iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old 353 Question

Started by sandersen, November 01, 2015, 05:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandersen

Well I'm almost down to the bare block on my two stoke demon except the brass/copper? bearings for the cam and balance shafts.   The manual refers to a special tool for extraction which of course I don't have...does anyone have any tips for a backwoods mechanic.  A socket and extension came to mind (1 and 13/16 fits pretty good) but I'm hesitant to bang away...they are scored a bit  though.  Two of the 3 cylinders  had taken on water as there was rust all around the liners.  Man they came out hard. The pistons aren't really scored badly but I'm gonna replace it all and then I know what I've got.  The other question I had was the two plugs in the crankshaft.  How do those little buggers come out anyway?  Thanks.
"Make every step count."

bushmechanic

Sandersen I had a couple of thick plates machined to fit the bushings and slide through the bores, you will need two of them as the outside bushings are a larger bore than the inside ones. I use a piece of 3/4 ready rod to pull them and then pull them in, crude but it works perfectly. I wouldn't even bother with those plugs unless you think the bores of the crank are full of contaminates. I'd go with a engine rebuild kit and make a good engine out of it.

Puffergas

I might have a drawing of that tool if yah want. My cold tank people did mine.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

sandersen

Thanks bushmechanic...that sounds effective...and affordable.  I think I get the idea. Is the rod welded to the plates?  I'll skip the crank plugs then too cause the crank looks pretty clean.  I probably should have it checked by a shop though as they can test it with magnetizing(?).  I'm gonna get a kit as you say and build her new.  Overall I have to say that things don't  look too bad...cam looks good, gears are good, of course gaskets and seals were shot.  But it was clear by inspecting the head that one of the injectors (No.: 3) was misfiring.  By the way...I built the official bushmechanic engine bench as previously posted and it worked great with an overhead hoist to lift and turn over the block.  Beats buying an engine stand.  Thanks. 

Thanks Puffergas...I'd like to see a drawing of that tool to picture it n my head. 
"Make every step count."

Thank You Sponsors!