iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Full Time

Started by Deese, April 14, 2019, 01:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

Yes Steve, I should have ordered them yesterday. Ordering them today along with a new drive belt. It's still tight but noticing little cracks forming  
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Deese

Only got around 800BF of 1x10x10's sawed before the weather alerts started going off on the radio. Had to wrap it up at 1pm today. Was planning on going home tonight but will give it another stab tomorrow. Got me a Motel 6 room 2 miles from Orange Beach. About to try and catch the sunset. Life is rough. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

I caught the tail end of it.

Cooks AE4P Edger

Ruffgear

Deese

Finished the job and headed home. 2 more hours to go. 4088bf of syp 1x6's,8's, and 10's. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Peter Drouin

Did you offload? or did you have help on that job?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Dat's what I love about portable sawing.  smiley_thumbsup  Saws um and leaves um.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 27, 2019, 06:41:55 AM
I had 1 helper most of the time. Sometimes another man would be present. The real time killer was the edging. I edged against the cant on each log as I went. I kept the edger boards on the loading arms. The largest size they wanted was 1x10", so I had a PILE of boards to edge from the bigger logs. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

Very smart.  Edge as you finish sawing each log.  I try not to think of it as a time killer but as just part of the job and you are getting boards as you edge.  Think Positive.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

I don't know how you guys do it. I sawed about 900 bf yesterday, pulling and stacking myself, and it done kicked my butt!
Too many irons in the fire

Andries

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 27, 2019, 06:41:55 AM
Peter has the answer . . .  or the question to your question . . . barbender.
By yourself = kicked butt.

Tailgunner = full day.
Tailgunner and loaderstacker =  8)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

barbender

Yeah I know it. I've never worked my mill for a full day with a tailgunner. I need to put up a nice deck of logs and hire a young guy to wear out!😊 I don't think my poor LT40 Super, Diesel, has ever even hit 1000 board feet in a day😂 I think it feels ashamed😬

Chuck White

Use a contract, and in the contract, state that the customer is responsible to provide an off-loader!

End of discussion!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

Next thing you know you'll be pulling a B train with and edger and a sawmill like Jake used to do.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customsawyer

If someone has a big enough check I still would.

Just like this.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Deese

I parked the sawmill and made some memories with my boy this weekend. We had a real, jam-up good time wrestling in the tent. Our dog, Jace, was right there with us every step of the way. We slept down by our pond. The last pic shows what we saw when we unzipped the door Sunday morning. I think I needed it more than he did. I planted that bald cypress several years ago. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Here's my boy standing in front of it. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

customsawyer

Don't get no better than that.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Andries

Way to go man!
Those photos show that you've got the best parts of life figured out. 
😎
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Bruno of NH

I very happy for you that your busy :)
Always remember your family 
I didn't when I first started and I'm paying for it now.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Deese

Yesterday was spent doing maintenance on the sawmill and sharpening sawblades. Bad solenoid on one of the hyd pumps. Ordered new solenoid, b56 and b57 belts, autoclutch belt, new track wiper, air filter, yesterday. Capping the non-functuonal hyd pump off this morning and sawing pine later today..hopefully.
Cooks AE4P Edger

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Deese

Quote from: thecfarm on April 30, 2019, 01:47:52 PM
All I see is happy!!!!!
I am pleased with things thus far. Working double time in preparation for slower times around the bend. I'll be sawing tomorrow about an hour from home. I have a 4mbf job starting early next week. I should have done this years ago. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

barbender

Good on ya for letting the boy and dog take you camping!👍👍👍

Mfrost459

Glad to see you are living the dream. If you wake up in the morning and look forward to your work it will be a good day. Camping with your son is the best part of life.
Wood-Mizer LT50 Wide 2021 - LT-40 - 1992
EG-200 board Edger - New Holland Skilsteer - Kubota SVL95-2 skidsteer
Nyle L53 Kiln -  Nyle L200S Container Kiln

Have a great day milling!

Thank You Sponsors!