iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

?your area's worst invasive plant?

Started by caveman, June 03, 2018, 08:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

While reading the post about the Devil's Walking Stick tree and the similar species from Asia, I began to wonder what the worst invasive plants folks deal with in their locations.

We have several that cause significant problems.  Cogan Grass, which is often spread by the county's mowing crews is spreading like an invading army around here.

Brazilian Pepper, just a little south of me has displaced a lot of native vegetation.  It does evidently make good tasting honey though.

Tropical Soda Apple has become problematic in pastures over the past several years.

In the lakes we have hydrilla and water hyacinths.  These two do provide good bass habitat.
Caveman

Southside

Around here it's the City Transplant that causes the biggest problems.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Privet Hedge.

Kudzu in some areas.

Chinese Tallow aka Popcorn tree.

:D  Sweetgum.  :D  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

brianJ

Honeysuckle, buckthorn, multiflora rose, & box acer negundo.   Sometimes the order is different.

Roxie

Multiflora rose (thank you DuPont family), Albizia julibrissin or Mimosa tree, and poison Hemlock. 
Say when

curdog

Kudzu is the worst for us, but privet is bad to deal with as well. Japanese stiltgrass is rough on new seedlings, but once they get over the top after the first year they seem fine. We're getting oriental bittersweet moving in from our west as well as Chinese silvergrass. That silvergrass burns like gasoline and thrives with fire... and we got paulownia and tree of heaven and Johnson grass in fields , wisteria, .. definitely no shortage of invasive plants...

sandhills

Leafy spurge, erc, muskthistle, and water hemp on the farming/ranching side of life.  A lot more but most generally easier to contain. 

firefighter ontheside

This is interesting.  I've never heard of box elder being invasive.
Here it is bush honeysuckle and Bradford pear, otherwise known as Callery pear.
Is it truly invasive if it's expanding its territory due to climate change?  I would say not.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

JBlain

Honeysuckle, barberry, Mile A Minute and stiltgrass in central PA.  If you are in northern PA over 40% of all the forest is haycented fern
Josh

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Novascotiamill

Marijuana, government making it legal in the entire county this month . 
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

firefighter ontheside

I didn't know privet was invasive anywhere.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

lxskllr

Numerous vines, and I don't know what many of them are. I've noticed a steady increase over the last 20 years or so. I read not long ago that increased CO2 in the atmosphere has increased the poison ivy population. I've noticed that, and I suspect the other vines are doing better also. There's one particular vine that's insidious. I have a hard time seeing it until it's taken over half a bush or tree. I don't use chemicals on my property, so they're all cut with a knife or machete. I don't go for perfection; just try to keep it manageable.

They make work harder also. Awhile ago I set a couple control points for a job. I took prospective leaf cover into account when setting them up. I go back to do some work, and a rats nest of vines I neglected to notice, blocked visibility, and were too high and tangled in the trees to remove. I had to go play in traffic to get the job done  :bangshead:

Southside

In open ground around here it's palmer pig weed and sickle pod that is coming on strong - both nasty weeds, and being nicely assisted by just about every combine in the south.  Now there is a new reason to call Gleaners the "silver seeder".  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Autumn olive, Ailanthus, stiltgrass, multiflora rose (what is the DuPont connection Roxie?), barberry, some kudzu

btulloh

Privet.  Privet.  Privet.  Marestail, pokeweed, tree of heaven, northerners (the wrong kind), multiflora rose

And privet.

A lot of people around here have trouble with johnsongrass, but I think it's because they don't control it.
HM126

btulloh

Almost forget a real nuisance - NUTSEDGE.

HM126

jwilly3879

runmca

Ianab

Not in my specific location, but NZ has a big problem with invasive Pine trees of all things. To the extent that Lodgepole pine is now banned. Large areas of the South Island high country (open tussock land) is being taken over by pine trees, and it's costing millions to try and control them. 

Wilding conifers: Weeds
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Stuart Caruk

Himalayan Blackberry. Total pain in the butt. Starts to overtake everything and will kill small Fir and Cedar trees by overcrowding and literally dragging them to the dirt.

We're just starting to experiment with arial spraying using a DJI drone. My go to is a Bobcat and a brushhog, or a Kubota KX-161 with a flail mower, but the drone gets to places without a trail.

https://www.dji.com/mg-1
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

caveman

That must be a pretty potent herbicide for a small drone to be able to carry enough to be effective. 

In my earlier post, I did not mention the melaleuca and Australian Pines which are pervasive south of where I live by a little. 
Caveman

samandothers

For me, I fall in the bittersweet category.

Greyhound

Japanese stilt grass, Microstegium vimineum
Mile-a-minute vin,e Persicaria perfoliata
Smart/Knot weed,  Polygonum sp.
Multiflora Rose, Rosa Multiflora 

timberking

Giant salvinia on the lakes and tallow trees are coming on.  South of me , yaupon

Thank You Sponsors!