iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

It is a seedless variety but it is not a navel.  This one has greening or huánglóngbìng as do most of the remaining Florida trees not grown in greenhouses or under protective mesh.  This variety has an oval shaped fruit with small dimples or a roughness on the peel.  It is a late ripening fruit (April,May or June) and is one of the best for juice.  This tree still produces edible fruit but they are much smaller than they used to be.

These little bugs on this lemon leaf (short petiole, serrated, and pin holes), Asian Citrus Psyllids, have devastated Florida's citrus industry.  Polk County, where I live, used to be the citrus capitol of the world.  When I was a kid, every piece of land around that was not swampy had a citrus grove.  Now I do not know of a decent citrus grove within 20 miles of my place.  There are still some good looking groves in the east side of the county near Haines City or Lake Wales but the trees do not live long and need to be replaced often.
Caveman

caveman

Well, Dang.  I just spent 40 minutes writing a reply and posting a tree of the day and I guess I deleted it instead of posting - moron.

Yesterdays tree of the day was a Valencia Orange "Citrus sinensus v. Valencia".  Just a little trivia- round oranges were first cultivated on the southern slopes of the Himalayan Mountains.

Today, while my daughter and I were driving the JD gator around getting dendro samples for my class we stopped in a hardwood hammock to get a pignut hickory and I noticed several "wild", volunteer citrus trees.  Usually I find these in areas where Indians camped or the pioneer Crackers camped or homesteaded.  When these are ripe and you stumble upon them, usually on a hot winter or spring day after walking way too far without any water, they look so inviting.  Most that I have tried, even though I still will eat one occasionally, are beyond sour.

Today's tree is a reprehensible invasive species that was introduced from South America in the 1940's as an ornamental tree.  It does have attractive red berries and bees like their flowers and it also makes good honey.  Unfortunately, it displaces many beneficial native species.  But wait, there's more.  It is in the same family as poison ivy, poison sumac and poison oak.  Quite a few folks have a really bad reaction to it after being exposed.  Fortunate for me, I have never had a bad reaction form it.  If any of you have driven on I-75 south of Tampa, you have driven by thousands of them.
What is today's tree of the day?

Looks like I got it this time and it only took 14 minutes.
Caveman

samandothers

Quote from: curdog on August 16, 2019, 12:58:17 PM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 16, 2019, 12:47:21 PM
Looks like an oak and a pine... ;) :D
Winner, I made it too easy  ;D

Too easy!?!   Well I did get half of them!

caveman

Good eye.  The background trees look like a laurel oak and a slash pine.  The large tree beyond the citrus tree is a live oak.  

The tree with the compound leaves is the tree that is yet to be identified.
Caveman

DelawhereJoe

On my few trips down to Anne Maria Island I've seen your trees, but after driving for 15 hrs straight I wasn't trying to id trees at 65 mph. Your tree does look spicy though, I'll be heading down that way again come the new year.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DelawhereJoe

I don't play well with poison ivy, oak or sumac so I'm not touching that tree.

ellmoe

Often found growing with salt bush?
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DelawhereJoe

Quote from: ellmoe on August 20, 2019, 06:24:58 AM
Your right it does pair very well with a Russian salt tree.

curdog

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on August 20, 2019, 09:46:27 AM
Quote from: ellmoe on August 20, 2019, 06:24:58 AM
Your right it does pair very well with a Russian salt tree.
Well, then I guess it is a pepper tree...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

caveman

IJohnsaw is right, a type of pepper tree.  Brazilian Peppertree "Schinus terebinthifolia".  They are very salt tolerant and often displace mangrove trees along coastal areas as well as thrive in flatwoods and hammocks as long as the temperatures do not get too cold for them.  I have seen them a mile or two south of my place. Another winter without a freeze and they may be a problem here.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa219
Caveman

DelawhereJoe

Anyone have a tree fir today ?

Jeff

I can do. Should be easy. One moment.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

This yree was discovered in this less than optimal location, but I'll try to do what i can for it. I don't know of another for man miles of here. 

Dan_Shade

I'm pretty sure that it's a tree. 

Is it juglans nigra
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Magicman

I know what it is because I have seen it......but I ain't saying.  :-X  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

The leaves look like a walnut to me but the bark resembles some young Kentucky Coffee Tree samples I found.  I would not bet my hat on being right on this one.
Caveman

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

All no so far. I'm confident of the species. A friend did a positive I.D. for me a little over a year ago.  :)

ESFted

Butternut - Juglans cinerea
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

thecfarm

I have 4 on my land too. But that friend of yours did not "plant" it for me. ;D  In fact I picked up a few nuts from it the other day and will try to grow some trees from it. I mow around it now,so the nuts that fall can not grow.
Seem like only a few years ago you found that tree growing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

Are the twigs squarish?

Thank You Sponsors!