iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking of buying my 1st mill

Started by LaneC, November 22, 2013, 11:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

Hello all. I am Lane and a brand new member. I am thinking of buying my first  mill and have been researching in the right place(this forum) and I am just seeking advice. I have a bad back and from what I have been reading I might as well hang this idea up, but I guess I am like my wife says and that is "hard headed". I have never ran a mill but recently went to the Wood Mizer dealer in my state and really liked what I saw. I know there is always hard work behind the scenes, but if the advice I get deems it too physically difficult then I will let the idea pass. I would like a LT 40 Super hydraulic I think. I hope no one gets tired of replying to posts like these because I for one will pay close attention to what you all say, and I thank and respect each reply. I also would like hear about how many man hours these things run with no injuries and that they are safe. Thanks for any replies.
Man makes plans and God smiles

5quarter

Hi Lane...welcome aboard. A lot of people with back problems are producing lumber every day. It should not be a deal breaker as long as you set up your operation to do as little lifting as possible. LT40 super is a great mill for someone with a bad back. the real challenge will be moving logs and lumber. mechanize that as much as you can and don't be afraid to ask for help once in a while.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

WDH

If you have a bad back, you definitely need to go hydraulic. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LaneC

Yes sir. I would never be able to do it manually. Thanks alot for the responses. Thanks again.

customsawyer

If you have a desire to make lumber than I say go for it. The hyd. mills will make it easier on your back but there will still be some work involved.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

LaneC

Thanks a bunch. Still thinking about it. I will get a good education on this site. Thanks for all replies

47sawdust

My approach would be to follow the above advice regarding hydraulics.Try and set yourself up for success with good planning and layout.Only you will know if it the result is a positive experience.It will still be work but if you don't try it you might always wonder.A challenge like this generally instills confidence for that next idea.The mill can always be sold if things don't work out and the experience gets called continuing education.

I'm a lifelong hardheaded learner.

Best of luck,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Sixacresand

I had major back surgery and bought a LT10 two months later.  It was on a pallet and sat on the back of the truck for two weeks after I bought it until I could get some help to unload it.  The plan was to see if i like milling and get a bigger mill later, which i did.  I can save you a lot of time.  You will like milling!!  Go ahead and get a mill with hydraulics. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Nomad

Hi Lane, and welcome.  The Super might be a bit more mill than you really need.  The standard 40 hydraulic might fit your bill.  But definitely hydraulic!  As mentioned, layout of your mill area and support equipment can make a world of difference in working smarter, not harder.
     You're much more likely to be injured by a log than by the mill.  Margeson and Associates Insurance, listed on the left as one of our sponsors, could maybe give you more details on man hours per injury, etc.  The only time I've ever been hurt by a mill was a stupid mistake with a hand winch on a manual mill, and that was minor.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

justallan1

Welcome to the forum, Lane.
I would definitely find someone around you that has a mill comparable to what you want and set up a time to visit, see how things are done and possibly run it a bit. I don't know what an LT40 super goes for, or the support equipment you will need, but if you had to spend a few bucks for travel expenses before hand to spend some time around one it would be a good idea.
I feel running the mill is probably the easiest part of the whole operation. Getting logs to it are generally a lot more work and poses more dangers. It's all about taking your time and thinking a few steps ahead.
Good luck in your adventure.

Allan

thecfarm

LaneC.welcome to the forum. I have manual mill,so no help on the hyd mill part. But where are your logs coming from? Your land,buy them? You will need something to get the logs to the mill no matter what. Slabs will have to be handled.Lumber wil have to be sticked and stacked. Some of the heavy slabs might have to be cut again in half so you can handle them easier. What is the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Hello Lane, and welcome to the Forestry Forum!

Always glad to see new members coming on board!

I think if I was in your position and thinking about an LT40 Super Hydraulic, I would get the model with the controls at the head of the mill!  I think it's called Command Control!

That would save walking back and forth, or climbing in and out of the seat with each cut!

Don't forget a debarker!

Best of luck in your search!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, LaneC.  What are your plans for the lumber?

There is no question about the hydraulics for loading and handling the logs on the sawmill.  I am 70 years old, have a "bad back" and always wear one of these when sawing.

Always !!!

Now logs have to be handled before they reach the sawmill loader and lumber and slabs have to be handled as the logs are sawed.  These operations will require either a tractor/loader or manual help.

For "adjusting" logs, you will need Logrite cant hooks, LOGRITE and probably a log arch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Hi Lane C welcome to FF.  Hardest thing on the back around an LT-40 super is using the old style jacks and that isn't too bad.  With anything there is always a way to spare your back if one takes the time. Carrying heavy boards or picking up logs is a no no. 

Would be nice to see where you're from in your profile.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pineywoods

Welcome LaneC. One more thing..Don't overlook some kind of log/lumber handling equipment. I'd rather have a manual mill and decent material handling equipment than a nice hydraulic mill with no way to handle logs/lumber. When it comes to injuries, a bandmill is far safer than a chainsaw. The horror stories you hear are usually big circle saws with lots of exposed machinery. In 12 years of sawing, I did manage to smash both my pinkies at the same time by rolling a big timber on them.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LaneC

Thanks for all of your comments. I am listening carefully and appreciate all the input. I would probably just have my own timber cut and have it in a stationary place where I could possibly have people bring their logs to me. I am in Mississippi so if I were able, the winters arent very bad compared to up North, and as long as I was able I could cut during the winter. I dont want to always wonder "IF" I could have made it. "IF" is the biggest word in the world. I am asking different people about demands around here and it sounds pretty good. Thanks alot for all of the advice.

giant splinter

Lane,
Welcome aboard and as you can see tons of solid advice has already come your way and I am sure it will continue to do so, I have to agree with a few of the others that the LT40 Super is a very good choice .... but keep in mind you may not need a high productivity mill to start out with and you might want to spend the extra money on log & lumber support equipment in the beginning so that you are properly set up to deal with handling the weight of things such as slabs, cants, flitches and all the off-bearing as well as other related tasks. You can always upgrade later on down the road if needed while in the mean time you can set up your work flow and productivity to its optimum, making it effortless and easy on your back.
When you get time let us know where you are and the sawyers near you will not hesitate to spend time with you and share ideas, layout, equipment and many of the other important things that make sawing productive as well as less hard work so you will be able to enjoy it as well as get it done quickly.

I just noticed that you are in Mississippi, you are surrounded by experts in that area ... some private sawyers and a bunch of mobile and portable sawyers ......... connect up and get to meet them for some first hand and first class information.
roll with it

wwsjr

Where in MS are you located? I am in NE MS near Fulton. You would be welcome to visit and saw on myLT40 Super if convenient to you.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

mikeb1079

QuoteOne more thing..Don't overlook some kind of log/lumber handling equipment. I'd rather have a manual mill and decent material handling equipment than a nice hydraulic mill with no way to handle logs/lumber.

that's pretty sage advice. 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

m wood

Welcome LaneC.  Mine is also a manual Norwood.  I produce as much lumber as only I can handle, building what I have time to build.  Sounds like you want to provide for a lumber market, so I suppose hyds is a biggy.  Even with a manual mill I have some overkill for support equip.  Caterpillar track loader with homemade forks takes a load off any potential back strain.  I put 'em on a dead deck about 10 or 12 saw-logs at a time.Pineywoods said it about importance of support equip. Slabs are another story.  Bandmills have there set of danger areas (dont let anyone around the sawdust chut while sawing, etc.).  but I agree with others, I think my table saw presents more hazards than my sawmill.  AND +++ what piney said about CHAINSAWS.  Goodluck LaneC.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

samandothers

I will also echo Mark and Piney's comment.  I have a manual LT35 and it is just fine for me.  I have a 42 hp Kubota with a grapple on the front end loader to load and move logs.  When sawing I set the grapple near the mill deck and slide the slabs and fletches to it.  This way I am not having to do to much manual work.  My manual mill does have a manual log turner which is a manual winch connected to a claw turner. It works pretty good.  I am not suggesting a manual mill.  I am suggesting you consider the need to move logs, slabs, fletches and green boards are not light so you would best have some equipment to ' lighten' this load. 
Also if you can go visit a near by sawyer to see what is involved.  Good luck and look forward to seeing what choice you make!

LaneC

Hello all. It is really a good gesture for all of the comments I have received. It is very kind and I truly appreciate it, and thank all for input. I am in Picayune Ms. I have a 50 hp Massey Ferguson with a good front end loader so I can use the bucket or fork lift attachment to handle the logs. I love my tractor and am used to letting it do the work for me. I guess that opens up another question and that would be prefrences on diesel or gas engine, being that my tractor is also diesel. I know about the longevity of diesels and I know about some of the problems with each, but I am thinking about the 38 hp gas engine. The wood mizer guy told me he hasnt had to work on 1 yet because of thier dependability. What are yalls' recomendations?

Magicman

I have a Diesel and have no experience with a gasser, so I am of no help with the difference.   I do know that the Diesel torque curve is supposedly better and that I burn about 4 gallons of fuel in a day's sawing.

I get several calls from your area.  Kiln, Lumberton, Slidel, Covington, Poplarville, etc.  Apparently there is a need for a portable sawyer in that area.

reswire

Had to put my two cents worth in.  I've broken my back in two different accidents, had three surgeries, resulting in 5 laminated vertebrae, and 2 internal steel rods helping keep it all together.  I mill with a hydraulic mill, and the help of a younger, healthier friend!  Find someone with a strong back and a weak mind. :D :D :D 

It pays to go hydraulic, and although I don't own a Woodmizer, I looked around a dealer in Shade Gap Pa, and was impressed with both the machines, and a very professional young lady (outstanding knowledge of woodmizer products) who showed me around a lt40, lt40 super and a lt 50.  It would be great to have that kind of support and experience close at hand, when you make a such an expensive, large equipment purchase. 

I really liked the Woodmizers, and was impressed with the metal and workmanship on each model.  If I were you, I'd keep an eye on my budget, and layout a game plan on what "exactly" you hope to accomplish with your mill.  The lt 35 is an incredible deal,,, I don't believe you can beat what they offer at a price less than 20k.  Good luck with your purchase, I hope you can find something soon.  Sawmilling is more fun than,,,, well maybe not that much fun,,, but it ain't too bad either. :new_year:
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Thank You Sponsors!