iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how many mbf in a cord of wood?? (oak)

Started by a old timberjack, January 06, 2008, 08:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a old timberjack

i been looking all over, i read it somewhere how many board feet in a cord of wood 128 cubis feet 4x4x8 i guess it is a stupid everyday question you always forget., thanks....... Brandon
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Gary_C

The conversion depends on both the diameter of the logs and the bd ft scale you use. But despite that most people use the standard factor of 500 bd ft per cord or 2 cords per MBF.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

ljmathias

Still trying to get my mind around this- so 4X4X8 is the same as 2X4X16.  So if I had 16' logs, 12" in diameter, I could lay down two logs wide (2') and stack them four logs high, right?  That means 8 12" logs 16' long- how would this scale out then, same as indicated at 500 bdf?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Phorester

Nope.

If you were dealing with nothing but cubic feet of solid wood, say two boxes of wood chips or sawdust, then both 4x4x8 and 2x4x16 will give the same volume.

But that won't hold up when dealing with real logs.  Remember that logs aren't perfect cylinders, there is taper from one end to the other.  Most volume tables are based on the diameter inside the bark (dib) of the small end of a log.  So the question needing an answer is, where on the log would your 12" diameter be measured? 

That means the analogy of 4x4x8 versus 2x4x16 won't hold for bd ft or cord comparisons, even though it's the same cubic foot volume.

Tom

It's also important to realize that you are using two different measuring scales.  Board footage, is used for determining the lumber or timber, by volume, in sawlogs.  The board footage scale uses inside the bark measurements and is written to favor certain sizes of logs. 

Generally  a cord is considered 4'x4'x8' of split and tightly stacked firewood.  Sometimes a cord is a weight measurement in the neighborhood of 5500 pounds, depending on species, size nad weather.

Accept for some local communication, Face cords aren't a legitimate measure and are not used legally to report sales.

The quantity 500 board feet per cord is just a general rule of thumb that approximates the board footage in a scaled or weighed cord.  Variables that would effect it are log size, branches, knots, holes, rot, sweep, as well as the type of  mill used to break it down.

Climber

Theoretically / mathematically ONLY
1 cord = 4x4x8 = 128 cubic feel
board foot is 1"x12"x12" or 1/12 of cubic foot
12 BF is 1 cubic foot
12 BF in each cubic foot x 128 cubic feet in cord = 1,536 BF in cord.

It is theoretically / mathematically ONLY and NOT practically
Climber

Rocky_Ranger

It's also an apple and an orange, your board foot is solid and the 4X4X8 is not.  Solid cords run 75 - 85 cubic feet of wood.  Depends on the log size, and the fact most "cubes" figure on Smalian's formulas.  Nat Cruise figures cubes and boards, they run the gamut from 425 bd ft/ cord to 675 bd ft/cord.  Maybe even more, those arre just the ones I see - mainly around 550 bdft/cord.
RETIRED!

Jeff

Quote from: Climber on January 08, 2008, 09:22:24 PM
Theoretically / mathematically ONLY
1 cord = 4x4x8 = 128 cubic feel
board foot is 1"x12"x12" or 1/12 of cubic foot
12 BF is 1 cubic foot
12 BF in each cubic foot x 128 cubic feet in cord = 1,536 BF in cord.

It is theoretically / mathematically ONLY and NOT practically
Climber

Absolutely not practical, or possible. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ljmathias

Hey, thanks for all the great replies: I think I'm getting it but stop me if I'm wrong- trees are round, boards are flat... or am I getting close yet?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Blue Sky

A cord of wood in these parts is a stack of wood 4x4x8.  Green 4' logs.  When you cut that stack of logs up into cut and split pieces, it reduces to a stack approx. 100 cu.ft.  Is this true, anyone out there.    Enchanted Forester

RSteiner

I have always wondered why or how the unit of measure for cordwood would be used for measuring lumber.   ???  Both are volume measurements but in a very different form. 

Lumber measurement is the volume of one solid piece where cordwood measurement is the voulme of space many pieces take up.  An old Machinery's Handbook I have lists the volume of a cord of wood as 128 cubic feet, a pile 4'X4'X8'.  They figure a pile of cordwood to contain a solid volume of about 70 cubic feet, so 58 cubic feet of the cordwood pile is air.
I think the soild wood number for cordwood is more for determining weight than BF volume.

At those figures there would be 800 BF to a cord of wood.  That could be high depending on the diameter and defects in a log.  The 500 BF figure sounds more like it.

Randy
Randy

maineframer

Around here white cedar is sold by the cord, not by the thousand. That rule of thumb is helpful.
David

woodmills1

the max I can get on my trailer is 1500 bd ft of logs and it holds 3 cord of firewood......do the math. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

The loggers and wood cutters here are old school. They only understand cords, something they can scale off with a 4 foot pulp stick. Tonnes, board feet, m3 and they want it converted.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

Let's change the question slightly. If you are looking at a standing tree, how do you determine the cords or MBF in that tree?

Say you are marking a stand for cutting. You look at an 18 inch DBH Hard Maple and you know all the trees in this stand are 60 feet tall. In one case say the tree will not make a sawlog and it is pulp. How many cords?  In the other case, it is a log tree. How many MBF?

SwampDonkey

We mark based on basal area, crown closure, and quality. And stands are rarely marked here, wouldn't be 1% of harvested volume. We tried to push it for years, but it didn't take. Only thing that's marked is perimeter and trails on 99.99% of sites. In mature hardwood and softwood 24 m2/ha equals 24 cords/acre as a rule and used as a quick figure before doing the math at the office. And believe it or not it's very reliable. ;D  Mature cedar, hemlock and white pine throw that out the window because of taper. White pine for instance grows 15 meters taller than spruce and fir.  We measure and compile based on metric m3, and convert to cords using figures for 8' wood, or 4 if there is a 4 foot pulp market. Log volume is a crappola shoot for hardwoods and no one up here scales hardwood logs on standing trees. As a general rule for 'potential' hardwood sawlog trees we equate 60-70% of the volume to pulp and 30 % of the softwood sawlog volume is pulp. Anything smaller than spec is just pulp. Because quality is so poor in hardwood, it is bid on for pulp and sometimes a deal is struck to pay 50% of log price for good logs and veneer.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

I guess I have some idea how you scale a tree for MBF from DBH, but are there tables that give you cords based on DBH also?

Ron Scott

Yes, there are board foot tables and cordwood tables to determine a trees volume in board feet or cords. There are also cubic foot tables.

When marking and cruising the timber we determine if the tree is sawlog or pulpwood by species, size, and quality and then record the tree's diameter and merchantable height. This data is then entered into a computer program which determines the trees volume by board feet to an 8 inch top (International 1/4 scale) and cordwood to a 4 inch top, plus any additional cordwood in the topwood.

The computer then calculates the total MBF and cordwood volumes by species for sale. 
~Ron

RSteiner

Randy

Phorester

From Gary_C:    "......but are there tables that give you cords based on DBH also?"

Yep.  Want me to mail you one?

Gary_C

Quote from: Phorester on February 09, 2008, 08:14:36 AM
From Gary_C:    "......but are there tables that give you cords based on DBH also?"

Yep.  Want me to mail you one?

Sure, I'll PM you my address. Thanks for the offer.

SwampDonkey

Gary be aware of site index with any of these tables and suppression usually drops you down a class because height is restricted like where you have aspen beating the tops of the fir. Here in my area I have 4 index curves each for softwood and hardwood. One table don't fit all sites, unless you get what we call the average. ;) My table 5 and 10 are the averaged sites. 1-4 are softwood, 6-9 are hardwood.

SwampDonkey

I guess why we use total merchantable volumes in this region is we have total utilization. Ok, say you have a pile of chips off the planer mill over here, then a pile of sawdust off the saw and over there the jacket wood and another pile of hog fuel (bark and rot). And finally the lumber stacked for drying. How much volume (estimated basis) of each of those piles came from my land, Joe's land and Dave's land? My woods harvest was covering 50 acres, Joe's 80 acres and Dave's 15 acres. By using total merchantable volume, measured at dbh outside of the bark you know how much of each off each guy's land by scaling for the whole log, not just recoverable lumber. Seems to me unless that jacket wood and bark is tossed away someone has themselves a stacked deck. And they are selling pulping and hog fuel material that isn't being accounted for in the cruising and scaling to pay the owner of that timber. I know from the stand point of a lumber based mill you are only interested in saw material yield. But, the rest of that material has value where I come from, even though there was an additional cost to produce and move it. See why we can't use board footage scale around here in most instances? ;) We do use board footage scale on hardwood logs and veneer, and some softwood log markets. Most softwood logs are scaled on m3, cords and tonnage. But anyone can understand that price is adjusted in those scales for what isn't used as lumber. You know very well it is. In these days, it's a matter of make or break a mill when average piece size decreases like it has in the north. ;)

Okrafarmer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 07, 2008, 09:33:57 PMand convert to cords using figures for 8' wood, or 4 if there is a 4 foot pulp market.

SD, is there still a 4' market?  ??? I haven't spent a winter in Maine for a while. When I was a kid we could watch the trains go by with thousands of cords of 4' pulp logs on them, and all the old oncelers were out beating the bush with their jitterbugs and pulp hooks to take 4' fir and other species to the paper mill. Do they still take 4' any more? I thought modern efficiency had finally done away with that.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Buck

Quote from: ljmathias on January 17, 2008, 06:12:33 PM
Hey, thanks for all the great replies: I think I'm getting it but stop me if I'm wrong- trees are round, boards are flat... or am I getting close yet?

Lj
Pie are round and cornbread are square.  Hah! food for thought. :D
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Thank You Sponsors!