iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A fireplace in the works

Started by D Hagens, March 22, 2011, 05:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Hagens

So my fav brother and his new bride to be (she's really cool) are getting married and my wedding gift is to build them a new fireplace.
So I started off with this.

I took all that down and the bricks behind it.

Grabbed the PL 2000 and the ram set and started to shim things out.
 I ran the string line to make sure everything will be true. Plenty of shims are behind it now. :)

Skim coat, skim coat and more skim coat and then it will be ready to set the tiles.
Here's a pic of the tile that they picked out. $12.00 a tile so I better be like a doctor and measure twice and cut once. :D

Coon

Looking good.   ;D  With a few more stiches you'll have it complete.   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Peter Drouin

What are the shims made of ? and is that drywall over the shims?  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Warbird

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 22, 2011, 08:03:32 PM
What are the shims made of ? and is that drywall over the shims?  :)

I had the same questions.  What code are you building this to?  Sure will look nice when it's done!

D Hagens

The shims are 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 inch birch ply. The pic shows just a few of them.
The shims are glued and set with shots. The drywall is glued and screwed to the shims.
The job is done to code and there's an insert going in, hence the lack of fire guard drywall.
Still waiting for the city inspector to swing by to give me a permit but most of the times he never does as he knows my work and my work ethics. :)

Warbird

Ah...  an insert.  That makes sense.  I was slightly worried there.  LOL  Nice work, D.  Please post pics when it's completed?

D Hagens

I did a little bit more today, built the hearth and skim coated the wall.

3/4 ply and I will be set for tiles. :)

Boy do I suck with the spiral saw! :D Had a diamond bit in it........
  Building the pillars out of maple, still thinking of an idea for the top...........suggestions would be great. :)

clww

I've always burned wood in a fireplace, myself. What kind of flame and heat do you get off those tools? :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

D Hagens

Wish I could burn the tools, 17 years of this has been long enough :D :D

D Hagens

Well in between jobs I've been making progress and all the tiles are set and grouted.

The hearth is done and one more coat of thin set and the floor will be ready.

I have the pillars built and the two part mantel is built and stained.
Will be installing the unique design at some point next week. 8)

Warbird

Nice!  Can't wait to see a pic of the first fire once the insert is installed.

D Hagens

Thanks Warbird :)
  It's been a slow progress but things are getting there :)
  I just love doing fireplace jobs where I with the customer, design and work together and I'm alone in the shop to do what I'm good at :)
Just noticed that these last pics have none of my coffee mugs in them :D I really love my on to work coffee 8)

beenthere

No coffee mug, but I did notice the pillows.  ::) ::) :) :)

Nice work on the FP too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Coming along nicely. Are you using Red Alder?  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

D Hagens

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 17, 2011, 07:07:54 AM
Coming along nicely. Are you using Red Alder?  ;D
:D :D :D Oh I remember that thread :D :D
Beenthere them are comfy pillows, I have the cot that matches it :D :D

D Hagens

Well I built the pillars and the mantel, stained it all and installed it :)

I also built the mirror frame, stained it black to off set things plus it matches the leather furniture........kind of one of those things where you need to be in the room to understand what and why I did what I did.
 Here's a pic of one of the pillars.

And here's the mantel, I kept it simple so that the focus will flow with the insert when it comes in :)

Warbird

Wow!  That looks very nice! 

Magicman

I had to scroll back up and look at the beginning.  You performed a wonderful transformation.   smiley_thumbsup

You can be proud and they can enjoy it.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Looks good. Looking forward to seeing the insert.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!