iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue and Green Berry ID

Started by reelman65, September 15, 2018, 07:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelman65

Theses are in NE GA.  there didn't seem to be any tree around that could produce them. nearby trees were: hickory. WO, RO, black gum, sourwood, yellow poplar.

thanks!
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Southside

Oh I suspect if you search hard enough you will find a Quill Pig growing around there. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Are they drupes?  A drupe is a fruit with a hard pit like an olive or cherry.  They look like blackgum drupes. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

reelman65

That's it!!!  thanks!  Another mystery solved.

I appreciate it.
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

lxskllr

Like many trees, the Black Tupelo, also called the Black Gum tree and the Sour Gum, barely makes it into the edible realm. The pulp of its fruit is technically edible, extremely sour and extremely bitter, which is why it is usually used in sweetened preserves. Its sibling, the Water Tupelo is likewise edible as is the Ogeechee Lime, another Tupelo. The juice of the latter is used like... lime juice.

Tupelos: Black, Swamp, Bear, Water, Ogeechee - Eat The Weeds and other things, too

Might be able to do something with them. Free food is the best food.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Southside logger on September 15, 2018, 08:44:08 PM
Oh I suspect if you search hard enough you will find a Quill Pig growing around there.
Southside,

If he is someone please give him directions home as he is certainly lost if he is in NE Ga. either that or just go ahead and eat him. Problem solved.

When I first saw them Blackgum was what I thought of too. I never knew they were edible but did think animals ate them.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Dem dastardly devils don't dance in those woods?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Wood ducks love the water tupelo drupes.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Southside logger on September 16, 2018, 06:46:18 PM
Dem dastardly devils don't dance in those woods?
Never heard of one getting that far south. We don't have them here in WV. First time I ever saw one was dead by the road up near Bar Harbor Maine. He looked as big as a beaver but may have been laying there a few days and bloated.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Deer love those black gum turds. And the branches and stump sprouts and shoots.

I do not love trying to split black gum.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!