iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4 speed tranny for a C5D tree farmer

Started by pigpen, March 18, 2016, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigpen

So... tranny starts making some "odd" sounds on almost last drag of the winter season, take it out and figure I'll just bring it in and have it gone thru right? Well.... got the call today, she's junk! It's a New Process Gear tranny model 4590 and ratio 669 I believe. ANY help on finding parts, used one, a parts machine, WHATEVER! I really need it back up and running! Thanks in advance! Stay safe and log on!

xalexjx

i went through the same thing on my old machine,, couldnt get any parts, ended up using a similar one and had to swap the input shaft and retainer. maby an sm465?
Logging and Processed Firewood

ohiowoodchuck

What's junk about it? I would think any competent machine shop could make a shaft or gear for it. There's not much to the older standard transmissions. Find out what is bad before giving up on it.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Frickman

I once had a C5-D forwarder with a four speed. When the whole transmission wore out the local gear shop built me a new one from new to me parts. case and everything. I think they may have charged me $400.00. They were happy to get rid of the parts as they may never have another one come through their doors. The old timer that built is was grinning from ear to ear as he hadn't worked on anything like it in years, I really made his week.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

pigpen

not going to give up on it yet, but looking for a timely way of getting it back pulling wood as i have some oak to do up before April 15th due to oak wilt... i have found a C7 tranny thats behind a 453... anyone know if they are the same?

so il logger

You might try Schaeffer enterprises at Wolf Lake Illinois. They have almost always had the used part's i needed.

pigpen

i did call there, but they almost laughed when i told them what i was looking for, but was asking for the whole unit vs parts. i will have time inbetween trucks tomorrow to call them and ask. thanks!

ohiowoodchuck

West side truck parts in Owensboro Kentucky has one listed for sale for 650.00 out of a ih.

Corley5

Weller Truck Parts rebuilt mine a couple years ago.  Was about a week turn around on it.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

pigpen

Thank you guys! i will call west side and weller today, I have a weller not to far from me.

Logger RK

On the question if C7 transmisson with a Detroit 453 would work. I've got a 7 with a Dana P4-300. 4 speed torque converter. I've heard they put Clark transmisson's in them also. Do u know what kind of transmission u found on that 7? I've been looking for a direct drive to put in my 7,if that's what you found & are not putting in yours. I also have a C5D,but it has a 5 cyl Deutz & 5 speed direct drive. I think a 7 transmisson would b a little crowed to fit in a 5 frame. I thought awhile back a guy I talked with about the older 4 & 5's transmisson's could b swapped out with either a one ton dodge or IH truck. Not sure if that's a fact? Maybe some one on here would know?

Corley5

My C4D forwarder has a New Process that was used in Ford trucks but the ratios are different.  It's a 5 speed but 5th is locked out along with reverse.  They're there  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bushmechanic

You can still get parts for those New Process transmissions. I have used transmissions from three ton Dodges to replace Timberjack ones. I have also took apart IH cases and used the parts to fix Timberjack ones because the case would not bolt directly into the reverser box. Pigpen what is gone in the box? If the case is good then everything else is replaceable. Newstar sells parts for those New Process transmissions. I have rebuilt quite a few of those and very rarely is everything gone, unless you ran it without oil.

pigpen

to answer a few questions here, i am going to look at the c7 today sometime. my transmission i am told by the fella that usually builds my pickup trannys that the input and output shafts fit together mid ship in the transmission case, the bearing went out and chewed up the bearing surfaces on the shafts, he didnt take it apart any further at that point and has no resourses to find parts for it. (imo he didnt want to or didnt have the time to research it) So I am now thinking I will be learning how to do it or buying one of the 2 that I was tipped off about on here. I checked with weller truck parts and they have one rebuilt and ready but want my left arm for it and the other one in Kentucky I am trying to find out if it has the correct input shaft in it and if not trying to find where i can get one and also all the bearings and shims to freshen it up. logger RK if i dont use the 7 tranny i will report back to you and let you know what i find... i will take pics also. this 7 is complete (no tires) at this point with a bad engine is all.

AS ALWAYS, THANKS TO ALL FOR THE INFO AND KEEP IT UP! stay safe everyone!

pigpen

bushmechanic, where is Newstar located and is that the exact name? and as far as whats bad in mine sounds like just the input and output shafts but possibly another gear or shaft looks like it got hot so im told... im gonna try and tear into it this evening and see for myself, been a busy few days here, tomorrow should start lightning up! haha ya right, right?

Logger RK

The problem I see with me putting a direct drive in my 7 is I'd have to take my tourqe off the bell housing to put the tranny on. But my Hyd pump is mounted on it. I did end up with a 4 speed off a 435 when I was putting a rebuilt in last spring. But I would also need a manual transfer case to go with the 4 speed. I do have a C4 with a 353 & 4 speed direct drive. The 4 speed off of the 453 is at least twice the size of the one on 353. I think the bigger one had something to do with mining? I suppose I could put my Hyd pump off the end of the cam balancing shaft if I did switch to direct drive? Some pictures of the one your looking at,& working on would be appreciated.

pigpen

will do, no problem. be in touch soon.

mad murdock

If you had a good machine shop available, they should be able to weld that shaft and regrind it to original dim. for use again, unless the gears are bad.  As long as the bearing bore is good, you could keep on trucking. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bushmechanic

pigpen, Newstar is a brand name of truck parts sold by S&S truck. I'm not sure if they sell in the USA but they do in Canada. Google it.

Logger RK

I made a call a couple days ago to a guy I know parting out a C5. He just left me a message that the tranny's gone.  :(

pigpen

Well I sure appreciate the effort on helping me out with finding another one. As far as my parts go, all gears are physically in great shape but one is a little blue due to getting hot. Other than the discoloring and the center bearing between the input and output shaft and some general wear and tear everything is fine.

ohiowoodchuck

If the shaft where the bearing goes is wore. Have a good machine shop tig weld it back up and turn it to size. Should last a long time.

UN Hooker

I had the head of a valve lifter break off and wipe a lobe off a cam from a old G-193 Continental motor. They even found me a good used lifter, did a super job and charged me a reasonable price.  I would give them a  call and see what they say.

Our address is:
Hart's Machine Service,
106 North Main Street,
PoBox 13,
Cecil, Ohio, 45821
  419-399 4777

You could also call Dan at Midwest Transmission in Zumbrota  507 824 2012, he has tons of good used parts reasonable, if you do talk to Dan, tell him John from Conn. who builds the super HD NV 4500 trans. told you to call him, it might (get your foot in the door )  ;D. On my way to Superior, I usually stock up on hard parts, I can truck them home a lot cheaper than shipping!!
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

pigpen

Great news! I stumbled across a new rebuilt transmission for my C5!  8) How I do not know, but wasn't but 40 miles from me too! It will be in the woods tomorrow pulling wood providing everything works.

Logger Rk, the tranny in the C7 I know of has an automatic in it so no dice on a direct drive. What would be the advantage of a direct drive if I may ask without sounding like an idiot?  I've always wanted an automatic or powershift?

Logger RK

Glad to hear you found a tranny. I was thinking there'd be less power loss to the tires with a direct drive. My C5 has direct drive. I do like the tourqe converter tranny in the 7 because of being able to shift on the go. But the 7 has a hard time spinning the tires on dry ground or pulling the front off the ground in 1st & won't in 2nd. I did rebuild the converter last spring & it is some what better. But after getting information from this forum,I believe I need my rebuilt 453 that I put in last spring also,adjusted so I'm running the proper rpm's. Unless I'm expecting more out of it then I should? I do know the 7's a lot heavier then the 5 so I guess we'll see.

Thank You Sponsors!