iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Full Time

Started by Deese, April 14, 2019, 01:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Southside on April 18, 2019, 10:45:49 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 18, 2019, 08:32:59 PMwhich is why I think you see so many senior citizens as sawmill owning and operating members of this forum now.
Holy can 'o worms Batman... :D Some glad I didn't post that!!  :-X
Simple fact! Jeff includes that neat little age factoid with each of our poster's ID/profile and since I now fall in that elite group I figure I can post the obvious. :o ;)

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 18, 2019, 08:32:59 PMsenior citizens as sawmill owning and operating members of this forum now
I am now more senior and sawing more than I ever have.  Yearly sawing is steadily increasing and I am supposed to be "retired".  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

They say, "the difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude". You have the right attitude sooooo....... good days a coming smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Peter Drouin

And the harder you work the luckier you get. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Mfrost459

Congrats Deese!! Sure you will do well. You have some great mentors, learn all you can from them. Dang is right about keeping yourself healthy. Good advise. Look forward to hearing about your first year milling at the next Project. 
Wood-Mizer LT50 Wide 2021 - LT-40 - 1992
EG-200 board Edger - New Holland Skilsteer - Kubota SVL95-2 skidsteer
Nyle L53 Kiln -  Nyle L200S Container Kiln

Have a great day milling!

Deese

Did not finish yesterday and stayed at a different location last night. Running a tad behind. It's 6:07AM and it's already daylight. I've got some help showing up at 8AM so things should go a little faster. You all have a great day! 
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

YellowHammer

Good job, keep it up.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Deese

Well, Saturday's sawing was challenging. Nails. Lots of them. When I hit a nail opening a log, I try to stay with that same blade and go ahead and open the other faces if possible because the likelihood of hitting another nail is much higher than usual. Then I will change the blade and continue. Sometimes that works and sometimes it does not...I also hit something deep within one log that stopped the show for about 30 minutes. I was cruising along pretty fast and the blade met something it couldn't handle and broke almost all the teeth off. Long story short, I just got back down here to finish 11 logs and relocate to another customer's property even closer to the coastline. I sharpened blades until 9:30pm, loaded them up along with 20 new blades, plus UPS is delivering more bandwheel belts and other stuff near the jobsite tomorrow. Let the sawing continue. Up in 5 hours and should be making sawdust before 6AM. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Here's a pic of some of the material I've produced thus far... Almost all 18'-20' long. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

customsawyer

Glad to see you are getting your exercise in. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Southside

Did you ever find out what the show stopper was deep in the log?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Deese

Southside, I sure didn't. Never had time to check it out. Finished the job and just now got to my room. Worn slam out. I'll figure board footage here shortly. Meeting another customer and his logs early in the morning. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

I'll triple check my math tomorrow but it looks like 8830BF. Bedtime. Back up in 6 hours. Big syp job tomorrow. I started running 1.5" wide .055" thick 7° Kasko blades today and it has turned my sawmill into a wood chewing beast. I was sawing 12" wide syp 4x12's almost as fast as you can walk. That Cat51hp was grunting today. Lumber flat as can be, even through the occasional big knot. Kicking myself for not using these earlier. Unbelievable. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Cooks AE4P Edger

WDH

That last one looks a bit PITCHY. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

I wish we had SYP
The only stuff we get is PT all fast growth cut right down the pith.
The stuff you southern folks saw looks great.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Deese

Quote from: WDH on April 23, 2019, 07:29:09 AM
Yes many of them were. When the sawblade would start fluttering, I knew pitch was building up under the bandwheel belts. Kept having to stop, remove blade and belt on the drive side and scrape it clean with a flathead screwdriver. I bet I did it 20 times. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Went to the new job this morning. Around 2x as many logs as customer said, which is good! I set up and we sawed all day long. Low production because we got all the shorter logs done first. A bunch of 6'-8' long logs. Plus I had to get them in a good routine. We just got to the 12' and 14' long logs at quitting time. Hopefully tomorrow will be a more productive day. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

caveman

Good job Deese. Nice tight growth rings on pretty clear pine.

I appreciate the performance report on the  1 1/2" Kasco bands.  John and I were talking to Richard at Jake's project about them.  He stated that we would see results similar to what you described.
Caveman

Deese

I sawed syp 1x8's and 1x10's for 11 hours straight today. Never sat down. Not once. DanG tired. Back up in 7 hours and sawing in 8. Never worked harder in my life. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Lawg Dawg

Git it! The harder you work...the harder you going to work!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

terrifictimbersllc

You making me tired and I'm already tired. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ladylake

Quote from: Deese on April 23, 2019, 08:40:15 PM
Quote from: WDH on April 23, 2019, 07:29:09 AM
Yes many of them were. When the sawblade would start fluttering, I knew pitch was building up under the bandwheel belts. Kept having to stop, remove blade and belt on the drive side and scrape it clean with a flathead screwdriver. I bet I did it 20 times.
Time for B56 belts.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Deese

Made it up before 5AM. Haha. About to head out.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Thank You Sponsors!