iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

poplar

Started by iain, October 30, 2004, 01:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain

just sawed up the first of the burry black poplar logs
beut grain and colours, creams, yellows, greens, reds never hacked into this timber before hows best to dry it and keep the colours (should have pics on the moro) its 2" through & through and so good looking i want to lick it ;)

any thoughs?

iain

Tobacco Plug

I woldn't lick it.  You could get splinters! :D
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

DanG

Hey, 'Backer plug! I was all set to issue forth with a hearty WELCOME, but then I seen who you was. Well, shucks!  Welcome, anyway. :D :D

Like the new handle.  Can we just call you "chaw" fer short?

Iain, I just got my first little stack of Poplar in the shed, too. Captain and Chris Browne whacked it up for me, up at Moultrie. Did a nice job of it, too. ;D  I just stacked it like everything else, to air dry, since that's all I got right now. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbeard

DanG, I believe Iain actually has "real" poplar, a bit different from our tulip poplar ( which is actually more of a magnolia, botanically ) I would think that black ( lombardy? ) poplar wood would be a lot like cottonwood ( carolina poplar ) as far as drying, which, in my limited experience means a tendency to warp and twist and check. Maybe try to keep it somewhere it can dry as slow as possible and park a lorry atop it?   :D Keeping it out of the sun may help to keep the color, as well.

iain

i got me some "populus nigra" grows very well thtough out most of europe

iain

Thank You Sponsors!