iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

@nativewolf
Looks like a good candidate for a block face with a snipe on the stump with a small kicker on the butt. Should give you a good amount of room to gut the heart without taking away from hinge strength.

BargeMonkey

@ Nativewolf- I walked past a couple bigger sticks 4-5' on the stump- today but the stuffs been out in the "pasture" for so long it's going to stay there. 

I know what the forester is up to, if I was a handcutter I wouldnt even bother going down some of these side trails cutting the junk that's marked, getting to put the roads in for the big cut. 100yds past my Timbco I've got 60acres of BEAUTIFUL wood bought, 24" hickory and HM maple everywhere that's going to get SMOKED so yeah I will play the games and cut your roads in 😂 

I think it's a neat idea, kid sent me a picture of how it turned out for the wedding. 
I know some of you guys havent been thru the Catskills, think NY is all blacktop 😂 I went from the back end of Delhi, down 28 to Andes, Margertville, Big Indian, up 42 and to the END of Spruceton valley with that thing behind me tonight, more wood along the roads than we will all cut in our lifetimes. 

clww

What's the total length of that with the trailer rig behind you? Looks long to me.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ehp

Native , I deal 99.9% with 1 mill, he buys my veneer and everything from what I call junk to the good stuff , yes that same mill your talking about came here but I never sold them a thing nor did 99% of the other loggers , Our soft maple is to white for them and cannot mix it in with everyone elses . We cannot ship our big logs to them and you got to load whatever truck they send . Not worth my time and this mill takes care of me and they draw the logs from me

ehp

those big oak like that we got send for making timbers out of , Mill cuts them up to 24 inch by 24 inch by whatever length up to 32 ft long , On that bigger long stuff they just send 2 truck with loaders on them to load the real big logs , or if they got a real special order for huge timbers they will send a big wheel loader to load the logs if 2 pickers cannot lift them

ehp

not sure what they do with 36 inch by 36 inch timbers but have sent logs that were cut into that

nativewolf

Man, I wish your mill was closer to me.  Can you imagine someone complaining the maple is too white?  Idiots.

We have a large number of wonderful clear large oak to cut this fall.  Customer is getting antsy.  I can't imagine them dropping off a wheel loader for me...gesh that is wonderful.
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

Quote from: clww on June 04, 2019, 02:18:16 PM
What's the total length of that with the trailer rig behind you? Looks long to me.
Its basically the same length as a 20ton tag, 26ish ft, looked that over before I left. Got eyeballed by 2x troopers, as long as your as close to legal as possible they dont bother you too bad. I'm just glad it was done yesterday, today started "rectal exam week" for the creeper clowns and the revenue game, all of our stuff is legal but I dont care, my trucks not moving till monday, told the log buyer that today. 

mills

Any doubts that God doesn't watch out for loggers?

Never got to pull a log last week. Tried to make up for it the last two days.

Not sure how much bft sitting here, but I'm estimating about 50,000 gal. capacity of good ole Kentucky bourbon.  :D :D :D

Skeans1

The before 

The after hair cut treatment 

GRANITEstateMP

Them woods look good after the haircut Skeans1!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

olcowhand

Quote from: Skeans1 on June 04, 2019, 12:13:58 AM
@nativewolf
Looks like a good candidate for a block face with a snipe on the stump with a small kicker on the butt. Should give you a good amount of room to gut the heart without taking away from hinge strength.
(In my best "Jethro Bodean" Voice): "I don't have no ide-er what you just said....."
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Skeans1

Quote from: olcowhand on June 05, 2019, 05:03:04 PM
@nativewolf
(In my best "Jethro Bodean" Voice): "I don't have no ide-er what you just said....."
It's a style of face used that allows the hinge wood to flex vs snap or break mainly used on big heavy timber you need to save out. It's exactly as it sounds you have two sight cuts then bore the sides to remove the block(face) cut. Snipe is a cut used on the stump to get the butt to slide off, the kicker is in the butt to do the same idea. Normally a snipe is used if you want the butt to jump off the stump on the ground faster where as a kicker will get the top down on the ground first. If both are used together you end up with no butt damage.
 This one is one of my larger firs well the redwood is borrowed from Madsens 

doc henderson

Quote from: Skeans1 on June 04, 2019, 12:13:58 AM(In my best "Jethro Bodean" Voice): "I don't have no ide-er what you just said....."
sounds like you just need ta do some cipherin @olcowhand 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

olcowhand

Quote from: Skeans1 on June 05, 2019, 10:30:27 PM
@nativewolf
It's a style of face used that allows the hinge wood to flex vs snap or break mainly used on big heavy timber you need to save out. It's exactly as it sounds you have two sight cuts then bore the sides to remove the block(face) cut. Snipe is a cut used on the stump to get the butt to slide off, the kicker is in the butt to do the same idea. Normally a snipe is used if you want the butt to jump off the stump on the ground faster where as a kicker will get the top down on the ground first. If both are used together you end up with no butt damage.
 This one is one of my larger firs well the redwood is borrowed from Madsens

@Skeans1 Thanks for taking the time to explain. I continue to be amazed by the level of knowledge and skill demonstrated by some of you guys- and the patience you use to explain to us.
Steve

nativewolf

@Skeans1 hey a logger and a barber too!  Looking good!

On the that tree's little cousin we used a slightly modified humbuldt, came down without cracking.  Even got a nice 32" limb.  It's got me a bit cautious about this one though for an unusual reason ...skidding and trucking.  Need 10' logs to be safe on our truckers standards and a 50" 10' long green oak log weighs just a bit more than the little skidder wanted to move.  Ok, didn't want to grab it with the grapple either.....sigh.  So we have a crane coming Monday and we'll slowly move the whole dadgum thing to the landing (lucky it is close) and load it.  Heck, it will look like PNW logging with a whole tree on a truck.  50 oaks on a 10 acre woodlot stretching along the Potomac river, looking down at the Chesapeake bay.  Every cut is supervised by a bald eagle or osprey or two.

Should have added...WO's that mineral stain...made me cry...two of them .. :-X.  You don't get to cut many 40" WO wish they had been ok.  Veneer buyers still drove 5 hours to see them but they did not get top dollar at all.
Liking Walnut

olcowhand

@nativewolf You don't have to type slow on my account; I know what a Humboldt is....
What majestic Trees you're taking there.
Doc, I know my cypherin' and gusinta's (no, you didn't sneeze)....

nativewolf

Quote from: olcowhand on June 07, 2019, 07:45:06 PM
@nativewolf You don't have to type slow on my account; I know what a Humboldt is....
What majestic Trees you're taking there.
Doc, I know my cypherin' and gusinta's (no, you didn't sneeze)....
@olcowhand Yeah they are wonderful.  Sadly, they are at the end of life, the white oaks were dying at the top of the crown and had significant issues throughout the stems.  The red oaks have been blowing over coming into corn fields and driveway.  The site has had more visible wildlife than any I have worked on.  Eagles, turtles...so many types, fox, racoons, coyote, deer, rabbit by dozens, squirrels.  The only thing I have not seen that I would expect are around are bears and turkey.  Guessing we make too much noise.  
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

I've got a couple bears on this job I would like to give away 😂 Had one get nosy Wednesday morning and wasnt small. 

Piles of bear crap everywhere on this job, those ledges are 10-12' high, plenty of room to hide. 
Rocks ??? No rocks here. 😂

Keep dumping wood on the ground. 
I'm working 2 jobs about 2 miles apart, if it gets wet I go to my own job, dry-ish 😂 I go work on that ash job. Picture doesnt quite describe the whole we knocked in here, you can only really see 1/3 of it, delimber sits on the hill. 

The horror, handcut and slash by hand 😂 3 triaxle loads in 2 days not counting firewood, cant cry about that at all. 

That's 50" on the stump, less and less of it around here, got 3x 10s and 1x 8' before the first crotch. 

Couple more days and this jobs smoked. 

Old Greenhorn

Looking good Barge! I can't believe you've nearly finished up the high lot since I saw it last week. What I saw was a lot of tough cutting left to do. It's a sham to see the big ash all going with nothing coming up to replace it. It makes pretty wood.
 That other lot with all the pecker poles is so big it's hard to tell if the delimber has moved, so many trees. Yeah, that's a big cut and the photo can't show the other side of the knoll. I had trouble just keeping my feet trying to walk through there, but I did make it to the hole. You need to get yourself one of them drones to cruise your lots. I am certain that is a legitimate business expense.  ;D
 As for your bears, you just keep those fellas on your side of the hill, OK? We have our own and I am finding the same signs here this past week. Even found a dump in the middle of my front lawn when I was mowing last Sunday, Really? I haven't seen one show up on the game cam in 2 weeks, nor have I heard them moving through at night, but I have some new flat lander neighbors who keep putting their trash out on the roadside to feed them, so it's easy to track their visits.
 Keep cuttin' and keep looking up.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

John Mc

@BargeMonkey - are you ever going to fill out your profile so we know what part of the country you are in? I pick it up now and then from the context of a thread, but then I forget, and not every thread has such context.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 08, 2019, 05:57:00 AMEven found a dump in the middle of my front lawn when I was mowing last Sunday, Really?
Sorry Old Greenhorn, that weren't a bear...  I was cutting through NY and had to make an Emergency Pit Stop :o
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

BargeMonkey

@ John Mc - I will have to check, I thought it said, even put one of those pins on the map 😂 I'm in Gilboa NY, literally 1hr from anything, dont blink as you drive thru. 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 08, 2019, 05:57:00 AM
Looking good Barge! I can't believe you've nearly finished up the high lot since I saw it last week. What I saw was a lot of tough cutting left to do.
I havent put a serious dent in that ash job yet, lower parts about cut but the upper parts going to be fun, alot of that's going to be faster with a saw and bulldozer. The job we did the class on is about 3 good days from being smashed. 

Thank You Sponsors!