iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SOLVED:  BANYAN Tree

Started by CHARLIE, November 07, 2002, 09:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

Guess what this is.  Tom, DanG and Fla_Deadheader are disqualified!!!

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

CHARLIE

Nope.....all the mangrove I've seen grows in marsh water. The wood from a black mangrove tree is very dense and has beautiful grain.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

CHARLIE

Well....yeah but not specific enough Paul_H.  I'll give you 1/3 credit. :)
Charlie

Paul_H

Ficus Benja,beng,  Banyan?

I better head back to my plant links.

Paul_H

CHARLIE

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Paul_H GOT IT RIGHT!!!  It's a Banyan tree (my book says it's a Ficus bengalensis, but Banyan is good enough!).

There was a huge one about a block from where Tom and I grew up. We'd cut the bark and collect the sap and make rubber balls. The DanG sap would get on our hands and wouldn't come off. What a mess!  We called it a rubber tree.
Charlie

Paul_H

Charlie,
I've got to confess,I remember reading about that tree,and neighbourhood memories that Tom wrote about,way back.It was a vivid mental picture.So that helped speed things up.

There were two choices,Ficus bengalensis,and Ficus benjamina.I didn't have a good picture so I picked one(wrong one) and had the othe copied and ready to post.

Is that the same tree I would have seen in Maui?It was huge!

CHARLIE

I dunno....never been to Maui....

My book says the tree grows principally in India and Burma. But I suppose it grows anywhere it's tropical.
Charlie

Paul_H

I found this picture on the web.It is in Lahaina, Maui.Thats the one that I was thinking about.They are a beautiful tree.

CHARLIE

Charlie

Den Socling

That reminded me of this awesome tree that was across the street from our hotel in Waikiki. As my wife said, you could live inside it!

Bro. Noble

Oh I think you guys are just making up those wierd looking trees with funny sounding names--------they aren't even listed in "Trees of Missouri".

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Missouri?  What kind of tree is that? :D

Den Socling

The picture that I posted of the Banyan in Waikiki lost a lot in getting it squeezed down to fit this forum. That's my son who's 6'2" standing in front of it. I have an enlargement in my office. I have looked at it many times and thought "just how would you cut that tree down?".

Tom

Didn't lose much, Dennis.  That's one humongous tree in anybody's book. :P

Thank You Sponsors!