iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First saw

Started by Sadlerracing529, January 20, 2019, 07:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sadlerracing529

Hey everyone, new to the forum here and new to chainsaws.
I am looking for recommendations on a good saw for my needs.
I have just very light work to do around home, and i have some clearing to do and trees to cut down and turn into firewood on my hunting land. And when i buy my next house in the next couple years i plan to heat with wood so the saw would need to stand up to that amount of use as well.
I dont have much experience and have only owned one cheap junk saw and cut down a handful of trees.
I have been looking at a Stihl Ms 271 farm boss or the Husqvarna rancher but just looking for advice either for or against these saws as i dont know if they would be the best fit for my purpose and am trying to learn.
Thanks in advance everyone

wild262

First and foremost, welcome to the forum!  :) You came to the right place, as were all here to help out, and to give you the info you need to pick your first saw.   I see you have run a saw but not a lot, correct?   I would start out on the smaller side 35-45cc, or maybe a 50cc to start with, then work up to a larger one as you see the need and get more experience.   You have your hunting land I take it, so do you know how big the trees are that you might be cutting so we will know what size saw to recommend to you?  What is your price range you would be willing to spend?  What brands do your local dealers carry?  Sounds like Stihl is one.   Give us alittle more info so we can give you some recommendations.  ;)

DDW_OR

Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo are my recommendations.
I have the following
Homelite - 120v electric
homelite 4618c - gas
husqvarna 45
jonsereds 81
poulan 1420 14 inch
Echo CS-310
the ones i grab when going into the woods are the Echo and husqvarna, in that order.
the Homelite 120v is used at the mill.
"let the machines do the work"

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.  As was mentioned budget is one important component here, sometimes it is better to get "less" saw if the quality is a step up over the option.  Dealer support is huge.  It's not only who sells what, but who can actually work on what they sell and will they stand behind their product.  I am a Husky guy for that exact reason as I have a great dealer nearby.  

Something in the 50 cc range will give you nice options on bar length that should fit you needs and not break the bank, while giving you good longevity with basic maintenance.  The old adage that "there is no replacement for displacement" holds true with saws.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

A hearty welcome to the Forum! You are in a good spot and ask a good question. First let me say if you fill out some of your profile information the smart folks here will have an idea of where you are, etc. and be able to provide a little better advice.
 I think for what you describe, a 50cc class saw would be your best all around saw to get started as wild hinted at. The rancher falls in this category for sure, I don't know much of Stihls. You want something as light as possible that will do the work you need. 60-70cc is a bit much for bucking and felling UNLESS you are dropping some really big trees. Optimally, a 50cc saw will have around an 18" bar with 20" being about the max. This will get you into some pretty big trees. I use a 50cc myself, but have been encountering some fairly large trees occasionally and am looking at a 70 cc for those 'once in a while trees', perhaps a clone. But that's me.
 For you, take your time, ask questions, make sure you understand the answers you get ( I didn't when I bought my first saw, just thought I did). The things that are important to you a year form now, won't be things you even thought about when you bought that first saw. Chain pitch, bar length, gauge, electronics, tuning, adjustable bar oil pump, may never matter to you, or they might matter a lot, as they did for me when I honed in on what I really needed and wanted.
 Finally, use the search feature here on the forums and plug in the model numbers of the saws you are looking at. It will give you a wealth of information, both good and bad. There is a ton of info buried here and many people with unique knowledge. You will get out what you put in. If you participate in the conversation, you will be gaining  more knowledge. If you just read the advice offered and don't respond, the value may be limited. Just my 2 cents. Again, welcome and enjoy the group.  8)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

lxskllr

I've said before I'm fond of 20cc steps between saw classes. I'd try to anticipate the future, and build around that. If you were to get my saws, I'd start you with my echo cs400, then later when you need something bigger, you'd get my Stihl 362cm.

If you were to start with a 50cc saw, which isn't the worst idea in the world, especially for a homeowner who will only have one saw, it puts you in an awkward position to expand. Holding my 20cc plan; going down puts you at 30cc which is too small for general use imo. It's nice having a light saw for limbing and stuff, but it's kinda extravagant if you're trying to conserve money. Going up puts you at 70cc which is a pretty beefy saw, and may be overkill for your intended purposes.

I like both of my listed saws a lot, but of course they aren't the only good ones out there. You'll want to stick with brands that have good dealer support where you're at/will be.

Just some general musings, and it all hinges on my 20cc concept which may be bollocks, but something to consider, and see if you think there's value in it.

edit:
To expand on why I think 20cc increments is a good idea...

Saws 20cc apart can reasonably do the work of adjoining saws at each end, so there's no gaps. For infrequent use, a 60cc saw can do the work of a 40 or an 80 cc saw. If that infrequent use becomes more frequent, you can then get a new saw to reliably cover that scenario.

Inaotherlife

I ran a Stihl 009L, that I bought used, for years as my only saw. Came with 14 and 16 inch bars and I cut all manner of stuff with that saw.
A great size and weight, and as long as your not running any races it would cut way beyond it's size.

I agree with a couple of other posters.

I'd put the 50 to 60 cc saw on the backburner until you actually get that house that your going to heat with wood and get a lightweight 35 to 40 cc saw to start.
This would fit your very light trimming and trail work better, and you'll still enjoy having the smaller saw even after you have the need for a larger one.

I'd look at Echo and Makita as well as Stihl and Husky.

I like buying new saws. But wouldn't rule out buying used if you can find a clean lightly used saw for around half the price.
Just be sure to check all the common wear items like filter, bar, chain, and sprocket as these items can quickly turn what seemed a good deal into expenses that bring that used saw back near the cost of a new one.

Also, I probably wouldn't choose a Rancher or a 271, as these saws are heavy for their class.
I like lightweight for displacement.
My 50cc saw is an Echo CS-490 that's almost 2 pounds lighter than the 271.

DDW_OR

also invest in a GOOD chain sharpener.

the saw only cuts as good as the chain.
"let the machines do the work"

firefighter ontheside

For a first saw, I would recommend a Stihl MS251.  It's a great size saw.  Not too heavy, but a strong saw.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Hooterspfld

I'm gonna vote for Stihl MS250 and start out with a 16" bar. This will most likely do most of what you'll be looking for at a pretty fair price. Take in mind if you buy a saw new or used and take care of it, it's fairly easy to get rid of it without losing a signifigant amount of your investment. I also don't ever like going cutting with only one saw. So say you start with the MS250 and move up to a 271 or 362, you're probably not going to get rid of the 250, keep it on hand to do what it's capable of doing and as a backup. Just my 2 cents. I started with a couple 250's, next the 362, and now have a 661, but thats for milling which is a whole different animal. 

Ianab

Size of your trees matters. Locally we tend to have larger trees, so my first new saw was a MS310 / 20" bar. Basic firewood / farm saw here. It's not a "great" saw, but it's been 100% reliable, and if it's not cutting right, it needs a sharpen. 

Because of the larger trees, I ended up buying a Dolmar 7900 (79cc) which is a "pro" grade saw. That happily runs a 28" bar, but isn't stupidly heavy to use. So I agree the 20cc gap between saws. If I buy another saw it will be a lighter (~40cc) saw for limbing and pruning.

The suggestion to buy a 50-60cc saw with an 18-20" bar are sensible. You can firewood a 3 ft dia tree with that ( with a bit of cunning and patience). But you aren't lugging around a boat anchor all day.

Sharpening kit is a MUST. The chain WILL get dull, especially when you are learning and sometimes end up cutting dirt. If you can sit down on a stump or tailgate with a file + guide and get the chain cutting right again in 5 mins, it's no big deal. 

Get some basic safety gear too. Forestry helmet and chaps as a minimum. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Allar

Welcome to the forum  8)

Since you're new to chainsaws, i wouldn't go to 50cc right away.
Imo, 40 to 45 cc would be ideal for you.

I would say that Echo Cs-410ES might be a good choice for you.

Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

ladylake

Another vote for a Echo CS400, everyone likes them.. If you can pull the limiter caps and tune they can be bought new on auction site for around $225, otherwise $300 at a dealer who may or may not tune them properly. With a muff modd they cut as fast or faster than some 50cc saws.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Air Lad

Some great advise here
For mine I love the Stihl ms260c
Light enough for backyard chores
Ballsy enough to take care of some larger timber and tough enough to learn and make mistakes with ( hard to break)
Awesome all round entry level machine ( not really entry level but will be around for years to come) 
And down the track a 460 etc as a step up
Cheers

wild262

Quote from: Sadlerracing529 on January 20, 2019, 07:08:41 PM
Hey everyone, new to the forum here and new to chainsaws.
I am looking for recommendations on a good saw for my needs.
I have just very light work to do around home, and i have some clearing to do and trees to cut down and turn into firewood on my hunting land. And when i buy my next house in the next couple years i plan to heat with wood so the saw would need to stand up to that amount of use as well.
I dont have much experience and have only owned one cheap junk saw and cut down a handful of trees.
I have been looking at a Stihl Ms 271 farm boss or the Husqvarna rancher but just looking for advice either for or against these saws as i dont know if they would be the best fit for my purpose and am trying to learn.
Thanks in advance everyone

Lots of good advise here to ponder over.  But it would still be helpful if you would get back with us so we could know more about your set-up,  tree size on your property, budget, age, your physical condition, and ect.  All this is helpful to find the right saw for you, and that's what were all here for.  And as "Ianab" said, PPE is very important as well.   Looking forward for your follow up.

Inaotherlife

I agree with a few posters here that a CS-400 or an MS-250 would be a good all around, middle ground, starter saw.
They'll do a lot without being too big or heavy for the lighter jobs.

Old Greenhorn

One thing not mentioned here, but along with PPE, as a newer user, you should consider getting some training in a good program. Again, we don't know where you are, but on the east coast, mostly in the north, is a program called 'Game of Logging' which provides first class training at 4 different levels. I have been through classes with both experienced cutters that need it for certification, as well as folks who bought their first saw the night before and everyone learns something and finds it useful. If you can't find any information on it, just ask and one of us will get you pointed right. Check in with us and let us know if these comments are helpful or not.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

JohnW

I would recommend that you get a 50cc saw or larger, if you just have one saw and you plan to use it.  As for brand, I'd say Husqvarna, Stihl, or Echo, just get the best dealer.  Unless you're a very good mechanic, you'll need help maintaining your saw.  If you can figure out where the loggers and arborists go, go there.  You'll be amazed at the difference in dealers.

Old Greenhorn

I am guessing that the OP either lost interest, or is not getting anything of value to him from the information offered as he hasn't given any feedback or followup. Did we say something wrong?

wild262

That's why I quit posting until I hear from him.  Maybe we will hear something out of him in a day or two. 

Inaotherlife

I don't know. I thought a smaller saw now and a bigger saw later was a good idea.

Who wouldn't want to have two chainsaws?

Southside

Quote from: Inaotherlife on January 21, 2019, 10:54:39 PMWho wouldn't want to have two chainsaws?

Maybe I need to get out more as perhaps I lead a boring life, all my saws are 372's ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Inaotherlife

Quote from: Southside logger on January 21, 2019, 10:59:48 PM
Quote from: Inaotherlife on January 21, 2019, 10:54:39 PMWho wouldn't want to have two chainsaws?

Maybe I need to get out more as perhaps I lead a boring life, all my saws are 372's ;D
Yeah, but you got all those woodmasters and woodmizers and stuff. And cows.

Air Lad

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 21, 2019, 10:29:17 PM
I am guessing that the OP either lost interest, or is not getting anything of value to him from the information offered as he hasn't given any feedback or followup. Did we say something wrong?
We said nothing wrong
Stay strong "Old Greenhorn"
There will be many more seeking advise and wishing to "chew the fat"
Cheers

wild262

Quote from: Air Lad on January 22, 2019, 05:53:57 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 21, 2019, 10:29:17 PM
We said nothing wrong
Stay strong "Old Greenhorn"
There will be many more seeking advise and wishing to "chew the fat"
Cheers

Air Lad is right.  We said nothing wrong.  Us ole gezzers just get impatient. :D

Thank You Sponsors!