iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horse saddles ???

Started by isawlogs, August 14, 2005, 07:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

This is for those of you that know about saddles ... I always wundered how one mesured a saddle for a horse . I figured that a horses saddle was like ones shoe , not every shoe fits everyone so saddles must be the same ...  :P

Inquiring mind would like to know ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Texas Ranger

I know nothing about saddles, but, I would think it would be equally important to fit the riders bottom, as well as the horses top, to the saddle.  For that matter, probably more important to fit the rider to the horse, er, perhaps I need to let more equestrian members answer.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

crtreedude

From my experience this is correct - having a saddle fitted to the horse is great - but it probably is expensive up there.

Of course, horses, as well as riders, change dimensions. Don't ride a horse for a while and they tend to put on weight, or at least ours do.

We won't talk about me putting on weight, I hear enough about it from my horse.  :D

So, how did I end up here anyway?

DanG

This is a subject that is near 'bout as complex as sawing.  Number one priority is, the saddle needs to fit the horse.  If it doesn't fit properly, the horse will be uncomfortable, or even in pain, and will either perform poorly, or pitch your inconsiderate butt into the pines, depending upon his level of discomfort.  Custom fitted saddles are expensive, but with a bit of research on the subject, via the internet, you can learn enough to know what to look for.  Just do a google search on "horse" and you'll be regaled with more than you ever wanted to know.

If you're just too lazy to look it up, just ask.  I could blather on for hours on the subject. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

DanG
    I aint by no means lazy ....  but I sure do like reading your  blather   ;D :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

Ya want it in English, or French?  If it's French, it's gonna be brief.  In English, it could get a little wordy.

What type of horse are we talkin' about, and what kind of riding are you going to do?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

What type of horse are we talkin' about, and what kind of riding are you going to do?

Quarter horse .... going to try hard to stay on top  ;D   Hey Dan english is fine ... but you can try out your french too ...  ;) :)

Marcel

DanG

Good thing you're willing to go with the English, 'cause I don't know Jaque in French. ;) :D :D

First, you gotta look at your own backside.  You look like an average sized guy, so a 16 or 17 inch seat is probably what you need.  Don't even look at anything else.  OK, that takes care of your own comfort.  Everything else belongs to the horse.

Since you asked this question here, I assume you're not planning to drop a couple thousand bucks on a custom fitted saddle.  On the underside of the saddle, are the "bars".  These padded members should ride upon the muscular part of the horse's back on either side of the spine.  Too narrow or too wide will cause the horse discomfort and make him misbehave.  If they are to wide, or too far apart, the weight will rest on the horse's spine, which ain't good.  If too narrow, they will interfere with the natural movement of his shoulder blades, which is even worse.  A horse's shoulder blades move drastically toward the rear when he trots or runs, and an interfering saddle can cause sudden pain to him, hence, causing sudden pain to YOU!

Most "generic", over-the-counter saddles use a system of telling the size that is inadequate, but it's the best we got.  The widest saddles are said to have "Quarter horse" bars.  Down from that, you will find "Semi-Quarter horse" bars.  That trickles on down to  "Arabian bars", which are really narrow.

You can try to measure across your horse's back, and find the fleshy, muscular ridges that the saddle should ride on, but that is a crapshoot for the novice.  The best way is to find a dealer who will let you try various saddles on your horse to find the one that works best.  The horse will let you know if it don't fit.

If you're stuck with buying at the flea market, or from an individual, get the widest one you can find, since you have a Quarterhorse.  Too wide is a whole lot better than too narrow.

End of blather. ;D :D :D

DonE911

as far as I'm concerned the best saddle is on the back of my polaris. Well maybe thats the best horse too ;D.  My wife is the horse person, I like horse power.... I only feed it when I want to use it and only shoe it once before I sell it and get a new one 8)

RSteiner

DanG covered it very well the only other thing I would add is the pad or saddle blanket and maybe the type of rigging the saddle will have depending on whether it is a western saddle or an english style saddle.

If your main useage is trail riding a western saddle with good skirt to spread the weight of the rider out will be more comfortable for the horse.  When the saddle sits on the horse there should be a tunnel over the horses back bone for air to move under the saddle to cool the horses back.  The area of the "bars" should contact the horses back evenly from front to back on a western saddle.

Some saddles use a plastic  type material for bars and if the rider has a good gravitational hitch these bars can cause the plastic bars to spread and actually split causing them the pinch the horse when weight is removed form the saddle.

I have an old western saddle that doesn't look like much and the seat is as hard as a rock but I got use to it becasue it fit my horse really well.  One thing about the riders comfort a western saddle with a rough-out seat, one that is made of rough leather rather than smooth, can cause the rider great discomfort.  The rough seat is less slippery than smooth leather so if your pants don't slip on the saddle seat they have to slip against your skin you can guess the outcome of that.

I always perfered rigging on a western saddle that when over the bars not through the skirt.

Randy
Randy

Engineer

The only saddles I know anything about is on a motorcycle, and for them I prefer a Corbin custom seat.   ;D

DanG

Yeah, I shoulda said something about pads.  That's why a too big saddle is better than too little.  You can make the big one a little smaller by using pads.  You can also get built-up pads that raise the front of the saddle if your horse has high withers.  The built-up can also help with the shoulder blade problem.

Another saddle fitting factor is the rigging.  You will usually find 3/4 or 7/8 rigging, but there are still some old "centerfires" out there.  This refers to where on the saddle the girth attaches.  On a centerfire, the girth is fastened at the fore and aft center....not good on most horses, because the saddle rides too far forward and hurts the horse.  If the horse has a long back, find one where it fastens 7/8 forward, or get a 3/4 for a short backed horse.  My favorite has attachments at both points.  It was made by Dave Jones, a well known trainer and saddle maker.  He made it for himself, but when his own personal behind got too big for it, he sold it to me. :D :D  He was one of those "magicians" who had a reputation for training "untrainable" horses.  He told me that 99% of his secret was in fitting the saddle to the horse.  He musta had 50 saddles in his barn.

isawlogs

Thanks Dan , heres a pic of the horse , of course when I got there he had put on a fresh manicure ...  ::)

I never did indend on getting a horse ... I was always one to go with horse power ... Diesel or gas ... But I got this one from my brother and it is one nice stallion , calm and easy to ride I also got his daughter. The deal was that I pay to have him ... how do you say it in english ... not a stallion no more .... and he is mine , daughter was free . I will be getting two more of his colts in the spring , and one of his darft horses wich are belgium .
  So basicaly I got to mesure my seat to know how big a saddle I have to get one for the horse ...  ;D

Marcel

Haytrader

Measure just under the saddle horn to the front of the back of the seat.
Adult saddles will measure like 15 inches to 16 1/2 inches.
Kid saddles may be 13 inches to 14 inches.
Haytrader

Texas Ranger

Unless it is a McCllellan, and then it is as narrow as a kids saddle, with high pommels, so you have a good seat for saber use.  Er, probably not gonna use a saber, never mind.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

pigman

isawlogs asks " ... how do you say it in english ... not a stallion no more "
A castrated horse is a gelding.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DanG

Nice big sturdy fellow there! :)  Should I assume your brother has a saddle that the horse has done well with?  If so, try to find one that will fit the horse the same way.  You can set your own tail into it to see if it fits you.  I like a generous sized seat so I can move around a bit, but some folks prefer to be pinned in tight.

That horse does have a rather long back, so I would go with a 7/8 rig, or even a full rigged saddle, where the ring for the girth is all the way forward.  Hard to tell from that pic, though, since he has his head down and his feet are not even.

SwampDonkey

That's a nice looking haus.  :) I've been around horses quite abit, but have never been involved in their care or using them. I'm kind of nervous around them to. There are some folks that have them and hardly ever ride them. I bet they can be expensive pets now-a-days.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

RSteiner

That is a nice looking horse.  I have been given 3 horses and one large pony over the years which we had great fun and enjoyment with.  The best one was a Mustang some people we knew adopted from the BLM.  They didn't know what they were getting themselves into when they picked out this 2-3 year old mare in the pen.

When they got her home they found out she didn't have much training, she knew how to eat and run and run and eat and kick at a few things.  So they just watched her run around in the pasture for several months.  One day they asked me if I wanted to take her to my house so I did.  Three months later we were going for trail rides, never had one bucking scene or run away incident.  For the next 12 years we got along beter than the wife and I most of the time.  A freak illness cut her life short.

We had a couple of other horses but now have none  :'(.

The one thing I found to be true is you don't look a gift horse in the mouth because your too busy putting hay and grain into it.  :D

Randy
Randy

MULE_MAN

Sounds like your getting into the Horse business ???  If Gas keeps
going up. I might be looking for a good horse buggy  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

isawlogs

I dont think I want to get into the horse business ... All I want is a few around to ride and to work a little with .  With the gas going up ,  just doing the hay for them will be costly enough .... just might have to get my grand fathers equipment back out and do the hay with them   :)

Marcel

etat

hey, I gots an ole mule drawn hay rake........all painted up nice I'd let you borrow.  there's a picture here on the forum somewhere but im not sure how to find the old pictures anymore........... ;D ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Thank You Sponsors!