iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my dream Shop

Started by Geeg, November 28, 2012, 07:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeg

Well thats what I was planning on doing with it until we finished raising the shop and the boss took a step back and laid claim and decided it was going to be our new retirement shack.

I thought I would share with those that wish or are in the process of setting out to do the same thing, that is build a timber frame home, not to have your wife confiscate your shop ;)

My plan entailed building my shop and then outfitting it with all my toys which would enable me to build the main timber frame house. My best friend (my wife) and I wanted to build a business for when we retire to keep us busy and in shape. The plan involved building a net zero home, one that cost nothing to operate, being well insulated and using bio fuel to heat the home and all electricity cost to be offset with a 10KW solar system. Well, after 3 years of still working on it, we have gained headway and the house is somewhat complete with another year to go or so. The shop is now back on the drawing board and while it won't be a timber frame it will be a place that I can hang all my tools and do what I set out to do which was to have a place I can go to build stuff, I guess with all things, sometimes you just have to compromise.

I will post more of the pictures as I get them uploaded.

Sub-floor ready for the frame. This build was on an existing foundation (55 years old) but in hindsight should have removed it and started over.
Foundation is 50'x30'

My wife and I waiting for the guys to show up.

Remote control crane

2nd bent

2 bents up

Hammer beam going up

My contractor keeping an eye on things.

Me pounding some pegs

Not bad for a days work!

View from second story loft.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

thecfarm

I can see why she did that. Nice looking!!! Build a stick built one next time.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Leigh Family Farm

Nice looking shop...or house, apparently it depends on whose talking!  :D
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Geeg

The next step was having the SIP's delivered, they came from Foam Laminates in Vermont. I found that the cost was almost half than buying them from Canada and that included the shipping.

I used 6-1/2" for the walls and 10-1/8" for the roof, the basement foundation has 1 1/2" foam sheeting on the outside (a story for another day) and 1-1/2" on the inside with an additional layer of roxsol R22 bringing the basement R value to approx 39R. The SIP panels were pre cut except for the window locations. It took about a week to install the all the SIP's.

The SIP's finally arrive, takes 1 hour with 2 tractors to offload and stack them.

Panels stacked up around the house.

Second story loft

All the SIP's are up and the windows and doors have been cut to the proper sizes.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

sawmillhand

geeg   

that sure is super nice i would love to be able to build a shop or home like that we simple dont have the trees down here in the south for that  a plus job there. ;D
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Geeg

Quote from: sawmillhand on November 29, 2012, 05:37:53 AM
geeg   

that sure is super nice i would love to be able to build a shop or home like that we simple dont have the trees down here in the south for that  a plus job there. ;D

Hi sawmillhand, we could only find about 1/4 of the white pine here and ended up finding the rest on your side of the border but that was 3 years ago?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Geeg and Sawmillhand,

Geeg, your frame is beautiful, you must really be happy. 

Sawmillhand, you shouldn't give up on your dreams of building what Geeg has.  There are trees in your area as nice or nicer than they have in Canada.  I'm in Vermont and our forest are similar to what our brothers and sisters to the North have, but I would give anything to have your choices.  You have what we do, plus a whole lot more, and I have seen, (and helped build,) some excellent frames with "Southern" wood.  You can build what ever you dream, just take your time, ask questions, and be patient with yourself.  ;)

Regards,

Jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Geeg

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on November 29, 2012, 09:56:58 PM
Hi Geeg and Sawmillhand,

Geeg, your frame is beautiful, you must really be happy. 

Sawmillhand, you shouldn't give up on your dreams of building what Geeg has.  There are trees in your area as nice or nicer than they have in Canada.  I'm in Vermont and our forest are similar to what our brothers and sisters to the North have, but I would give anything to have your choices.  You have what we do, plus a whole lot more, and I have seen, (and helped build,) some excellent frames with "Southern" wood.  You can build what ever you dream, just take your time, ask questions, and be patient with yourself.  ;)

Regards,

Jay

I agree with you Jay, Sawmillhand I wouldn't worry about wood, you can get it anywhere. I had this dream for a very long time and took it one day at a time, did a lot of research and more dreaming. If you want something bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen.

Yes Jay, I am happy with the outcome, even though it didn't turn out quite as expected it has been quite a learning experience and one that I can look back on and say, ya that was a lot of fun.

Regards,
Geeg

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Geeg,

As a professional timber wright, I can tell you that with each frame, (big or small,) the joy gets stronger, (at least for me.)  You will always see things in your work, (we did 5 frames in our collective shops this past month,) that you would do differently.  I think it is in the blood of anyone that comes to this craft, to forever fall further in love with it, but at the same time become self-deprecating the longer we do it.  I think that is why I love teaching it as much as doing it, for I live vicariously through those I share the craft with.

Regards,

Jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

bedway

Beautiful craftsmanship and i enjoyed the photo process.

Geeg

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on November 30, 2012, 07:43:28 AM
Hi Geeg,

As a professional timber wright, I can tell you that with each frame, (big or small,) the joy gets stronger, (at least for me.)  You will always see things in your work, (we did 5 frames in our collective shops this past month,) that you would do differently.  I think it is in the blood of anyone that comes to this craft, to forever fall further in love with it, but at the same time become self-deprecating the longer we do it.  I think that is why I love teaching it as much as doing it, for I live vicariously through those I share the craft with.

Regards,

Jay

Jay, sounds like you are living the dream!. Its great to see people like you who are passionate about what they are doing or are trying to accomplish. As WDH just said, "That is inspirational!"

Regards,
Geeg

Jay C. White Cloud

thank's Geeg,

Now, feel that "poking" in the right side of your brain, that is the teacher in me going, "more, more, come on...what's next?"  Look forward to watching you create and making us all better timber wrights. ;)

Jay

Geeg

OK, now on with the build.. next step was to get the house enclosed and start getting the utilities in on time for the winter. The windows went in easy using the Prazi Beam Cutter Saw and the Hot Knife to notch out for the 2x6 frame. The windows were bought from Anderson Windows in Canada. they are double pane low "E" and PVC for low maintenance. The shingles went on at the same time to keep the elements out of the house, Grace Ice and Water Shield was used on the entire roof to make sure there was no leakage, then the IKO Armourshake shingles were used http://www.iko.com/products/residential/residential.asp?task=ProductDetails&product_id=859&region_id=18

The electrical was installed underground, the previous house had the electrical overhead, a 200amp service was installed. The furnace was also installed at this point. We have no natural gas in this area so went with a propane furnace which in the future will be used only as backup heat. the furnace installed was a 80,000 btuh Carrier MVP Infinity 94% high efficiency condensing gas furnace with ECM fan motor. We also installed a GE Energy Star Heat Pump Hot Water Heater rated at 1856kwh running about $198.00 a year to operate, now having said that, we would be only running it in the summer since the boiler will be heating this water in the winter, now in the summer the unit will use electricity to operate and the by product is cold air that will help with the home AC cooling in the summer time. We also installed a 2 ton high efficiency Carrier (Payne model) R-410A Air conditioner 14 SEER.

The water pump in the basement pulling water from our artisan well decided to stop working so we had to replace this. We also added a new technology water sofener system that does not use electricity to operate, it uses turbine blades that controls the system when the water is run.

Applying the foam before the 2x6 is inserted

Windows and doors now in.

Oops, missed one window

Tyvek while not required was added for extra protection.

The house now closed up for the winter.

And just in time! nice dumping of snow.

A beautiful winters day!

Carrier MVP Infinity 94% high efficiency condensing gas furnace with ECM fan motor

GE Energy Star Heat Pump Hot Water Heater

The old water pump that packed it in

The new water pump

Water softener system

Forgot to add this one, shows the ecobee module for adjusting the heating/cooling over the internet.

Next step was framing the interior, since it was going to be open for my shop, the wife changed this to 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
Will dig out the photos and upload - stay tuned!

Jay C. White Cloud

:o "Good Googley Moogley,"  :o

What did you say you did for a living?  That is a very neat and clean job site!  Great job.

WildDog

What a work of art, great job Geeg
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Geeg

Thanks for the kudos guys! just happy to share and maybe it will help someone who has similar ideas or plans.

Jay, I am a bus driver, take people from point A to B and I spend a lot of time waiting but hey its a job and pays the bills, not as fun as making sawdust!
Here is my bus,

ETIHAD AIRWAYS Airbus A380 | First Takeoff in full livery - YouTube

Jay C. White Cloud

O.K., now I am truly impressed!  Well, before you leave the Middle East, check out some of the timber framing in that part of the world, it is beautiful.  You could retire from "bus driving," to "Timber Wright."  I'd pile sawdust next to ya any day.

Regards,

Jay

Geeg

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on December 01, 2012, 11:10:21 PM
O.K., now I am truly impressed!  Well, before you leave the Middle East, check out some of the timber framing in that part of the world, it is beautiful.  You could retire from "bus driving," to "Timber Wright."  I'd pile sawdust next to ya any day.

Regards,

Jay

Thanks Jay!, haven't seen any TF in this part of the desert, mostly concrete and stone that doesn't last long in this climate. Basically hot and sunny 364 days a year, it rained yesterday for the first time in over a year, it was GREAT! well except all the flash flooding.

Regards,
Geeg

Leigh Family Farm

The house looks great! When's the FF Housewarming Party? Invites are in the mail, right?  ;)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Geeg,

Well, the ones I really wanted to send you to, are in the mountains in Northern Syria, alas I don't recommend a visit at this time, and they may have been blown to smithereens by now.  They had been some of the oldest, (undocumented,) domestic timber frames in the world, at around 7000 years of age.  Many generation had lived in, added on to and built on the original "dry laid," stone foundations, of the preceding structure.  Now just to the North, In Turkey, that is another story, and a great place for you to get to before you leave that part of the world.  If you really are interested, I could perhaps put you in touch with one of my friend/students from there.  A trip into the mountains with Erikin, would reveal timber frames like you haven't seen before.  Good luck and keep make'n sawdust.

GeorgeK

Awesome shop you are building. Nice ride. I am a recently laid off DC-8-73 Captain from DHL/ASTAR. Been back and fourth to your neck of the woods (sand) a few times.
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Geeg

Quote from: kilgrosh on December 02, 2012, 08:17:33 AM
The house looks great! When's the FF Housewarming Party? Invites are in the mail, right?  ;)

Well, the Party will probably be a week after our return in 2 years 204 days 23 hours. Having said that no invites are necessary and anyone here is more than welcome to come, just BYOB

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on December 02, 2012, 05:48:59 PM
Hi Geeg,

Well, the ones I really wanted to send you to, are in the mountains in Northern Syria, alas I don't recommend a visit at this time, and they may have been blown to smithereens by now.  They had been some of the oldest, (undocumented,) domestic timber frames in the world, at around 7000 years of age.  Many generation had lived in, added on to and built on the original "dry laid," stone foundations, of the preceding structure.  Now just to the North, In Turkey, that is another story, and a great place for you to get to before you leave that part of the world.  If you really are interested, I could perhaps put you in touch with one of my friend/students from there.  A trip into the mountains with Erikin, would reveal timber frames like you haven't seen before.  Good luck and keep make'n sawdust.

Jay, wow 7000 years of age, man I hope mine last that long.  Agree about Syria we use to layover in Damascus, now its just in and out.  Do you have any pictures of these TF? would really like to see them.

Quote from: GeorgeK on December 02, 2012, 06:07:22 PM
Awesome shop you are building. Nice ride. I am a recently laid off DC-8-73 Captain from DHL/ASTAR. Been back and fourth to your neck of the woods (sand) a few times.

Hi George, sorry to hear about your situation. As you know this business can be quite challenging at times, it sure isn't what it use to be and the good old days are long gone. Well at least you have your LT40, congrats on that. I actually envy you!, you have a sawmill and you flew a classic! Whats your plan, any chance of getting recalled?

Regards,
Geeg

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Geeg,

Pictures are hard, time wise and I would make the effort if I had any of quality.  I'm horrible for taking pictures, (in that I don't as much as I should.)  Erkin is going back in a few months, but I'm not sure if he will get into the mountains this trip, (his 90+) father is going to take a lot of his time.

Now, what I can do is this.  If you want to see just many different random pictures of "Turkish Timber Architecture," that I can accommodated.  Do the following, go to Google Images, and use the following (cut and paste) in the "search" box:

Kemaliye evleri

"Hımış" yapım tekniğindeki

That should get you going.  I almost forgot, "Kemaliye" is a style of timber architecture, and "Himis" is a technique.  I have never been able to get a good direct translation of the word, other that "yes, yes, timber frame."  Erikn lives here in the state's (he speaks and reads Uzbek, German, English, Turkish and a spattering of Middle Eastern languages), and we both have the same career paths.  We both timber frame in the same styles, and we both "Mountain Guide" and teach "Wilderness Ed.-Indigenous Life Skills," as it is called in the experiential education field.  Let us know what you think.

Regards,

Jay 

Geeg

Thanks Jay, Will see if I can google it.

Regards,
Geeg

Thank You Sponsors!