iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody else finding mushrooms?

Started by strunk57, April 21, 2013, 10:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Bibbyman on April 23, 2013, 12:41:22 PM

[img width=550 height=407]
This is a nice red or false morrel mushroom a little bigger than a baseball. One of five we've found since Friday. 

How were those?

I have always worried about false morels (Gyromitra esculenta). They can contain monomethylhydrazine (rocket fuel ingredient) and eaten in sufficient quantity can cause severe distress and even death. Thorough cooking in an open pan or drying is reported to drive off the toxin. Don't ever eat one raw.

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

The Hawaiians eat these fiddleheads.

This one was larger than my hand.  Those cotton like fibers peel right off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bibbyman

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on April 23, 2013, 01:13:18 PM
Quote from: Bibbyman on April 23, 2013, 12:41:22 PM

[img width=550 height=407]
This is a nice red or false morrel mushroom a little bigger than a baseball. One of five we've found since Friday. 

How were those?

I have always worried about false morels (Gyromitra esculenta). They can contain monomethylhydrazine (rocket fuel ingredient) and eaten in sufficient quantity can cause severe distress and even death. Thorough cooking in an open pan or drying is reported to drive off the toxin. Don't ever eat one raw.

Yes,  it's said that they are poisonous.   But we soak them in salt water and then fry them. Both actions drive off the poison.  Plus it's said that you build up a tolerance.   Never hurt me or mine none.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

strunk57

bibbyman....are those hollow in the middle?
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Bibbyman

Quote from: strunk57 on April 23, 2013, 04:04:21 PM
bibbyman....are those hollow in the middle?

There are small cavities but are more solid than air.

This picture is out of focus but gives you the idea.
Sawing since '94

Autocar

I'll fine that type now and then but never picked any I was always told any mushroom that solid don't eat but hollow tubes/head is ok. Ive heard about another type and they talk about skinning the outer skin off,I walk away from them also  :D
Bill

LeeB

I found one little one today. A little bit bigger than my thumb. Wasn't even looking. Almost stepped on it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Mountain State Farm

That sawdust bug bit me in the ...

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

strunk57

That's a great find, I'm goin jus as soon as I get out of this dr apt. They should be everywhere today and also goin to pick the small ones I left to grow Monday hopefully they are pop can sizable by now ill let you guys k ow later
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Bibbyman

My sister went by Tractor Supply parking lot and there were two men there saling white mushrooms for $20/half pound. Said they found over 100 pounds of mushrooms along the Missouri River.  They were searching from a boat.  Said they sold out in 1/2 hour.
Sawing since '94

mesquite buckeye

$2000 cash money. Think I'll get me a boat.

SwampDonkey

I think I'll go fiddlehead searching today. I never saw any up 2 days ago, but it's sure been warm. So they must be up. I have a patch right near the road, 2 steps off the road and start pick'n. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Still a little cool at night, nothing up yet except the purple trilliums.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ET

Here in northern Ohio I've been looking now for a few days and today I saw your post and decided to look some more, well, hello hello, I found some.  I did leave maybe 20 or more as they were still small.  I think some of the really small ones may be the big yellows yet to pop.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

coxy

where would one get a book on the ones you can eat and not eat       never picked wild ones  and people around here that pick wont tell you  >:(  thanks   those pics look yummy

SwampDonkey

I had one that was put out by the Ontario government and it went into which could be eaten. Audubon and probably Peterson have a guide book, but I'm not sure if they go into edibility.

ET

Morels are very easily identified. They look like a sponge and are hollow. They come in grey black brown and giant yellow. Normally only occur in spring when the redbuds bloom. We find them around elm and apple trees. The only other mushroom I hunt are the giant puffballs that come out in the fall 
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Thank You Sponsors!