iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engine Trouble

Started by Stephen1, December 06, 2009, 10:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I was milling  wood today on my 1st day of vacation, and things were looking good. I cut some logs for a neighbor who gave me some logs and some cash, and then along came Murphy, the clutch flew off jammed the blade. That was not the worst, the keyway and the key sheared

I do not know a great deal about motors, but I think this the end of the crankshaft 

this is the inside of the clutch where you can see the key is also broken.

Can I fix this or is this the time to upgrade to a new motor?
This motor is a 10 horse Tecumseh snow king engine.
I have been wanting to upgrade to a bigger motor and this might be the time.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

fishpharmer

So how much cash did the guy give you?

Aw go ahead and replace it. 8)   
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Stephen1

hey fishpharmer, not enough for a new motor,
So---- do I go Diesel - gas - or electric
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

fishpharmer

Can't really help you there.  There's lots of folks with experience repowering that will hopefully chime in.  I always liked the quietness of electric and no smoke or fuel to deal with. Seems electric would limit portability.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Stephen1

I like the idea of electric also, except the portability, but it does not seem like I move this mill very much, I have a generator that will handle 220 but I don't know if it would handle running all day.

logwalker

Is there any shadetree in you? Weld that shaft up and take a hand grinder and put the keyway back in. What happened to cause it to do that? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

jpgreen

Hard to tell from your pics, but that almost looks like a pressed on bushing on the end of the shaft that failed?

Also- hard to tell, but it looks like that clutch and pulley set awfully far out on that shaft.

Maybe a stepdown shaft that was adapted for the machine, with a pressed on bushing to accomodate the clutch? Maybe one reason it broke that way.

If that's the case, you could possibly clean it up, and make a new bushing for it.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

sawguy21

Replacement will be the way to go. Tecumseh engines and short blocks are no longer available, the company went under a year ago, so IMHO a Briggs and Stratton would be the cheapest alternative. Honda and Robin are very good but generally a little more expensive. Diesel is nice but quite pricey.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stephen1

Okay Guys here is where I'm at now after listening to everyone here and a friends son, a small engine mechanic.

Quote from: jpgreen on December 07, 2009, 09:51:13 PM
Also- hard to tell, but it looks like that clutch and pulley set awfully far out on that shaft.
If that's the case, you could possibly clean it up, and make a new bushing for it.
what we discovered was what jpgreen has said, the clutch was placed to far out on the end of the shaft. I noticed it all along but did not know what to do about it. I have now remounted  the motor and tomorrow we are going to weld the clutch onto the shaft. I know I shouldn't but it will let me keep cutting and looking for a better price on a new motor. I'll post some pictures of what we do tomorrow.

Jim Spencer

You could repair this with JB Weld.

I have done this about 5 years ago and haven't had a problem yet.  I know when I do have a problem now I will have to replace the motor.

edwardj_

Being a small engine mechanic myself I do love JB weld...  but sad to say this isnt the place for it...   If it is possible for you to move the engine in closer I would suggest shortening the crankshaft up and if you need the threaded end on it you could re-cut the threads.  It looks like most of the keyed part of the clutch is still intact.  If you are looking to find a replacement engine and want an equivalent engine and consider the Honda Line go with a 9hp one.  If you want to go a bit bigger the 13hp.  I dont know the size of your mill so I cant suggest which would be a better choice.  Good luck on your fix/hunting

nas

Stephen, I have a 13hp honda i can sell you.  $7000.  It comes with a free Norwood mill attached to it ;D.
  I also know a good welder in Burlington if you want his info call or PM me.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Stephen1

I know you have a good motor you can sell me, the business manager has issues with the idea though. I am going this afternoon to get the welding done. we'll see how it goes

Stephen1

I went up to visit my buddy and after some talking and visiting, we welded the clutch onto the crank shaft. He had a little concern as the metal on the clutch was almost like a spring steel, very hard.   I have been using it for 2 days now and it is still on there.  8)
I was able to trade him some aluminum shingles for his wood shed,that I had scrounged for free. Nice when things work and I didn't have to buy a new motor just yet.

ladylake

Looks like you have the clutch way farther on the shaft like it should have been, I wouldn't have welded it or just a little that could be ground off easy.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Stephen1

Your right, I had to re drill the platform for the motor mount, which allowed me to put the clutch on further. The key in the clutch was part of the casting and it was broken also. We debated on how much to weld, and went with do it all. probably regret it ltr.

ladylake

With the broken key I think you did good, if you need to get it off grind what you can with a angle grinder, then use a good hole saw with close to the same ID as your shaft.  I've welded a few pulleys to shafts with no regrets, they were shot anyway and are still running good 5 years later.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chico

I would have cut the shaft or had it turned and had a sleeve made for it  and tack the sleeve maybe or have it about .005 small heat it and put it on You're prob going to have some probs from that welded shaft but hey who knows sometimes you do what you gotta do
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

ladylake

Sleeveing that shaft would have cost quite a bit, it can still be done if he has troubles. Looks to me like its going to stay on good , just so the clutch keeps on working.   Steve

ely

thats how i would have fixed it too.

jpgreen

Good fix- run it and scrap it.

It would have been way to much work to pull the shaft on that old engine and turn the shaft.

Like mentioned before, I bet the clutch hanging out so far on the shaft may have caused the problem in the first place. Now you've got a great reason to do an engine upgrade someday...  8)

olyman

Quote from: logwalker on December 07, 2009, 01:55:49 AM
Is there any shadetree in you? Weld that shaft up and take a hand grinder and put the keyway back in. What happened to cause it to do that? Joe
x's 2--i took a crank out of a 8 hp briggs, that use to be a generator engine. welded it up with a mig,SLOWLY, turned it down on the lathe, then took it to a machinist friend--and he recut the keyway. 20 dollars to recut. and 1 gasket for the side to pull the crank out.about 1.25.didnt even have to pull the head or piston--just pushed it up out of the way of the crank

zopi

white tank honda..love those things...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Stephen1

I figure
Quote from: jpgreen on December 16, 2009, 10:16:01 AM
Good fix- run it and scrap it.

It would have been way to much work to pull the shaft on that old engine and turn the shaft.

Like mentioned before, I bet the clutch hanging out so far on the shaft may have caused the problem in the first place. Now you've got a great reason to do an engine upgrade someday...  8)

I hadn't visited with my buddy in quite a while, so after much talking and socializing with some brown pops we came up with the same conclusion as  jpgreen and he didn't have the pops we had. ;D

jpgreen

What are 'Brown Pops" Stephen?  .... :D

Thank You Sponsors!