myself yet :o If it ever stops raining here I'll try it again.

Satamax

Quote from: dirtymartini on July 23, 2018, 05:41:42 AM
Quote from: Southside logger on July 22, 2018, 09:57:03 PM
I was trying the method I saw on Wood Mizer's website...Hold it out in front of you, swing it down while crossing you arms...
I think the method i have posted the video of is simpler. 
Myself, i don't do it this way. 
I step on it, put my two hands on the blade, not far from each other, and twist the blade, like if i was decelerating on a motorcycle. one whole turn and a half, done. Tho, the other method seems easier. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

PA_Walnut

I use Satamax's method, but I gotta learn that Swede's technique...it's gotta be Vodka inspired!  :o :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

bandmiller2

If you have a large vee belt practice with that, no blood. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerTed

Excellent demonstration and instructions Chuck! 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

69bronco

I just put them in bunches of ten, one inside the other. Squeeze the bunch together and put the provided ring on, slide the whole bunch in the flat pack box provided from re-sharp.

Remle

I prefer a simpler slow motion way of folding blades. Yes, I bravely started out by throwing the blade around until one broke from a stress crack, did a few dance moves that would have impressed John Travolta.
Start with 1/3 of the blade between your hands, teeth up, hands on the out side with fingers up to the inside, leave your palm open. Rest the blade against your stomach, lower the free end up against a solid object about 1' off the floor/ground. Take one step forward, as you do raise your arms and bring them together in front of you. The blade will curl across making loops and the end against your stomach will fall down and away forming a loop, gather up the loops. Now for the disclaimer, try it at your own risk, just start out slow. For me it is a controlled slow motion way motion way to fold up blades.

Crossroads

On a side note, I ship them in a flat box for resharp. I fold them as they come off the mill at mobile jobs because they take up a little less space in the pickup. Besides, it typically gets a little bit of "wow affect" from the customers who have never seen it done. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

dirtymartini

I finally got it! It stopped raining for 5 minutes :D so outside I went to give it another try. I realized I wasn't rotating my wrists outward like I saw in the Swede's video. Once I did that it was a piece of cake 8)
I'll get lots of practice, I have about a dozen to go to re-sharp and I have a 50% off coupon!!!

Thanks to all who replied and gave advice, it was a big help.

Thank You Sponsors!